Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times

Advertisements

Don't prison guards get paid very well and you can be dumb as a door knob?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM

202 posts, read 265,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Unless you want to become a police officer, there's virtually no "career" in 2014 that doesn't require at least SOME college or Trade School...
On paper it might require little or no college to become a police officer, but many police academies now are strongly preferring candidates who have at least a bachelor's degree, preferably in a subject like criminal justice or sociology.

Physical therapy assistant, radiation technologist, and air traffic controller pay very well and require only an associate's degree. Even those programs have become competitive for admissions, at least for two-year degree.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Don't worry, I think he has some college now to help with the job search.

He just granted himself a PhD in common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
And? My PHD is in common sense and I made sure to listen to OUR DOCTOR. Big Pharma has some mighty deep pockets. Its amazing with ALLLLLL this research still no cures for AIDS,Cancer,Autism,Etc Etc Etc...its one big money machine..they cure stuff they don't make as much money!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM

295 posts, read 337,964 times
What about going to linemans school and working being the person who works on telephone lines or electrical power lines? They make a very nice salary. Or think about joining the electical workers union and become a union electrician and you will basically learn a very in deman trade for on the job that will pay you very well.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
On paper it might require little or no college to become a police officer, but many police academies now are strongly preferring candidates who have at least a bachelor's degree, preferably in a subject like criminal justice or sociology.
This is not true. 99% of police departments don't care about college major. Most police officers will tell you not to major in criminal justice because it's not needed and will limit your options if you ever have to leave the field. I'm doing a research project on this in my doctoral program.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Don't prison guards get paid very well and you can be dumb as a door knob?
Yes, you can be somewhat dumb. A lot of agencies have a written exam, but it's usually very easy. The pay is not high enough for the amount of danger and stress that comes with the job. The median salary for correctional officers is just under $39k.
Correctional Officers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 08-29-2014, 11:16 PM

430 posts, read 379,790 times
Some great suggestions thanks everyone! Think I will look into several especially in the areas we are looking at moving to. Mostly interested in Electrical,HVAC,Plumbing,Ultrasound Tech since wife already works in medical field that would be cool...

Old 08-30-2014, 01:45 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Some great suggestions thanks everyone! Think I will look into several especially in the areas we are looking at moving to. Mostly interested in Electrical,HVAC,Plumbing,Ultrasound Tech since wife already works in medical field that would be cool...
The community college in my county has certification programs (all less than two years) in all these fields except plumbing. The names in the college catalog may be slightly different than what you've listed; for example, in our local community college:

Electrical = Electronics Technology, Electro-Mechanical Technology
HVAC = Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Ultrasound Tech = Sonography

I think all of them are two year programs here, most likely they would be in your area, too.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
You can get into HVAC pretty easily, most of the companies are always looking for gophers, it does not pay well, but if you stick to it for a couple of years they will train you to be a tech. Same with plumbing, I have friends from both lines that I have known since high school and not one of them went to a formal school for it. I have a feeling it is the same for electrical work. Most of the time they just hire someone for a low starting wage and want to see if you will show up and work hard, if you do that over time they will move you into a better position/job through their own training, and of course the money goes up pretty quickly once you get there.

Also do not believe those that say you have to have a college degree for every job out there, fact is there are plenty of jobs out there without a degree. However they almost all start with a terrible 1st job that pays very little and the work sucks. They are in machine shops, the oil field, blue collar type work, and many others, you just have to work your way up and it takes time.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Also do not believe those that say you have to have a college degree for every job out there, fact is there are plenty of jobs out there without a degree. However they almost all start with a terrible 1st job that pays very little and the work sucks. They are in machine shops, the oil field, blue collar type work, and many others, you just have to work your way up and it takes time.
This applies to most jobs you get when you first start out with a college degree, too: it doesn't pay very well, and the work isn't what you'd thought you'd be doing when you got your degree. I wanted to transition to clinical counseling after 35+ years in software development, and got a Master's degree; my starting salary on graduation was $28K per year, and after five years, I was making $34K. I'm back in IT now. A college degree (or even a Master's) isn't a guarantee of a salary or a job when you get out ... and you'll either get out with no savings left, or a bunch of student loans you don't make enough to pay off.

I think the two-year community college route makes a lot of sense today for many, especially for the fields that are in the most demand today (like medical fields). It won't put you forever in debt, and there is actually a demand out there; two friends were studying to be radiologists, and said it was a very competitive field ... a lot of jobs around, but also a lot of people trying to get them. They do help you find internships and a position, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment