Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There are jobs, but it's for people that only want to live in a high unemployment area like Las Vegas. You are more interested in leisure than a living wage.

It reminds me of the advice that Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs gave to a fan.

A Fan Asks Mike Rowe For Life Advice... His Response Is Truly Brilliant.
Or how I like to call it the buffet method. In dating they have speed dating, in employment it maybe staff agencies like a labor ready. There isn't a real way to "try to see you like it." I am not condoning the fan's theory of wanting a fun job with good pay and is never routine, but Mike's advice of treating the job like a date just doesn't work. You can't go out on one date with an employer and say it isn't working out unless you have another in the wings. With dating, you'll likely find another option fairly easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
In your case, it's you.
No it isn't. I just applied for 5 jobs yesterday and the phone still hasn't rung.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:40 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
No it isn't. I just applied for 5 jobs yesterday and the phone still hasn't rung.
I assume you applied on Friday. Today is Saturday and the start of a 3-day weekend, so I doubt you'll hear anything before Tuesday or Wednesday of next week at the earliest. What kind of positions were those 5?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Oh no 24 whole hours with no calls?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
There probably are jobs but one for me does not exist. The ones that don't require work experience are either not in my area, janitorial, fast food or construction. I'm forever screwed. Everytime I apply for ones I'd be okay doing they just ignore me.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Oh no 24 whole hours with no calls?
Based on my experience it's always the same. Hear nothing.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Trying to find a job is getting to be increasingly more boring. I'm trying not to think about it anymore and just give up but it's really hard. I wish I could give up completely because I'm not getting any progress. If there's no progress to my search, what's the point? I'm insane. I'm doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. I need a new way of finding fulfilling paid work but I'm just not finding it.
"I tear my heart open and I sew myself shut. My weakness is that I care too much"= story of my life

I'm getting the life sucked out of me. Can't someone just come and find me instead of me having to look anymore? I don't have the emotional energy to carry on anymore.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
When you can't even get yourself in the "being considered" pile for the local fast food joint then there is a problem and it's not the person looking for the job. It's like trying to win the lottery.
Very often it is the person applying for jobs, that keeps them from getting jobs.

I read thread here at City Data, where people complain they cannot get a job. Then they in other threads, tell how they will not answer any questions, that are not directly about the job itself. They will not take simple tests. They are angry that the employer gives them a personality test to see if they will fit in with the rest of the crew people. They demand to tell the employer, when they can be interview not make their schedule work with what the employer needs and has available. They simply make themselves not acceptable for the job. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Quote:
When fast food employers complain about not finding employees when there's such a high rate of unemployment, the bolded is always the case...

In this case, if it's in a nice area of town, you likely have a person who had a lot of spare change on their hands to buy a franchise, but doesn't have a single clue on how to manage a business or supervise employees...

Only parts of the country have high unemployment problems.
3% to 5% is considered full employment, as that percentage of the population is not presently employed for one reason or another. Such as quit one job, and starting another the next day. Or taking a few days off, before starting a new job that is already arranged. There areas of the county down to less than 3% unemployment. The OP may be in one of the areas, that has no employment problems such as Western North Dakota where they put signs in front of McDonald's they are starting people at $22 an hour. They run a short crew as they cannot get enough employees, and if a couple of them get sick, etc. and not working that day, they really have to shut down for the day due to staffing problems. This is one reason that fast food employers are going to self order computer systems, and a machine that prepares the ingredients, fries the meat,and makes up hamburgers.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Very often it is the person applying for jobs, that keeps them from getting jobs.

I read thread here at City Data, where people complain they cannot get a job. Then they in other threads, tell how they will not answer any questions, that are not directly about the job itself. They will not take simple tests. They are angry that the employer gives them a personality test to see if they will fit in with the rest of the crew people. They demand to tell the employer, when they can be interview not make their schedule work with what the employer needs and has available. They simply make themselves not acceptable for the job. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Only parts of the country have high unemployment problems.
3% to 5% is considered full employment, as that percentage of the population is not presently employed for one reason or another. Such as quit one job, and starting another the next day. Or taking a few days off, before starting a new job that is already arranged. There areas of the county down to less than 3% unemployment. The OP may be in one of the areas, that has no employment problems such as Western North Dakota where they put signs in front of McDonald's they are starting people at $22 an hour. They run a short crew as they cannot get enough employees, and if a couple of them get sick, etc. and not working that day, they really have to shut down for the day due to staffing problems. This is one reason that fast food employers are going to self order computer systems, and a machine that prepares the ingredients, fries the meat,and makes up hamburgers.
Well yeah they don't want to take simple tests because those questions are so dang tricky. Granted I found a way to pass but now that I did, those places don't seem to have job openings anymore.

I don't know about anyone else but I can agree that I am the one keeping myself from getting jobs. However, you say that like you think it is changeable. No matter how you slice it the writing is on the wall for me. If I can't get ANY answer from the employers I have applied to then I'm going to keep being insane because no one is telling me what I need to do to get those jobs. The only answer I ever get is from random people to volunteer or move which isn't a viable solution for a person like me.
No one should be an island yet this woman is. Apparently I'm too stupid to get a fulfilling job in this world so I need help but the people who can actually help don't want to. It's only those who can't help that want to.
I don't know why I even try. Whatever solution that is out there for me is being hidden from me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-30-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Those tests aren't really to match people up to the kind of job being offered, but more simply just a weed out tool. Some of the questions on those are biased against people with mental illness. I can tell you aspergers isn't a mental illness even though some people will call it that. It's more of the way a person's brain is wired from birth. You can blame the stupid media for calling it a mental illness. Now Bipolar disorder, that's more on the mental illness side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment