Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,970,153 times

Advertisements

Saw this posting today from a local company. The last paragraph was as follows:

Quote:
The application should be clearly marked XXX (Ref. 5) on the envelope, fax cover sheet or e-mail subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates must abstain from contacting the XXX office for information on the selection process. Any candidate that in any way tries to influence the selection process will be disqualified immediately.
I've never before seen this kind of wording on any job posting. Having hired a number of people in the past, I was always impressed with those who did check in to see how the process was going, either by phone or email.

Given this is a partly commissioned sales position, you'd think they'd want someone with initiative and follow-through skills.

What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,134,702 times
I don't think you are missing anything and they are very clear in what they are doing.
It actually helps them weed out potential employees without them having to do much if any leg work.
If one does not follow the specific instructions their applications is shredded because they cannot follow simple written directions.
It probably cuts their number of applicants by 1/3.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't think you are missing anything and they are very clear in what they are doing.
It actually helps them weed out potential employees without them having to do much if any leg work.
If one does not follow the specific instructions their applications is shredded because they cannot follow simple written directions.
It probably cuts their number of applicants by 1/3.
So you're saying they only want to hire passive idiots for a sales/marketing management position. OK then.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
So you're saying they only want to hire passive idiots for a sales/marketing management position. OK then.
That's what you get in an employer's market...

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Those would be your words and nothing I wrote even suggests that nor does it insinuate it.

I was very clear in my explanation as to my opinion on why companies do what this company did.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,381 posts, read 80,775,059 times
Whether it's the years of experience, multiple degrees or certifications, being currently employed, or as in this case not following directions, companies that are getting flooded with applicants are looking for ways to reduce the numbers.
We currently have an "entry" level admin position open that starts at $23-30/hour, but requires 1 year college and 4 years experience, preferred is AA degree and 5 years with some specific experience related to the jo. We will still get 100 or more people that don't meet that applying to wade through.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Those would be your words and nothing I wrote even suggests that nor does it insinuate it.

I was very clear in my explanation as to my opinion on why companies do what this company did.
Have you ever hired for outbound sales?

I have. Many times.

I can understand that perhaps they're completely process-driven, which is about the only way you end up with this kind of recruiting method. But in doing so, they'll likely be eliminating the best prospects, considering they're hiring for sales.

Thus they want passive people, who by that characteristic, are not best suited for sales.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,558,570 times
People are getting more and more aggressive. Add to the mix those who are angry all the time and feel the companies they apply to owe them something, and it becomes clear why they are trying to avoid some of the antics they have to deal with.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Have you ever hired for outbound sales?

I have. Many times.

I can understand that perhaps they're completely process-driven, which is about the only way you end up with this kind of recruiting method. But in doing so, they'll likely be eliminating the best prospects, considering they're hiring for sales.

Thus they want passive people, who by that characteristic, are not best suited for sales.

Why are you wanting to argue this point with me?
I don't care, I was simply answering a question with what I know is the answer because I worked for a company who did the exact same thing.
Not for my position but for other positions within the company.
I don't rely on anyone else and do not have to apply or interview, I have my own company and I can tell you that most people cannot follow simple written directions.

When I state I need specific experience and cannot even consider with less than that specific experience and requirements I still get unqualified people and have to turn them down.

I know some of them are simply applying to keep in line with their unemployment requirements but that does not negate the fact that they are wasting my time and resources.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,856,833 times
Quote:
I have my own company and I can tell you that most people cannot follow simple written directions.

When I state I need specific experience and cannot even consider with less than that specific experience and requirements I still get unqualified people and have to turn them down.
THIS IS SO TRUE.

Our pet sitting and dog walker associations are always talking about this. My friends advertise with very specific simple instructions like:

"Put 'Responding to dog walker position in Philly' in the subject line of your email and attach your resume.

Can I tell you very FEW do it.

But MANY MANY MANY start calling and bombarding them and wanting to argue why a person who used to work in a bakery would make the PERFECT pet sitter.

Or even though the job description says you must live within 10 miles of [wherever] people from 25 miles away want to argue the point.

When I owned a pet shop I had work rules like NO acrylic nails and must wear enclosed shoes and they even wanted to argue THAT during their interviews!

Laugh a minute hiring, that's why I work alone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment