Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 885,084 times

Advertisements

OP - for God's sake, how old are you??? You're making this waaaay too complicated.

This is what you should say: "Things are not working out. I am leaving. Good luck with your start-up." End of story.

Until you said you're a guy, I had the impression it was a 20 y-o girl who wrote your posts. Grow a pair and get out of this toxic environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Thanks and you are right. I think the challenge I am having internally, is that I had so many hopes and dreams with this place and this boss. So it's very hard to move one. But my friends, family and everyone on this board is telling me to move on. On the contrary I don't think there is a single person that has told me to stay (other than a couple of other people). It's just a very hard decision and I think venting it out here, and just trying to really confirm that the decision is right is very difficult.

I had never felt so passionate, motivated and excited about a job or company. I was like that until a month and half ago, and it just came crashing down. Inside I keep telling myself maybe I should give it more time, but I am starting to dread the work and I prefer when my boss isn't around and not in the office. Big problem which is why I should leave.

You are inappropriately invested in this company. You don't own it. The owner isn't your father, brother, or son. You shouldn't care about what happens. It's honestly not your concern and continuing to repeat this is keeping you tied to your job in an unhealthy way.

If you love the work and are passionate about it, go find a job elsewhere and learn as much as you can about the job, operations, finances and management and start your own company.

I predict he will get upset when you turn in your notice and you'll rescind your resignation. After all of this that you've given up, and put up with, and after posting that you are going to turn in your notice, here you are posting once again that you "should" leave.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,810,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You are inappropriately invested in this company. You don't own it. The owner isn't your father, brother, or son. You shouldn't care about what happens. It's honestly not your concern and continuing to repeat this is keeping you tied to your job in an unhealthy way.

If you love the work and are passionate about it, go find a job elsewhere and learn as much as you can about the job, operations, finances and management and start your own company.

I predict he will get upset when you turn in your notice and you'll rescind your resignation. After all of this that you've given up, and put up with, and after posting that you are going to turn in your notice, here you are posting once again that you "should" leave.
No, I am leaving for sure. Perhaps "should" was the wrong word, but I am 100% letting him know tomorrow. Whatever his reaction is, I don't care.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 AM

So I gave my notice yesterday. The great thing? I feel good, relieved and happy.

He took it ok. He told me that I had to stay until December (uhm I am employment at will). I told him that I would stay as long as I could until I start a new job. If it's October it's October. If it's December then it's December. I was also told that by leaving that I was crippling the company, and I was thrown through a guilt trip. Didn't work.

The nice thing? I already have an interview today and one line up for next week. One of the criticisms I always received from him was I am not resourceful, so how's that for resourceful?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm happy to hear you didn't cave in and agree to stay until December. He's ridiculous for telling you that you had to stay until December and telling you that by leaving you would be crippling the company. Does he know how to run a want ad?

Good luck with your job interviews - I hope you are hired by one of them so you can leave asap. Keep us posted.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm happy to hear you didn't cave in and agree to stay until December. He's ridiculous for telling you that you had to stay until December and telling you that by leaving you would be crippling the company. Does he know how to run a want ad?

Good luck with your job interviews - I hope you are hired by one of them so you can leave asap. Keep us posted.
Thanks everyone for your support! I feel so much better and feel this was the right thing to do.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM

29,462 posts, read 22,444,203 times
I thought you'd get a job offer first before letting anyone know you're quitting?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I thought you'd get a job offer first before letting anyone know you're quitting?
Honestly, I couldn't take it anymore. I was beginning the job search and wasn't planning on saying anything, but yesterday on the phone for close to an hour, he pretty much scolded me and criticized me per usual, only this time it was more intense. Yesterday, I had it. Job or no job, I wasn't going to be treated like this. I came to realize that I do have my faults, but I am not the problem. In the past 3 months he has fired 6 of the 7 freelancers that work for us, because they are never good enough. I am not good enough. That is what I keep hearing over and over and over, and yesterday it was the final straw. I had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment