Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
That's what you get in exchange for those low, low prices!

Discount stores run on thin margins so there's neither the money nor the incentive to keep the shelves neatly stocked or a bevy of registers open. The Target closest to my house is usually fully stocked, clean and at least half the registers open at any time, and it's the same at Costco and Whole Foods. Compare that to the closest Wal-Mart, which looks like a Soviet Russian retail experience. The shelves are a mess, the floors are filthy and there is never more than three registers opened at one time. But, hey, shopping there can save you $.30 on that Tony's frozen pizza!

It's almost as if it costs money to have nice things delivered with good service.
People cannot understand that the pennies or dollars they are saving on toilet paper or their mystery meat burger come at the cost of slow/poor service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I haven't noticed this at all where I live. Places seem pretty well staffed in general.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Put America back to work!

I keep saying that every time I go to the local stores and restaurants now days. No matter where I go there is a problem with understaffing. Huge long lines at the only cash register working at the grocery store and huge lines at the few working self checkouts too. The food is slow to come out because they did not hire enough cooks. Dirty dishes sitting at the table for a long time because they don't hire enough bus boys. I rented a car on a recent trip and there was only one line open and 15 people in line in front of me. I could go on and on.

You may say, then shop some where else. Problem is nearly every retail establishment is understaffed with terrible customer service.

You thoughts and experiences please!

I have to agree with this. Where I live, many of the fast food locations have one person working the grill, one prepper, and one cashier. The manager is covering the drivethru and trying to bounce between the window and helping put orders together.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I haven't noticed this at all where I live. Places seem pretty well staffed in general.

Not the case where I live. The Super Walmart that they built about 10 years ago is not only laid out horribly, but they have 30 registers, and usually only have 4 open... 2 express lanes, and 2 regular lanes. Not to mention there are no express checkouts. I mean seriously, if you're never going to open even half those registers, then WTF do you need 30 registers for? I avoid the place if at all possible. At least the other grocery store in town, while they are smaller have less registers, only have 1 express lane open, and 2 other regular lanes open, they usually have a number of self checkouts open.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
If people get incised about not getting checked out instantly when they go to checkout, they need perspective and a life.
Is the depth of their indentations proportional to the length of the line, or the length of time they have to wait? Some lines may be longer, yet move faster. This would seemingly cause shallower indentations.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Costco definitely needs better line management.!!!!

There is no excuse for what the customer has to put up with just so they can give Costo their hundreds of dollars!!!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I was at a privately owned grocery store last week and they had baggers for the cashiers at the checkouts. But the problem is that business is down so they cut hours and they've also moved towards more part time employees instead of full time in many national chains.
I won't blame Obama for this, that would be like blaming the lamp on his desk. He's just there and has zero input in domestic policy for good or bad.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Take out and self checkout is the way to go.
I don't like self check-out. That lady (the voice) can get nasty if you don't put an item in your bag fast enough for her.

I have not found lines to be any longer over the past several years. Seems to depend mostly on what time you shop.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Costco definitely needs better line management.!!!!

There is no excuse for what the customer has to put up with just so they can give Costo their hundreds of dollars!!!!!
So, I guess it's safe to assume that Costco customer have deep indentations. I'd really like to see what that looks like.

We used to shop at Price Club a lot before Costco bought them out. As I recall, checkout was always pretty fast.

I've never been to a Costco, but we had a Sam's Club membership for a while.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
it would be nice if there were maps in some of the huge home stores... nary a soul for help.. tumble weeds blowing round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment