Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times

Advertisements

It partly has to do with the state of the economy, I suspect. In many locations and industries, there are more applicants than good jobs available. So the employer figures it costs him/her to get back in touch with applicants they don't choose to hire, and why spend the time and $ if you don't have to? When the power shifts back to applicants, some may change their behavior. Some of them also are blind about the importance of dedicating resources to their people, so their managers, HR people, etc are over stretched--and this is just one indication of it. I see it as more of a problem with the company or top management than rudeness or ineptness on the part of lower level people. If the top brass considered courtesies or smart long term recruiting as a priority, they would ensure it gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Also, some recruiters are truly bottom feeders. Some have to get a certain number of contacts for their weekly quotas, so they may just be yanking your chain.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I am actually shocked when the recruiter gets back to you at all. Most of the time I only hear from them if I move on to the next step!

Amazingly in my latest job hunt the recruiters were more helpful and sent personal rejection notes.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
I will say, candidates are often equally guilty as recruiters. Things I have observed as someone with hiring authority:

1/No questions from the candidate during the interview.
2/No follow up, thank you emails.
3/Misspellings on resumes.
4/Sneakers.
5/Ringing telephones/text messages

I recently had one candidate send a thank you email but used only the subject line for his text...

2/ I always either sent "thank you" letters or called to say thank you. It never did any good.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM

256 posts, read 462,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I interviewed for a position a few years ago. Interview didn't go great in my opinion so I wasn't surprised when I didn't hear anything. About three weeks after the interview, I get an offer letter in my email inbox. No call, nothing, just an email with a salary offer that I was to sign and return. It was bizarre.
Same happened to me!!! I received an offer letter in my mail. I was really excited for that job but I decided to reject it due to this behavior. I think it is extremely rude way to make an offer.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 PM

256 posts, read 462,748 times
It is normal and do not be surprised! They are not horrible people but recruiters are extremely busy. The major reason is that people keep applying jobs like they are playing lottery therefore there are so many unqualified applicants in their queue. If you are strong candidate, they will definitely contact with you but if you are just a candidate, do not expect a special treatment.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:37 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
Did you follow up with the decision makers, the CEOs you interviewed with? Do you know what taking initiative is? I am serious. A lot of folks leave the process of getting a job in other people's hands. "Hey, I sent in my resume, what else is there for me to do! If I am qualified I will get the job".

How about follow up.

How about thank you e-mails.

How about asking for the interviewer's business card so you can follow up.

How abput picking up the phone and calling them.

They are the ones you need to get interested, not the recruiter or HR.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
It's very rude and the tide will turn one day. I once interviewed with a company where I went on 4 interviews (2 of them over the phone) and silence! Bunch of clowns running that company. Karma will strike them one day.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:42 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
At least an email. Even a mass email sent to whoever was interviewed. That takes maybe a minute, tops.

Its very rude and inconsiderate. In addition to a few debacles with getting brought on at a few different jobs, I really have no respect for most HR. They simply don't care.
They've replaced lawyers, politicians, and used car salesmen for least respected occupation deservedly so.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
They're not evil, just lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search