Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are evaluating her options. She hasn't been able to get a job in her field for one reason or another and if it doesn't happen before the end of the year, we want to look into the possibility of her taking some sort of training. She has a BA degree in the graphic design field currently. She is 32, so retraining for something that could land her a career even if it takes the next 2 years would be worth it I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
What does she want to do?
What are her strong areas?
What fields ARE hiring in your area right now?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What does she want to do?
What are her strong areas?
What fields ARE hiring in your area right now?
She wants to do creative/design work, but either it's too competitive or her skills are not right or something. She gets some call backs, but nothing solid yet.

I think she is really good at sales and she agrees but hates the idea of doing it for a job. Maybe there is a job out there that is not 100% commissioned sales. She has production/traffic coordinator background, not really what she wants to do, but it's been a few years now and she feels like it's time to find a career even if it's not something she absolutely loves. She's working restaurant now and wants out ASAP. She knows all of the Adobe programs, html and website design, but these days you need to know all that plus coding and a million other things. Since she's been out of the market for sometime, she's been learning this additional stuff, but it seems that people with experience beat her out since she gets the interview but no offer.

Our area is hiring a lot in healthcare and technology. We are looking to move, so my thought is to get trained in something that can apply to many geographical areas. Like accounting, nursing etc. Those are just examples. She would like something in the computer, tech or design field.

I honestly am out of ideas.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
She would like something in the computer, tech or design field.
It would be good idea to get certified if not trained in such areas.

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
Sales is a great job and most places do not do 100% commission. If she hates it, she will not be able to get a job and be succesful at it. Many hospital and pharma sales reps probsbly earn more than the doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
It would be good idea to get certified if not trained in such areas.
Any specifics? She has a BA degree in multi-media design. What kind of training are you referring to?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Sales is a great job and most places do not do 100% commission. If she hates it, she will not be able to get a job and be succesful at it. Many hospital and pharma sales reps probsbly earn more than the doctors.
Do you think you can get a job in sales without exact prior experience? She is a server at a restaurant and it's all about upselling. She always gets awards for highest $$ amount in upsells etc. If she's passionate about it, she can sell it, I've seen her do it.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Marketing or freelance graphic design.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Do you think you can get a job in sales without exact prior experience? She is a server at a restaurant and it's all about upselling. She always gets awards for highest $$ amount in upsells etc. If she's passionate about it, she can sell it, I've seen her do it.
Its hard to get top sales job without any experience. My recommendation would be for her to start in an entry level position and get an year or two experience. A lot of entry level sales can start at $40-45K base plus commission of up to $20K.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,594 times
If she is in to graphic design, then to me it would make perfect sense to go into web development and/or web design. With her prior training, she should already have a good eye as well as some design skills.

All she needs to do (at least to start) is learn basic to intermittent HTML/CSS/Javascript/JQuery to get her started.

Perhaps she could even go back to college to get a Master's in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment