Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

147 posts, read 215,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But if you have a company doctor, then you have no medical privacy, since everybody knows that you are seeing the doctor.
You do not have to see that doctor but it is way more convenient to go to the doc on campus than try and get to my regular doctor. I do not have a problem with my coworkers knowing I am going to the doctors. No one ever asks why. We have a completely different health office for all work related issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,570,822 times
At my job, every time you do a good job you get more work.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,106,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Hey! That happens on my job, too!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,258,170 times
I once interviewed at a company that gave every employee his or her birthday off. If it was Saturday or Sunday or already a holiday, you got to choose an alternate day.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,430,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That might be great if you are single. But I'd rather have dinner with my wife that with my coworkers.

I'm happy that the company has a casual dress code, and I don't have to worry about dry cleaning.
I actually have dinner at home most days as well but I like that it's there in case I do decide to stay later. The works hours are also relatively flexible so those who stay for dinner tend to come in a little later (e.g. 10am-6:30pm so they skip breakfast at work but have lunch + dinner at work and go home vs. 9am-5:30 which go home for dinner but have breakfast + lunch at work). I tend to come in at around 8:30-9am.

We also have a casual dress code so shorts and t-shirts with sneakers are good.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 PM

6,972 posts, read 7,029,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh, I'm very aware of that ... I was in the "real world" for many years before going into academia. My corporate employer had a 6/3 401(k) plan -- I put in 6%, they matched 3%. That seemed to be pretty typical back them (late '80s, early '90s). I was astonished by the matches I saw in academia.

I think the idea is that academic salaries CAN lag far beyond "real-world" salaries, so good benefits (and things like sabbaticals) are supposed to make up for the allegedly lower salaries. Given that my own background is about as working-class as you can get, I don't see academic salaries (in higher ed.) as being particularly low -- especially given the "time off" (which isn't really "time off," but you work COMPLETELY on your own schedule for many months out of the year so it definitely doesn't feel like a typical corporate job) and the benefits (like the retirement plan). Most of my colleagues, though, are from at least middle-class backgrounds (usually upper-middle-class or better) and to them, academic salaries are low -- but they put up with them for the great benefits.
But my point is that the plum government jobs are almost impossible to get, no matter how qualified you are, unless you just happen to be in the right place at the right time. They are basically the equivalent of winning the lottery. People on this board often tell people to get a government job, but that's not an option for most of us. I am basically trapped in a corporate world where I don't fit in at all. What I want is job security, the ability to eventually retire, and work-life balance. The private sector offers none of those.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM

13,002 posts, read 18,880,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
A benefit that should be touted. Often after you finish the job you get laid off.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,570,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A benefit that should be touted. Often after you finish the job you get laid off.
Not here. They just give me the work that the fvck ups trashed or avoided.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,314,022 times
Some years ago, I worked dispatching emergency road service; since my personal "wheels" were in pretty poor shape at the time, being able to get a ride into the office with a company tow truck came in handy on a few occasions.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 AM

10,045 posts, read 18,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Would you say it is more for tenure or tenure track? I was under the impression that 25% do not make tenure. I had a debate years ago with someone that illustrated that there were some institutions that pretty much handed tenure without being that competitive. Of course the institution could be utter crap.
Where I've worked, tenure-track faculty have the same benefits as tenured faculty, but their pay is much lower. Beginning salaries in academia aren't great (given the credentials required), but for me, having grown up working-class, job security is MUCH more important to me than just about anything else. It is amazing to know that unless I seriously screw up on the job (which is under my control of course!), I cannot lose my job.

The number of academics who become tenured varies tremendously from institution to institution. At many institutions, you don't even make it to the tenure REVIEW if it becomes clear beforehand that you likely will not get tenure -- you are fired (or sometimes choose to leave) before that point. When I was in grad school at Michigan, there were a few tenure-track professors who came for only a couple of years, then left. At that kind of institution, the pressure is incredibly intense in your first several years -- but once you get tenure, IF you do, then you can breathe a little.

[Not sure I answered your question, as I'm not sure what "it" refers to in the question "Would you say it is more for tenure or tenure track?" It's relatively unusual to get a TENURED job in academia -- which is why you try (if you can) to make sure your first job is somewhere you'd want to stay (not much movement in academia -- far, far less than in the corporate world). The academic job market is so competitive, though, that often you have no choice -- you go wherever you get an offer. Honestly, I would hate to be on the academic job market these days -- with the increasing use of poorly-paid, non-benefited adjuncts, there are fewer and fewer tenure-track openings.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment