Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I read all the replies. I'm not deaf and I still prefer what I'm asking for.

Instead of telling the boss what I said I'd tell him, I'm just going to to lie to him. I'm going to tell him that I'll continue working here because I like the new challenges, but I will not be staying in the printing field. I'll tell him that I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks and have other plans in mind for my future.

I want to tell him this in the upcoming week to see how it changes how he works with me, but I don't want to just blurt it out of nowhere. When do you think I should tell him?
Why don't you do your boss and yourself a favor and just quit. Both of you will be happier then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Some people just need to learn the hard way.

Sometimes if they need to go across the street they'll find a way to go allllll the way around the block, down to the next city, up I95 and back down on the Turnpike to get there.

Then they'll blame the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7

Instead of telling the boss what I said I'd tell him, I'm just going to to lie to him. I'm going to tell him that I'll continue working here because I like the new challenges, but I will not be staying in the printing field. I'll tell him that I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks and have other plans in mind for my future.

I want to tell him this in the upcoming week to see how it changes how he works with me, but I don't want to just blurt it out of nowhere. When do you think I should tell him?
LOL you went a bit too far with the bold.

Now you're just playin.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM

133 posts, read 175,399 times
Default Be for Real!!!

Quote:

This is the FUNNIEST (and saddest) thing I've read in a long time. Especially after all the GOOD advice you have been given.

Ok, kid, (oops - sorry), I mean Life7, here is some more advice for you:

1. You fail to realize what you have going for you. Your boss is HELPING you. He sees POTENTIAL in you. He has selected YOU to be the one employee to receive his extra ATTENTION. Consider this a BONUS!!!!! The other employees should be so lucky.

2. Why in the world would you tell your boss "I will not be staying in the printing field"? What do you hope to gain? I'll tell you what his response will be: "Oh, thanks for telling me so that I won't be wasting any more of my time with you. By the way, here is the door."

3. Why do you have to tell him ANYTHING? Go to work on time, learn all you can and keep your mouth SHUT.

4. Check out some of the other threads on here where young people just out of school are trying to get just a FOOT in the door of their selected industry.

5. Tell your daddy what you are thinking about telling your boss. See what he says. I bet it will be along the lines of "What the F!!!" Better yet, tell some of your underemployed friends.

6. What you fail to realize now is that this may well be a defining time in your career. Each job on your resume should show progression. You will be able to go to your next interview with true work experience from what your boss is trying to TEACH you. You should be PAYING HIM.

(P.S. I look back to my early 20s when I didn't have a clue. Totally embarrassed now about the stupid things I did and thought. )

Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM

624 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
When do you think I should tell him?
You can tell him there is a woman in Ohio who would love to fill your position. I will relocate on my own dime.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
"It's 4am where I am now and I'm so ticked about this issue all night I couldn't sleep."

Most people would just see this situation as one of life's learning experiences and not loose sleep over it. Sounds like you are more than just irked with this boss, sounds like you are frustrated with yourself. You might want to explore why you are so sensitive and find some coping skills. Go ahead and have an honest talk with the guy. Whatever the outcome, you will learn from it.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Would the OP be so kind as to tell us where he now sees himself in five years, careerwise?

Perhaps with this information we could understand where he's coming from that we're all missing.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM

210 posts, read 393,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Would the OP be so kind as to tell us where he now sees himself in five years, careerwise?

Perhaps with this information we could understand where he's coming from that we're all missing.
Don't know if it would help, but alright.

I see myself working in a job I enjoy, that's all that matters to me.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 PM

298 posts, read 704,413 times
So sad-such a young, naive foolish person.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 PM

282 posts, read 444,362 times
This has to be a troll. No one who can manage to make it out the door in the morning is this dense.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
So nobody finds there's anything wrong with him? Interviewer smoking a cigarette at an interview is completely normal?? I can't let him know anything he does that is bothering me? And no, he's not the owner.
If he is a smoker, he does not smoke inside, and goes outside to do it in an interview. You don't realize it, but when he did that he had already decided to hire you, and was just talking with you to get to know you better, and the formality of the situation was already past.

Quote:
He even thinks he can make career choices for me. He says crap like "In 5 years, if you're not better than me at running the printing machine, then it's probably time for a career change". I'm going to be the judge of whether I'm successful in the field, not him. I don't care how much experience he has. He's not going to say something like that like it's a fact. There's no way I was even planning on staying with the company for 5 years. I was/am planning on working there for 1-2 years max.
You have a boss, that the way he talks to you likes you. He is indicating that you he thinks you are doing a good job, and would like to see you stay on the job. When so many people are worried about finding a job, or not being laid off soon, you have a boss telling you you don't have to worry about such things. It is the boss, that will judge if you are successful in the field. That is the way it always has been, and always will be. He feels by the way you are succeeding, you can have a future in the business. You have said, he gives you more help than the other employees. Again he would not do that if he did not think you could have a good future in the company, and in the printing field. Kind of seems he may be priming you for a promotion, and possibly as his replacement. He has taken you under his wing. Haven't you read posts all over City Data, of employees crying because their bosses scream at them, and belittle them. A lot of people, just wish their boss would give them an Attaboy once in the while, instead of screaming insults at them.

You are extremely young in your attitude, and want to be told how mature you are, instead of the boss talking to you at the age you act to be. Calling you Kid sounds like a compliment, not an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment