Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 AM

210 posts, read 393,669 times

Advertisements

I've been working part time in a print shop since May. My boss there is very difficult and very unprofessional. I probably should have seen it coming when I had the job interview there. At the end of our interview, he led me outside where we could finish the interview....and he smokes a cigarette at the same time!! If I wasn't that desperate for a new job, I probably would have refused the job after seeing that.

Now that I'm starting to get the hang of the work and up to speed, he's starting to be very difficult/hard on me. He says it's because he wants me to succeed in the printing industry, so he'll be harder on me than the other employees. Yes, I did study printing in school to work in the printing industry. He says he wants me to succeed in the field. I want to let him know that I want to be treated like everyone else and my career and performance outside this current company is not his concern. He's starting to become very annoying and I'm getting frustrated and losing sleep. It's 4am where I am now and I'm so ticked about this issue all night I couldn't sleep.

Also, one more thing I'm fed up of is him considering me a kid. He knows I'm 22 years old and says "Attaboy!" whenever I do something right, and calls me a "good kid". I'm seriously fed up of his behaviour.

The shop is getting busier and he wants me to come work full-time. I don't know if I can handle him full-time, so I would like to have a firm and calm chat with him about the way he's treating me.

How do you guys think I should talk to him? Do you guys think I should quit before he seriously affects my mental health? I landed this job after 2 years of hunting for a printing job, so I don't know if I should continue the job search in the field or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
I'm sorry, but this just seems like a petty reason to be upset. If you have something of concern call it out and bring it to his attention. You're 22 and new to the professional world, it's not incorrect of him to say attaboy and good kid.

It could be way worse, good luck.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 AM

659 posts, read 940,161 times
Life7, you're going to have to get used to adults belittling you.

I'm 27 and I still get called sweet heart, darling, or sweetie.... even from those younger than me. It pisses me off to no end, what happened to "Ms." or "Mrs."? Sheesh. I'll even accept Ma'am! Just...anything but Sweet heart....ick!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 AM

624 posts, read 762,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I've been working part time in a print shop since May. My boss there is very difficult and very unprofessional. I probably should have seen it coming when I had the job interview there. At the end of our interview, he led me outside where we could finish the interview....and he smokes a cigarette at the same time!! If I wasn't that desperate for a new job, I probably would have refused the job after seeing that.

Now that I'm starting to get the hang of the work and up to speed, he's starting to be very difficult/hard on me. He says it's because he wants me to succeed in the printing industry, so he'll be harder on me than the other employees. Yes, I did study printing in school to work in the printing industry. He says he wants me to succeed in the field. I want to let him know that I want to be treated like everyone else and my career and performance outside this current company is not his concern. He's starting to become very annoying and I'm getting frustrated and losing sleep. It's 4am where I am now and I'm so ticked about this issue all night I couldn't sleep.

Also, one more thing I'm fed up of is him considering me a kid. He knows I'm 22 years old and says "Attaboy!" whenever I do something right, and calls me a "good kid". I'm seriously fed up of his behaviour.

The shop is getting busier and he wants me to come work full-time. I don't know if I can handle him full-time, so I would like to have a firm and calm chat with him about the way he's treating me.

How do you guys think I should talk to him? Do you guys think I should quit before he seriously affects my mental health? I landed this job after 2 years of hunting for a printing job, so I don't know if I should continue the job search in the field or not.
He sounds like an old school boss. Is he the owner? If so, he can do pretty much whatever he wants, esp if it's a small shop, as places with under 50 employees don't have to follow the same rules as large corporations, as far as so called "fairness in the workplace" goes.

If he's giving you "Atta boys" and calling you "Kid" that means he LIKES you. Get over yourself already. This guy probably has a lot to teach you, if you'd let him. I worked for guys like that my whole career, and I also did a short stint in a relaxed but still corporate environment. Believe me, I'll take the old school bosses who called me 'Kid' over the corporate snakes any day of the week. :/

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
His behavior is probably pretty typical of the printing industry. You could quit, but your next boss will probably be pretty similar.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 AM

210 posts, read 393,669 times
So nobody finds there's anything wrong with him? Interviewer smoking a cigarette at an interview is completely normal?? I can't let him know anything he does that is bothering me? And no, he's not the owner.

He even thinks he can make career choices for me. He says crap like "In 5 years, if you're not better than me at running the printing machine, then it's probably time for a career change". I'm going to be the judge of whether I'm successful in the field, not him. I don't care how much experience he has. He's not going to say something like that like it's a fact. There's no way I was even planning on staying with the company for 5 years. I was/am planning on working there for 1-2 years max.

Last edited by Life7; 08-30-2014 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
So nobody finds there's anything wrong with him? Interviewer smoking a cigarette at an interview is completely normal?? I can't let him know anything he does that is bothering me? And no, he's not the owner.
Like another poster said, Life, he seems old school. I've never worked in the printing industry, but doesn't it have a blue collar feel? I know printers are master craftsmen, and it's skilled labor, but it is labor. I would expect it to be a little rougher than an office environment. I am in the military (in an office job), and we swear waaaay more than would be acceptable in most other offices. Civilians who work with us for the first time are sometimes put off and shocked by the language, but that's just how it is in the military. If you don't like it, cool ... but if you want to keep working for the military, don't expect your next job to be much different than this one. Swearing and the military go hand in hand.

Your boss calling you kid and saying "attaboy" is probably pretty typical in the printing industry.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
You're upset because your boss calls you a good kid and encourages you? Really? Do you realize how ridiculous and immature that sounds?

He likes you. He wants to teach you the business. He means well. Focus on that.

Don't lose a good job because of a petty thing like your boss saying, "Atta boy!" He's just trying to be encouraging.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
He even thinks he can make career choices for me. He says crap like "In 5 years, if you're not better than me at running the printing machine, then it's probably time for a career change". I'm going to be the judge of whether I'm successful in the field, not him. I don't care how much experience he has. He's not going to say something like that like it's a fact. There's no way I was even planning on staying with the company for 5 years. I was/am planning on working there for 1-2 years max.
You are a spoiled brat.

People like you don't realize you have a good thing until you lose it.

You would do well to remember how patient you boss has been with you, as you yourself have said that you've had a hard time learning the job. Now he's encouraging you because you've been improving, but you have a problem with that. Unbelievable!

What are possible solutions to this problem?

Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 AM

532 posts, read 958,571 times
Quote:

going outside to smoke a cigarette after an interview may not be "normal", but I've seen and had worse.

You can talk to him about anything you want, but you did ask for advice and I agree this is just not that bad.

Just because he makes comments about your future in 5 years, so what? He isn't in control of your life, he is giving you his opinion, this doesn't mean you have to follow his advice.

Stay for as long as you want, learn as much as you can, and then move on. But, really, compared to a lot of bosses out there, you have it good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment