Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM

41 posts, read 112,921 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I started a new job. The pay is better than any job I've had before, and everyone is so nice. No one bothers or hounds me, they just let me work at my pace. I’m also starting evening classes in a few days (Studying Computer Science).

The problem is that I've been having the worse reflux-type symptoms imaginable. Pain has been an issue at times, but really, the WORSE issue has been the bad nausea, and strong sensation that I have to throw up - I actually don't like the word nausea for this, to be honest, because I associate that with vertigo, being dizzy, etc. This isn't that - It's just a sensation in the stomach that gives me a strong urge to throw-up. This is ESPECIALLY bad anytime I have to sit down, or drive a car - I don't have these symptoms when I sit/drive, but they're just made much worse if I have them going on already.

Just trying to figure out what to do. I started Nexium a few days ago on Thursday evening. Was thirsty as I got up in the morning, so I took a drink of water, and felt nauseous – Feeling a bit better after taking the Nexium.

Anyway, it will take some time before my work benefits start to kick in, and in the meantime, I still have previous health insurance, but virtually no time to see a doctor between work and now that school will be starting. Also, I've already missed the 2nd half of my second day on the job last week, because of these issues. I kind of feel like if I start to miss a lot of time going to doctors (especially so early on), they're going to have cold feet, and bail on me...So, I'm just trying to figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,242,804 times
Avoid all fried foods, acidic foods, and spicy foods. Cinnamon, say in applesauce, will help calm the stomach. They say ginger does too. Get enough sleep and stop drinking coffee and alcohol.

One possibility is Crohns disease that can affect anywhere in your digestive tract. Obviously you need to get yourself checked out as soon as you can.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:07 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,799,650 times
I have GERD. I don't know why though. I never used to get symptoms until last year and nothing really changed then in a negative way. A lot of it does have to do with diet I guess but there should always be a cause. I can't just sit there and change my diet completely without knowing why I have to do this.
If I were you I'd go to the doctor anyway and make sure you get one that helps you find out the cause. Medicine doesn't do anything but mask the pain. It's like a bandaid with no neosporin on a cut.
Try and find a holistic one if you're not having luck with a GP (that's what I plan to do for me if I ever get enough coverage to get a better doctor)
Don't worry about your job. I of all people know that having a job is important but health is of the utmost importance. If you don't have your health what have you got? I don't see why they'd fire you for going to the doctor. Just get a note if you're that worried.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,988,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo255 View Post
Hi all,

I started a new job. The pay is better than any job I've had before, and everyone is so nice. No one bothers or hounds me, they just let me work at my pace. I’m also starting evening classes in a few days (Studying Computer Science).

The problem is that I've been having the worse reflux-type symptoms imaginable. Pain has been an issue at times, but really, the WORSE issue has been the bad nausea, and strong sensation that I have to throw up - I actually don't like the word nausea for this, to be honest, because I associate that with vertigo, being dizzy, etc. This isn't that - It's just a sensation in the stomach that gives me a strong urge to throw-up. This is ESPECIALLY bad anytime I have to sit down, or drive a car - I don't have these symptoms when I sit/drive, but they're just made much worse if I have them going on already.

Just trying to figure out what to do. I started Nexium a few days ago on Thursday evening. Was thirsty as I got up in the morning, so I took a drink of water, and felt nauseous – Feeling a bit better after taking the Nexium.

Anyway, it will take some time before my work benefits start to kick in, and in the meantime, I still have previous health insurance, but virtually no time to see a doctor between work and now that school will be starting. Also, I've already missed the 2nd half of my second day on the job last week, because of these issues. I kind of feel like if I start to miss a lot of time going to doctors (especially so early on), they're going to have cold feet, and bail on me...So, I'm just trying to figure this out.
Well, you could at least drop the evening class. It sounds like it will be too much right now.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,563,663 times
As one poster suggested try ginger, you can get it in pill form. Avoid citrus, coffee, tomatoes, and chocolate.

Hopefully that will help, try eating bananas as well.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,342,092 times
Try going to one of those Urgent Care type clinics. They are open extended hours so you can work around your job. Do call ahead to see if they have actual doctors, not just nurse practitioners.

They can't treat chronic conditions long term, but they may be able to prescribe something to help you get through the next month or so. Many drugs for acid reflux that used to be prescription only are now over-the-counter, but they may have something else to prescribe.

One of the biggest challenges people with health problems face is what you are experiencing---time off work to seek medical care. If only doctors would have at least some evening, weekend hours, not make a person choose between their health and their employment

Here's another thought---many of the over-the-counter drugs for acid reflux are simply a weaker version of the prescription counterpart. Look up the drug, and find the maximum prescribed dosage, then its a no-brainer to simply take more.

Take care

Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,049,817 times
I believe Nexium can take several days to kick in. I've had bad reflux myself in the past and I found it helpful. I'd definitely stick with the Nexium for at least a full two weeks to see if it helps. In the meantime, I'd listen to Sgoldie and others above, and be very careful with your diet, and ensuring that you're getting enough sleep. Don't eat heavy/large meals, don't eat late at night, don't eat greasy or acidic foods.

Good luck feeling better, and with the new job.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,713,661 times
Try the old faithful, Maalox. It will relieve your stomach coating it and counteracting the acid which is usually the problem.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,962,038 times
I've had recurrent severe GERD and a hiatal hernia going on 20+ years. With me, it has little to do with specific foods, although it does have to do with food in general -- eating too fast, laying down after eating (I found myself eating late often), wearing too tight pants (I gained weight). I have to continually remind myself to avoid those behaviors. Additionally, high stress and lack of sleep add to the issue.

I've used Nexium and it worked for awhile. Then it didn't. I've either become more immune to the effects or they've become less severe over time. When I do have painful attacks, I tend to rely on OTC liquids of which I find Gaviscon is the best for immediate relief. Also probiotics help - yogurt shakes, etc.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,454,753 times
Just ask yourself this question, and the answer will show you the way:

"Would my condition be better or worse, without this new job?"

Then, act accordingly. The classes will just stress you out even more right now, IMO. Also, people have become adverse to paying for a simple doctor's visit from their own funds. It's not that much, compared to the loss of income if you lose this job. Scale back for awhile, eat small portions more than 3x per day, and rest a lot. Ask yourself what's important. I'd say keeping this new job is at the top of the list,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment