Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The best of the best at my company get 4-5%. You made a crazy request.
But you should not compare to your company only, it is not the only referential.
In this case, my company can provide +30% on package and +20 to 25% on the base salary.

OP, we live in a difficult world where asking salary raises is tough.
However, now that the request has been made, see how they respond.
Just try to be among the best in your field and pay attention to the internal networking.

I think what people are trying to do is to set your expectations low enough so that you are not disappointed in any case. That's fine, but there are other positive examples.

Keep in mind that the % is irrelevant.
20K is 33% for you but it's only 10% for a 200K salary, and so on.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
But you should not compare to your company only, it is not the only referential.
In this case, my company can provide +30% on package and +20 to 25% on the base salary.

OP, we live in a difficult world where asking salary raises is tough.
However, now that the request has been made, see how they respond.
Just try to be among the best in your field and pay attention to the internal networking.

I think what people are trying to do is to set your expectations low enough so that you are not disappointed in any case. That's fine, but there are other positive examples.

Keep in mind that the % is irrelevant.
20K is 33% for you but it's only 10% for a 200K salary, and so on.

Good luck!

Mine, too! At the VP level. I don't think the op is talking about VP level, and it's possible your company can do that at all levels, but that isn't the norm.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
OP, what is your title and what industry are you in?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 PM

39 posts, read 165,698 times
I feel so bad guys...
are you sure it's a bad idea now to write a follow up email?
I would like to tell my manager that:

1) I know 20k as increase it a bit out of the standards
2) that I asked that considering what I didn't do puch back when they offered me 60k last year
3) that the market is offering 80k

Old 08-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
OP, what is your title and what industry are you in?
Product manager
Email marketing industry
city San Francisco: you know here the salary are high

Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Honestly, unless you are the best employee ever, you should start looking for a new job. Asking for a 33% raise is too much. That is more than most people get with a promotion. It also sounds like you perhaps needed a visa, which makes your negotiations much harder.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hally79 View Post
I feel so bad guys...
are you sure it's a bad idea now to write a follow up email?
I would like to tell my manager that:

1) I know 20k as increase it a bit out of the standards
2) that I asked that considering what I didn't do puch back when they offered me 60k last year
3) that the market is offering 80k
Don't do that. That makes you look like a weasel. Stand by your raise and just accept it if they won't give you the raise. Emailing will make you look bad. Don't let the company think you are a pushover.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM

I know I asked too much, the point now is what to do next?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
No, do not follow up. You made an offer, the first one to speak will lose the negotiation. Do not be surprised or offended when they laugh at your request. This is just a tactic to make you lose your cool and be satisfied with less.

The best thing to do is put out feelers right away, contact recruiters and see if you can get a couple of interviews for other jobs. This way you will feel like you have choices and some power.

The worst thing that can happen is that they say no, which they certainly will. You have to justify why you are worth the extra 20k or in reality the extra 8-10k at most that you may get. Tell them what you plan to do not only what you have done, because of they pay you such an increase it will be for future work you perform rather than past work.

Question is, do you feel that your work justifies the extra money?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hally79 View Post
I know I asked too much, the point now is what to do next?
If they make you a counter offer which will be much lower, do not accept it. Say that you really appreciate it but you still think that you can work something out that is higher.

If you accept their first counteroffer they will feel like they could have gotten away with less and at you were just bluffing. Not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment