Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Salaried, as I love the flexibility (work from home, flexible hours) that an hourly employee usually does not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Ok for those of you have been hourly or salary, What do you prefer?
I prefer salaried because I get benefits. As long as I'm not being asked to work ridiculous hours, salaried is the way to go. The cost of health insurance on the open market is so high that the extra money I make by working hourly doesn't cover the difference. I come out with less after paying for insurance myself.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:10 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
salaried employee
[sal-uh-reed em-ploi-ee]

adjective/noun
1. overtime expected but not paid for

Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM

172 posts, read 180,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
salaried employee
[sal-uh-reed em-ploi-ee]

adjective/noun
1. overtime expected but not paid for if they are correctly classified as exempt.
Fixed that for you.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
Being hourly at McDonald's as a crew member is much different from being hourly as a nurse (with OT, benefits, holiday pay, differential, etc).

I have never had a salary position, but I am going to school to be a nurse. I MUCH rather be hourly (with sick leave and vacation time and benefits, obviously). I want to get paid for EVERY minute of work that I do as well as have the opportunity to make more money working OT rather than having to get a second job. I like that I don't have to come into work five days a week whereas many hourly jobs you can work three or four days/week and still be considered full-time. Companies often take advantage of their salary workers as they know they don't have to pay them more for more work (not so if you are an hourly worker!), and many salary positions require workers to take some work home (not so if you are hourly...usually).

A lot of people make the mistake in assuming that if you are an hourly worker, if you call off, you don't get paid. Not true. As long as you have the PTO/sick time (which accrues quickly...I have almost 200 hours), you get paid your base rate.

Sweet.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I prefer salaried because I get benefits. As long as I'm not being asked to work ridiculous hours, salaried is the way to go. The cost of health insurance on the open market is so high that the extra money I make by working hourly doesn't cover the difference. I come out with less after paying for insurance myself.
Uh...hourly workers can and oftentimes do get benefits as well!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Though I work for "free" on some occasions when working over 40 hrs and not getting paid, I like knowing I will get a set amount in my check every week, regardless if we are slow or not. If we have no work, the hourly guys get sent home so they don't hit the overhead.

I miss being in engineering consulting. We were in a weird exempt category that we got straight time over 40.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Salaried, most likely.
I don't like the games that employees play with their hourly employees.

"37 hours... ooooh not a full-time employee? Sorry, no health benefits for you!"

Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I am salaried. The expectation at our company is 45 hour/weeks. I am in a position where I only work 40. Many technical employees work 50+ hour weeks, and my immediate manager has been working 60/hour weeks for six straight months. I certainly wouldn't work 60 hour weeks routinely. Salaried is often code for very long hours.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I'm currently in an hourly position but spent my whole career as a salaried employee (other than when I was a temp). I much prefer salaried but mainly because there are many times I forgot to clock in or out, or forget to clock out for lunch entirely. I'm HORRIBLE at using that stupid clock. *lol* However, my boss is aware of this issue and is okay with me doing at least 1-2 timecard corrections each week.

I keep telling her that if she'd switch me to exempt it would save us a lot of hassle, but she doesn't have the power to make that kind of change since we work for a very large organization. The only way it could happen is if she changes my actual title and position to something in the exempt category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment