Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:40 PM

22 posts, read 120,922 times

Advertisements

I keep my cubicle clean and "simple". Only 2 pieces of papers pinned on the wall. One is my on-call shift schedule. Another is a list of contacts like DBA, Sever/Network support guy, developers, and boss. My desk only consists of laptops, phone, pens, and a trey of papers (mostly architecture diagrams, SRS docs, other IT papers...)

I am working in a huge corporate where I have the feeling that my role could easily be replaced by some other person or better yet a computer program. So, I keep my cubicle almost empty so i can leave at anytime and have less attachment to the office.

How's your cubicle looks like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,879 times
It's pretty messy...with papers all over the desk and water bottles everywhere and semi important training material pinned on the wall.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcyue View Post
I keep my cubicle clean and "simple". Only 2 pieces of papers pinned on the wall. One is my on-call shift schedule. Another is a list of contacts like DBA, Sever/Network support guy, developers, and boss. My desk only consists of laptops, phone, pens, and a trey of papers (mostly architecture diagrams, SRS docs, other IT papers...)

I am working in a huge corporate where I have the feeling that my role could easily be replaced by some other person or better yet a computer program. So, I keep my cubicle almost empty so i can leave at anytime and have less attachment to the office.

How's your cubicle looks like?
I have an office with a door but I am only there about 30 minutes a day. My work is out in the field.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,396,801 times
I keep my cubicle simple, leaving out all family portraits. I have a list of real estate contacts and everyday job duties. I'm new to my area and don't want to invest in personal information until I have my job for at least one year. I find it easier without all the trimmings. If I have to leave, there's nothing I need to retrieve. No shoes, pictures or knickknacks.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,218 times
yes, i have the similar condition with you. I only keep necessary materials on my desk and ready for leave anytime. last month one of my collegle was fired without notice and she can not take anything away, even personal thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthyself View Post
yes, i have the similar condition with you. I only keep necessary materials on my desk and ready for leave anytime. last month one of my collegle was fired without notice and she can not take anything away, even personal thing.
They cannot keep your personal items. They must either box and return them to you or allow you to come in and get them yourself.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I keep my cubicle simple, leaving out all family portraits.
Same here. Some people decorate as if they live there. I work to live, not the other (American) way around!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Same here. Some people decorate as if they live there. I work to live, not the other (American) way around!
I agree. Family pictures have no place in an office. People do not come to your office to see your family photos. They want to see your accomplishments. If you want to hang things around, hang your degrees and training certifications. That is what I do.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Since my boss loves to play head games with people, I ensure I have tons of paperwork on my desk at all times. If I try to keep my desk neat and clutter free, I am told..."Well, you obviously have nothing to do!" and the boss will then proceed to dumb work on me that my coworkers claim they don't have time to do (yet, they are spending the majority of their day socializing). Stupid way to have to work, but so be it.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
My office has an aquarium, Television, refrigerator, stereo, pictures, plaques, art work -

Oh yeah - I run the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment