Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times

Advertisements

What field are you in? In some fields like mine (accounting) we are buried under work, that's just the nature of the job. The more inefficient your company's system, the longer the hours you work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I think it is very common in several professions! It does put that added pressure on to stay. Hated it.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I loathe this culture of "showing face extra hours" to look good.....
like, I have a life too and when 5 o'clock hits. Bye work.... I just gave u 9 hours of my time, now it's my turn for me..... You've had the majority of my waking day..... I need to go now. Peace out, work.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
like, I have a life too and when 5 o'clock hits. Bye work.... I just gave u 9 hours of my time, now it's my turn for me..... You've had the majority of my waking day..... I need to go now. Peace out, work.
My old boss was this way, she would shut her door and play on facebook for hours on end. Then start doing her actual work around 4, and stay till 7. It used to drive me insane because she waited to do her work until the end of the day, so when she had questions I had to stay late. Our IT guy knew she was goofing off all day because they tracked internet usage.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Since you recently started there, its possible they are working towards a project deadline & will fall back to their routine after that. Maybe they are charging flex time or overtime to cash-in or use it as vacation. I dont think its normal to work those kind of hours long term. I have seen people glued to their desks all the time but I have also seen them going on long vacations to make up for it. Successful people try to maintain a healthy balance between their health, personal & professional lives. The kinds you mentioned get burnt out pretty quickly. Check with a coworker or your manager to see if same hours are expected from you & if there is any compensation for it. I have worked those kind of hours in my first job to learn new skills but if I was working towards a project deadline, I always got flex time.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I agree. Work takes up way too much of my life as it is. There's no way I would put up with the hours required at a startup; no amount of money is worth it to me, frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
My old boss was this way, she would shut her door and play on facebook for hours on end. Then start doing her actual work around 4, and stay till 7. It used to drive me insane because she waited to do her work until the end of the day, so when she had questions I had to stay late. Our IT guy knew she was goofing off all day because they tracked internet usage.
IMO, that is a sign of someone who has no life and nothing to go home to. When I started my current job my boss clearly said more than once that he didn't care how many hours we worked as long as our work got done. I know he didn't 100% mean it (because he's the type with no life), so I stick around until 4:00. If I thought he really did mean that I would be here at 10:00 and out by 2:00.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 10,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Since you recently started there, its possible they are working towards a project deadline & will fall back to their routine after that. Maybe they are charging flex time or overtime to cash-in or use it as vacation. I dont think its normal to work those kind of hours long term. I have seen people glued to their desks all the time but I have also seen them going on long vacations to make up for it. Successful people try to maintain a healthy balance between their health, personal & professional lives. The kinds you mentioned get burnt out pretty quickly. Check with a coworker or your manager to see if same hours are expected from you & if there is any compensation for it. I have worked those kind of hours in my first job to learn new skills but if I was working towards a project deadline, I always got flex time.
There are no project deadlines currently, in fact I was told a major project was coming up in about a month which not only implies that 9-7+ is normal but that 9-7+ wouldn't be enough when the major project hits...

Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungYeezy View Post
Recently began a job at a startup and my coworkers in my department do crazy hours. I get in at 9 and half of them are already there. I leave at 7 and almost of of them are still working. They also eat lunch at their desks. So basically 10 hours nonstop with just bathroom breaks. Is this normal now? I've interned at a 20 year old company before and 9-5 was the norm and I felt like the work life balance was on point.

Yes, at a start up 10-12 hrs or more is normal. I've seen some (I worked in the incubator and accelerator field) and that 14-16 hrs were normal, and people had bed rolls near their desks. This is one of many reasons start ups are for younger people, culture wise.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, at a start up 10-12 hrs or more is normal. I've seen some (I worked in the incubator and accelerator field) and that 14-16 hrs were normal, and people had bed rolls near their desks. This is one of many reasons start ups are for younger people, culture wise.
Just about everyone i know working in startups finds a similar pattern. You need to work harder to find one with good work life balance. It usually helps when most employees are older. They'll want to go home.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
They might want to go home, but they're just trying to keep developing the IP to get to a next successful round of funding. Progress needs to be shown to the investors. VC types don't care about work/life balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment