Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I understand the issue with the long hours. I really think the workplace culture like this should be disclosed at the interview. So you can decide ahead of time instead of it being forced on you later. I realize I'm probably being simplistic. Further, overtime should be paid then if that's how they're going to "run the ship." Paid OT is a rare thing in America I think. Just my thoughts.
I agree about the culture; but sometimes it just sneaks up on you. A new contract. An industry event. A disaster. And it IS OPTIONAL, after all. You just won't "shine" potentially.

The OT isn't applicable to salaried/exempt employees, true. For hourly paid there are labor laws strongly in place. Yes, some places pull monkey business and some hourly employees work for free, too, then when the company gets "caught" they claim they didn't "KNOW" they shouldn't.

I worked for a grocery chain that worked me off the clock illegally. (clocked me out for a lunch break wtihout allowing the break). After three months of badgering them and their HR I finally gave an ultimatum that I was going to the NLRB and they paid me the back pay. And cut my hours from 40 to 4.

It's a balance and some people REALLY need the job and won't speak up.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well commutes should be exlcuded from the equation as we can decide where we live. I have a short commute, in exchange for that I have a smaller apartment and pay more. It is a trade off.

But 45/50 hrs is hardly an onerous work schedule. 60/65 is a fair amount. I did that, or a bit more, for a few years and it did take a toll. I liked the work though.
Commutes can't be counted as "work hours," but they are essentially wasted hours that you want to minimize. I don't think anyone finds a great joy in commuting, it's often stressful, expensive, and it's minimally productive.

In many cases, commutes aren't easily avoidable. A couple could be working and living in one town, one lose their job and finds something a good ways away, but don't move because the house is underwater. Maybe you just simply can't afford to live close to your job.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I hate commuting. Can't stand the long drive that I have to make every day just to get to work. If I could I would cut that time by 2/3. As it is currently it takes me 15 minutes to get from my house to work. I would kill to have a 5 minute or less commute.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
yeah this is generally normal for tech startups.

even with the way you described it, 9-7 with a 30 min lunch break is still only a 47.5 hour work week. 9-5 with a 1 hour lunch is only a 35 hour work week.

at most tech startups, it's not abnormal to work about 60 hour weeks so we're talking 9-9:30pm with a 30 min lunch break. that's if you're lucky enough to not work weekends. usually we'd work from around 9-7:30pm mon-fri and then put in another 10-4pm on sat and 1-6pm on sun.

i spent about 10 years working at startups...no more.

once i started working at big companies, i always hear "we work a lot of hours here and it's a really tough work environment"...i laugh inside, take the job, and find the hours a piece of cake.

RVD.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
For those who commute 45 minutes to 1.5 hours one way, working from home one day a week is HUGE.

I had one job where someone who drives in from out of state on Monday and stays in a motel until Thursday evening (he works 4/10 schedule), still drives less then the in-state person, but commutes 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Even working from home one day a week, he still exceeds gas usage of the out-of-stater. For the former, the company reimburses for the motel and mileage. IIRC, the later, only partially?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For those who commute 45 minutes to 1.5 hours one way, working from home one day a week is HUGE.

I had one job where someone who drives in from out of state on Monday and stays in a motel until Thursday evening (he works 4/10 schedule), still drives less then the in-state person, but commutes 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Even working from home one day a week, he still exceeds gas usage of the out-of-stater. For the former, the company reimburses for the motel and mileage. IIRC, the later, only partially?
That is cool that it works out so well for the out of stater. We have an ER Doctor that lives in a less costly part of the state. He flies in and works 3 days, sleeping in the Doctors sleep room while he is here. Then he hops in his plane and flies home. My wife works with an RN that lives in Bakersfield, about 1.5 hours away. She stays with her mom while in town, works her 3 days and then heads back home.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Thank heavens for the 'visiting' health care workers. Even physicians can barely afford to live in the silicon valley.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

I commuted 50 miles/1 hour for about two years and the company despised telecommuting, and still only allows long time employees to work from home one day a week.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,378 times
From what I've observed so far it seems like more people are staying late because of the startup culture than because the actually have work. Even the recruiters and admin assistants stay until 7 which makes no sense to me. They shouldn't have nearly that much work...maybe I'm so new that my workload hasn't developed but so far I take short breaks every hour or so and I still get my stuff done and even get a good portion of tomorrow's work done.

For those of you that have worked in startups, was it THAT necessary for you to stay late? Why not be productive, get your **** done, and leave early? I can't believe someone needs 10-11 hours to get one day's work done (unless you're on the startup engineering team, which I can understand)

Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungYeezy View Post
From what I've observed so far it seems like more people are staying late because of the startup culture than because the actually have work. Even the recruiters and admin assistants stay until 7 which makes no sense to me. They shouldn't have nearly that much work...maybe I'm so new that my workload hasn't developed but so far I take short breaks every hour or so and I still get my stuff done and even get a good portion of tomorrow's work done.

For those of you that have worked in startups, was it THAT necessary for you to stay late? Why not be productive, get your **** done, and leave early? I can't believe someone needs 10-11 hours to get one day's work done (unless you're on the startup engineering team, which I can understand)
I choose to work in startups that like to stick to. 9-5 give or take. I stayed at work late today because it was in office happy hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment