Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So you disagree that it is the males role to approach women? I think most evolutionary biologists would disagree with you. Go out to a bar or any event and look around, it is the males that approach the females not the other way around. You find men approaching women creepy???
dude, work isn't a bar...
people "flirt" at bars cuz they have liquid courage in them cuz they know they look and feel stupid otherwise, so having drinks makes it less awkward.

Yes, man are traditionally the ones to approach women, however I think women have a subtle way to "clue us in" if she's interested in your flirtations.

If a woman is at ur job and strictly does her job and is professionally courteous toward everyone, I dont think that woman wants men flirting with her. She's there to do her job.... play nice and go home.

Not have some weirdo trying to get in her pants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
The previous generation has been so litigious that now everything we do has to go through a "Can I be sued for this" filter. It has reached a point where men are nervous approaching women, and women are noticing it. This isn't the first girl Ive heard mention this.
Well, that's one way of looking at it.

You need to understand that the reason "the previous generation has been so litigious" is to retrain people like you who actually believe they are programmed to flirt, making it impossible to just go to work and WORK.

You're just gonna have to get better at reading signals, I guess.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM

199 posts, read 334,070 times
This thread reminds me of the (slightly cleaned-up) rule of thumb "don't crap where you eat." It sounds like most of your coworkers, with the exception of the one you mentioned, are smart enough to realize that most workplace romances are high-risk, low-reward, and have the potential to be awkward as hell if it doesn't work out.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, that's one way of looking at it.

You need to understand that the reason "the previous generation has been so litigious" is to retrain people like you who actually believe they are programmed to flirt, making it impossible to just go to work and WORK.

You're just gonna have to get better at reading signals, I guess.
You are grossly exaggerating my point. Im talking about courtship, not harassment. I don't walk around the office flirting with women. My point is that men are no longer sending out subtle cues for those women that DO think its ok to date coworkers. Don't act like theres no such thing because my company is full of couples that met here at work, got married, are happy etc. I thing one thing you guys are ignoring in my disclaimer is I work for a very LARGE company, Im not talking about an office of 5 people where you have to see said person all day every day if it doesn't work out.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Quote:
The previous generation has been so litigious that now everything we do has to go through a "Can I be sued for this" filter. It has reached a point where men are nervous approaching women, and women are noticing it. This isn't the first girl Ive heard mention this.
I was talking to a retired woman who worked on factory floor for several years. When she started (I think in 1960s) they had no HR dept & women would be harassed non-stop by cat calling & objectified constantly. By previous generation I think you mean women who fought for their rights & people who supported them. Companies also benefit from this filter as it affects productivity of their employees. New relationships are great at first but every couple hits a rough patch & its better to keep these type of conflicts away from work.
That said, if a guy is REALLY into a girl, he would approach her no matter whats the workplace policy.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
You are grossly exaggerating my point.
And you are grossly misunderstanding why you aren't entitled to send out (what you think are) subtle cues to women you're interested in AT WORK.

The fact that there are thousands of people in the company makes no difference. It only takes one person to make a problem for another person, and being able to hide it among thousands of other employees doesn't make it ok.

Do you really not see the problem with your thread?

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I know many couples who met at work. People in my family as well as people I worked with. After school, it is the second most likely place one will find their future spouse.

I think this woman is inventing some kind of false logic for the purpose of her own ego and none of these men would be interested in her in any setting.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
And you are grossly misunderstanding why you aren't entitled to send out (what you think are) subtle cues to women you're interested in AT WORK.

The fact that there are thousands of people in the company makes no difference. It only takes one person to make a problem for another person, and being able to hide it among thousands of other employees doesn't make it ok.

Do you really not see the problem with your thread?
So you completely deny that couples meet at work?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
So you completely deny that couples meet at work?
Of course not. I said that you are not ENTITLED to flirt at work. Do it all you want, but it's not your constitutional right.

You don't see the problems with your post??

She said one thing, and you took it and RAN with your theory about guys being afraid of lawsuits.

Maybe she just isn't attractive to many guys there. Why didn't you send one of your subtle signals to her?? She was sitting right there, complaining about not having a boyfriend ...

Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Of course not. I said that you are not ENTITLED to flirt at work.

You don't see the problems with your post??
I never said that I was and youre proving my point. The point is that men are afraid to send subtle cues at work, cues that let a female know that he would like to date. You admit that people meet at work and date, how do women know a guy is interested if he isn't sending cues. My point is these days it is in the girls court to suggest that she likes a guy. You are proving the kind of attitude that makes guys afraid to approach girls. If a guy really likes a girl that he knows from work, THIS is the kind of attitude he is facing/afraid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment