Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times

Advertisements

I've been in my current position for almost 2 years. I took the job because I was desperate (out of work) and wanted to move to this area to be close to family. My husband and I have wanted to move to Florida since before we moved here, but, as mentioned, it was a desperation move.

Late last year the family moved to Florida (damn them! ) and now husband and I are stuck in an area we don't like and desperately want out of. We really kinda hate it here, we make do, but we are not happy. I have been looking in Florida but nothing has come up yet. I am looking for a very specific position.

A few weeks ago a position was advertised in our office. It's a minor promotion (supervisory level, maybe a few extra $$$). I did not apply for it and the hiring manager was disappointed. I told him that the reason I didn't was because I was looking for a job in Florida and I didn't want him to have to go through this process again.

Well, he didn't get what he was looking for and today asked if he listed it again would I apply.

I told him yes. And I would take the job if offered (and I get some extra $$$).

Would you feel that you have just committed yourself to at least a year in this new position? Or two?

Or would you not take the job and just stay in the current position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
So you're boss knows you want to move to Florida and he still wants to offer you a job? Are you looking at the same company but in Florida? Or just unrelated companies in Florida? I wouldn't want someone who I knew was dying to get out. Keep your job and then find a job in Florida. You don't want to be tied to an area you hate for even longer.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Well, he's not my boss yet, lol. And yes, he still wants me to apply for the position.

If I were to move it would not be for the same company.

I agree about not being tied here longer than necessary. We do have a lease through September 2015 now (had to sign it a couple weeks ago).

With the potential for supervisory experience and a few extra dollars, it will help pad my resume and allow us a little more financial freedom to save for a move.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Yes, apply for it. Yes, it's courteous to plan on staying in the position for a while, but as you have no definite plans to move, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. You could probably use the extra money to relocate, plus extra experience on your resume will help you get a job when you do relocate.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Take the new job & title. It will work in your favor once you move.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:05 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Yes, apply for it. Yes, it's courteous to plan on staying in the position for a while, but as you have no definite plans to move, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. You could probably use the extra money to relocate, plus extra experience on your resume will help you get a job when you do relocate.
That's exactly it. No need to worry about a potential plan that is not confirmed.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:20 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Apply for the position and try hard to get it. Keep looking in FL or wherever you want to go and strike if something pans out.

There is no need for you to stay for a year or any amount of time really - you are not committed. Be kind and respectful and grateful to your employer but don't go overboard by degrading your quality of life to show appreciation. It's a two way street - your employer wants you too. Take the job, do your best while there. Be thankful and gracious when you leave and give them plenty of notice. You can also consider offering to train someone after giving notice or do some teleconsulting after moving.

Best of luck

Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! It is very much appreciated.

I'm doing some "due diligence" research on the position by talking with some others who work with the group I would be supervising. I got some good insights from one guy. I'm out of the office today so I'll do some more research on the company's intranet tomorrow. And check if the position has been posted again. Although it may take a little more time than two days. lol

Hubby is also encouraging me to pursue it so that's a plus too.

It's an exciting opportunity to take a small step without much risk, you know? While there are no guarantees, I think I've got a pretty good shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment