Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Honestly, if I am a private employer, I would consider someone for non-financial positions who has debt or bad credit.

Won't they be more desperate to do the job and work harder???

??? I have terrible credit (no new or original credit activity in past 12 years) and work in a high-volume convenience store with no issues. What do you expect, my bad credit means I'm going to pilfer, shrink, and steal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Nope. If you file for bankruptcy it's an automatic disqualification for our company and a few others that I know of here in the govt contracting sector. We lose our clearance if we go bankrupt while employed with them as well.

Bankruptcy is a lifetime disqualifier?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There is a correlation - however, this doesn't mean bad debit/credit is always the cause of a bad employee. So no - you most likely can't prove conclusively one way or the other. In essence, there are terrible people with great credit. And great people with terrible credit. But at the end of the day, an employer has made the decision that they will sacrifice the latter to avoid the former (as long as the law allows it - whether or not it should is a whole different discussion).

I'm not sure what the last sentence is supposed to mean. But I'm not convinced that employers are sitting around the table saying "okay, how do we make sure we only hire those that don't need the job". On the other hand, most companies don't make hiring decisions on one's needs. And wouldn't that also be discrimination? Joe is better qualified, but I think Sue needs it more - so let's hire her.

I understand the frustration. But isn't the argument sort of hypocritical? Saying that those that pass the credit test are all non-thinking paper pushers that have little care about their jobs?

Shouldn't there be some sort of disclosure so that consumers can know the character of the businesses with which they transact?

I wouldn't knowingly do business with such an operation, so shouldn't that information be available to me?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
OR...
they would be desperate for cash and embezzle (or the like), or sell government secrets, etc.

??? My credit has been in the tank for 12 years (siince a health collapse with abrupt and extended loss of income), and have been handling cash on the job since with no issues. At no time have I been desperate for cash (in hospital, there is neither need nor use for cash). So why would I become desperate for cash or sell government secrets, etc?

Besides, I like to play victim, and I believe that one must play it straight in order to accrue victim cred - anyone who steals, embezzles, sells secrets etc loses any victim cred they might have once had, it is incompatible with and antithetical to victim cred.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Sometimes but not always. The concern is that they have mismanaged their funds so a lot of companies are not going to want someone handling anything with monetary value when there is prior proof of mishandling of personal funds and responsibilities. Scooby will argue it all he or she can, but at the end of the day, whether people like it or not, it is a valid concern from an employer.

I have had terrible credit for the past 12 years and for the past ten years have worked without issue handling cash in a high-volume convenience store.

What might employers make of that?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have had terrible credit for the past 12 years and for the past ten years have worked without issue handling cash in a high-volume convenience store.

What might employers make of that?
Statistical outlier.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Statistical outlier.
Probably, but I don't know that a convenience store would be nearly as likely to do a full blown credit check on a potential employee paying $10/hour as a corporation paying $80,000 or more plus benefits, that can suffer great financial losses from sale of corporate secrets, or even scandal. The convenience store at our local Shell gas station is always hiring and you rarely see the same person there twice, they'd be spending a lot of money if they checked out all of them before hiring.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
So, OP. what did your credit report say? I assume you followed the advice of these good people and downloaded it, did you not?

I was inspired to do it (I get mine about every 3-4 months) by this thread. It took 60 seconds.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:16 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I just received an email from a recruiter that I've been trashed from prescreening for a federal position because of "the amount of bad debt" in my credit report. Student loans are bad debts now??? I never bought a car, never bought a house, never been on vacations, never had a judgment, never filed for bankruptcy, never was evicted, and all of my federal student loans are in good standing.

This is a joke and no wonder the government is so inefficient. They're hiring people based on completely superficial reasons who don't care about the job, and are non-thinking paper pushers, and not hiring skilled people merely because they're in debt for investing in their college education. Wow. I'm not even going to try applying for any government jobs anymore, not even state. This is absurd and unfair. Why are they even advertising that they're not hiring if they aren't hiring anyone who actually needs the job to pay the debts? Why are they even at job fairs in DC, knowing damn well most of the people who show up have less than stellar credit ratings? Why pretend to be hiring people? Oh yeah they're only hiring people who don't need a job anyway.
It's ironic that the people with the most debt are the ones who need the job the most but are less likely to be hired because of it. And yet, if you look at rogue feds, the two reasons they go rogue are greed and personal vendettas.

I had a similar issue to the OP. The difference between the OP and myself is that I dealt directly with the feds, the BI contractor, and I took a seriously crap job to pay on my debt even though the job I took didn't allow me to buy more than ramen. It's not about stellar credit as many previous responders noted. The feds looks at the totality of the circumstances including how you got into debt, previous debts, what you've done to resolve the debt and if you're likely to do it all again.

It sounds to me like the recruiter did a credit check herself and made an executive decision to drop you as a client.

OP: If you have what they want, they will spend the money on your BI to make a final decision themselves and they will contact you directly with the results. In the mean time, keep up on USAjobs.gov

Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
It's ironic that the people with the most debt are the ones who need the job the most but are less likely to be hired because of it. And yet, if you look at rogue feds, the two reasons they go rogue are greed and personal vendettas.

I had a similar issue to the OP. The difference between the OP and myself is that I dealt directly with the feds, the BI contractor, and I took a seriously crap job to pay on my debt even though the job I took didn't allow me to buy more than ramen. It's not about stellar credit as many previous responders noted. The feds looks at the totality of the circumstances including how you got into debt, previous debts, what you've done to resolve the debt and if you're likely to do it all again.

It sounds to me like the recruiter did a credit check herself and made an executive decision to drop you as a client.

OP: If you have what they want, they will spend the money on your BI to make a final decision themselves and they will contact you directly with the results. In the mean time, keep up on USAjobs.gov

If you have bad credit you cannot resolve, what should you do? Resign yourself to working McJobs (which will never afford you the ability to improve your credit)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment