Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:42 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
This is simply not true most of the time. Temp agencies do NOT have many jobs that turn into full time. The vast majority do NOT go permanent, regardless of what they claim. The promised training often never happens (I know from experience). Temp agencies also lie and mislead people in many ways. It is better to seek out a direct hire position on one's own.
From MY experience it is as I said.

Did I say anything about not looking for employment on their own ? It is part of the whole job hunt experience.

MANY employers will NOT direct hire, they go through "temp" agencies, it is much easier to get rid of people that way.

Two of the three permanent full time jobs I had in my life are by way of "temp" agencies, the first when I got out of college lasted twenty years, my current one going on eight, the job in between I found on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
From MY experience it is as I said.

MANY employers will NOT direct hire, they go through "temp" agencies, it is much easier to get rid of people that way.
This is what temp agencies want people to believe. Its only in certain industries, though (clerical, admin, warehouse). And even in those industries, a lot of employers don't want to deal with agencies any more. No employer in America is going to pay a "finders fee" for a file clerk. They simply don't have to. They can place a job ad for a file clerk and get 1,000 resumes within a few days.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:25 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
It was suggested for the Op to go to a "temp" agency, this is a VERY good suggestion, modern "temp" agencies are more an employment agency than temp agency, they have many jobs that turn into full time jobs and many are semi-skilled to skilled positions and some provide training if you qualify(they test), you need to tell them when applying you are looking for full time permanent position, apply at more than one, apply at every one you can find.
I cannot stand temp agencies. Some may be okay, but many exploit their "employees" without reservation, don't pay them well, and sometimes bar them from full time employment. They sure are making a good deal of money off your labor though.

Sometimes workers get hurt on the job and the temp agency and the business they loaned you out to will spend more time pointing the finger at each other than getting that person the care they need.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:28 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's no such thing as "true friends" in life, as people by their nature are fickle. Everyone is merely an acquaintance (some closer than others).

When you're down and out, just see how many of these so-called "true friends" will be around to help you out...
There ARE true friends. Sounds like you just don't have any....

Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There ARE true friends.
If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to believe that, ok.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
You get a job. My 17 year old works at Starbucks making $9.38 an hour. She was raking in some decent money when she was working fulltime this summer.

You live with roomates.

It's actually not that hard. You won't be living in the lap of luxury, but you can survive.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:36 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I cannot stand temp agencies. Some may be okay, but many exploit their "employees" without reservation, don't pay them well, and sometimes bar them from full time employment. They sure are making a good deal of money off your labor though.

Sometimes workers get hurt on the job and the temp agency and the business they loaned you out to will spend more time pointing the finger at each other than getting that person the care they need.
You are absolutely correct. Many employers hire temps believing that they can't be sued if the worker gets injured, (but this is just not true. They can still get sued.) Also, statistically a temp worker is more likely to get injured or die on the job, than a perm worker. That's because companies see temporaries as disposable, even less than human. They don't bother with training them, or giving them safety equipment. They truly don't care if the temp is injured and falsely believe they can never be held responsible if something goes wrong.

And yes, they do bar temps from permanent employment. I've temped at places where everyone was temp, and there even temps training other temps. Nobody was ever hired perm. Nobody.

Temping is often promoted by people who got jobs temping 20 years ago, they just don't understand how things have changed over the years. Yes, 20 years ago it was possible to start a career path through temping, but not anymore. There are too many obstacles and employers don't want perm people who will want benefits.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
Some parents kick their kids out the day they turn 18. Some kids have abusive parents or just want to become independent. Some parents tell their kids they're ungrateful if they move out because their parents pay for them. How can any 18 year move out right away? Even if they've finished high school how are they supposed to get a job that pays enough for an apartment and groceries and utilities before they even have a college degree? And how can they pay for college if their parents don't help?
It's called working a lot! I moved out when I was young and my sister did as well. We both worked 3 jobs and went to college full time. We survived. We didn't rent in the greatest neighborhoods, but not in a crack alley either. Used furniture. Ask for household items for birthday/Christmas. Roommates are always an option as is renting a room.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I've never known any 18 year old who was supporting themselves. They all were away to college (on parent's money) or at home.
Come to NY and meet me and my sister. And none of us kids - there's 3 of us - went away to college nor did our parents pay for it. We went to local schools and commuted. Us girls moved out before we were 20 years old and supported ourselves 100% and went to school full time. I was kicked out and my sister left because she couldn't deal with our mother anymore.

So it does happen even though you don't know anyone who it's happened to. You may know someone who didn't announce it to the world either.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
I have known guys whose parents had their stuff packed when they turned 18, some of them turned out okay, some didn't.

My mother never had a "you must move out" rule but there was a get a job or go to school rule, I chose college.

I went to college and the only thing my mother paid was food and shelter, I got very little financial "aid" due to her income, I took out student loans for tuition and supplies, my last quarter I had a part time job.

Once I graduated college and got a pretty good job, I couldn't move out fast enough, mostly for the privacy that afforded me.

It was suggested for the Op to go to a "temp" agency, this is a VERY good suggestion, modern "temp" agencies are more an employment agency than temp agency, they have many jobs that turn into full time jobs and many are semi-skilled to skilled positions and some provide training if you qualify(they test), you need to tell them when applying you are looking for full time permanent position, apply at more than one, apply at every one you can find.
Temp agencies cater to the lowest denominator employers. They are liars, sleazes, and pimps and their clients are also liars and sleazes. I posted a study that only 27% of their so called temp to hire jobs ever turn permanent. Regardless they are not a place to find desirable employment. They are sometimes good as survival jobs to get a paycheck while searching full effort on your own for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment