Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I'm not that old, but I remember when I was a kid/in high school that not only were more jobs available, but also "youth outreach" type programs where a company or government agency may allow a high school student to come in and "job shadow" or there may be a program geared toward youth.

I worked in a PC repair shop between my junior and senior years of high school. It was decent money (more than today's minimum wage) and taught me how to use little hand tools, consumer PC troubleshooting, and customer service skills. Today, those types of shops are mostly out of business as people have shifted to tablets and PCs have become disposable.

I also remember the TN DNR offering specific programs geared toward rising juniors and seniors in the local high schools. While I don't know for sure if the programs are gone, I haven't heard much of them lately, and they were fairly visible ten or more years ago. The local hospitals also had deals with the local high schools where the high school students involved in the health care classes could learn more from hospital staff and other nurses.

Do you think these kinds of programs are in decline today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
No, I think they are on the rise.

The assumption that EVERYone should go to college has placed less emphasis on vocational education, but it certainly still exists.

Now that the college bubble has burst a bit and people are remembering the value of skilled trades, community colleges are stepping up to attract more students by partnering with local companies for job tracks.

Our local school system has cooperative education, job shadowing, service learning, health science clinical internships and even school-sponsored businesses like bank branches.

It's probably just off your radar because you aren't directly involved anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment