Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I was responding to another poster who brought it up. You would have to ask him.
I don't have to ask that poster anything. You took their post out of context and gave an off-topic response.

His mention of exercising in hot weather was ALSO an EXAMPLE for his statement of fact related to the topic, which was that hot/humid weather is another factor in people abandoning the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This same poster you quoted goes around demanding "citations" from other posters, yet they see no problem with "extrapolating" statistics themselves...
1. I provided a citation to support my numbers.
2. Interpolation and Extrapolation is a scientific methods to provide a relatively accurate estimate. Which is enough to make a point.
3. I didn't demand a citation anywhere. I asked for one. It seems that you couldn't provide one since you were making stuff up. Which was my initial reason for asking for one. I realized that you're just making stuff up.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
...and probably has driven through the south a couple of times yet considers himself qualified to pontificate.
I actually have homes and offices in the South. Not in NC, however.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I actually have homes and offices in the South. Not in NC, however.
Yet you hail from and live in "the northeast."

Like I said, carpetbagger.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I realized that you're just making stuff up.
I guess you would know, given how you completely made up those statistics in this thread, or as you call it, "extrapolated."

Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I guess you would know, given how you completely made up those statistics in this thread, or as you call it, "extrapolated."
I provided a citation. Just because you're too lazy to read and do math, doesn't make it made-up. You crack me up.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
1) The OP has a tendency to start threads with a VERY broad theory based on his very limited experience.

2) The South will not be abandoned. It's a ridiculous concept. If people didn't abandon it 120 years ago, they won't abandon it now, especially when we have super low property taxes and no need for snow blowers.

Besides, just like ANY state, there are successful areas and struggling areas. No broad brush will cover it all.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yet you hail from and live in "the northeast."

Like I said, carpetbagger.
Call it what you want. I made an effort to create jobs in the South and take advantage of the great amount of talent and diversity down there. I hope more people work hard to create jobs down there.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
1) The OP has a tendency to start threads with a VERY broad theory based on his very limited experience.

2) The South will not be abandoned. It's a ridiculous concept. If people didn't abandon it 120 years ago, they won't abandon it now, especially when we have super low property taxes and no need for snow blowers.

Besides, just like ANY state, there are successful areas and struggling areas. No broad brush will cover it all.
There was mass migration from the south to the north during the late 19th and 20th centuries, as the South's economy was hit hard by the abolishment of slavery. But yes, those days are long gone. If anything, people are beginning to migrate back to the south, due to the low COL and the low cost to do business.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 PM

166 posts, read 243,612 times
The OP has a trend, at least that is what I've noticed, of backhanded disparaging remarks about the South.
But, if I were to respond I would say no there will not be a mass migration barring any natural or regional economic disasters. Furthermore, I think a case can be made that while rural Appalachia and other pockets of isolated communities do exist in a state of perpetual poverty there are many areas in the South that are industrial, technology and manufacturing powerhouses. Oak Ridge, Chattanooga and Spring Hill, Tennessee come to mind.

There is mixture of culture and geographic isolationism that will ensure that certain areas will be the last to reap any benefits of society at large here in the South. That's just the way it is but it is not representative of the whole.

I for one am proud to be from the South and embrace the good characteristics of my culture while acknowledging the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment