Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
You'd be surprised. I'm a very fast learner.
Stuff that takes normal people weeks to a few months to learn, I get it down pat in just a few days. All of my bosses always marveled at how quickly I learned.
Please do report back after the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Quote:
Did you even read the thread or just read the title of the thread?
Hi yes I did read the thread. Honestly I have to agree with the person above me. Your chances of getting away with the lie were low....seems to be the only reason you were truthful.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
The number of dishonest people on here is amazing. Have fun BSing your way through life. Just know people who lie about small things will lie about big things. Says alot about who you are as a person. Cheers.
Bosses BS employees ALL OF THE TIME, too. I had an interview today, BTW, and I couldn't believe the company owner BSing me about the position. So for those that want to BS their way to land a job: GO FOR IT.

-Cheers.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And what whould the OP's credit report tell you about his ADP experience? The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how little time is spent at interviews assessing the candidate's actual skills and competnece.
I didn't say that the company the OP is interviewing with should necessarily check his/her credit. I just gave that as an example of a very thorough screening process in which the HONESTY of an applicant is verified.

Screening is cumulative. You look for gaps in information, inconsistencies, etc. Careful interviewing and screening can uncover a pattern of deceptiveness. It's no guarantee, but it can be helpful.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Please the people running the companies in upper management are the biggest BSers of all. In anycase, if there is one thing about hiring I've learned, it is that it selects for BS. BS is one of the most valuable skills in the job market today. Therefore, give them what they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
We all lie and BS in our everyday lives. I think the average person lies how many times a day?

There's a difference between outright lying and then 'embellishing' details.

I've interviewed for jobs where I perhaps embellished a few things. For example, they'd ask if I worked with a certain system before, and I'd tell them I did. In reality, I never directly worked with the system, but they did have the system at my then current job and I told them I was familiar with it.
Lies and embellishments abound. In a recent position, we were about to lose a contract, yet, management was telling interviewees that the contract would go for at least a year. Many of the newcomers worked only 2 to 9 months before getting let go.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:00 AM

589 posts, read 696,115 times
Quote:
BS is one of the most valuable skills in the job market today. Therefore, give them what they want.
Pretty much, yeah. More and more employers are looking for that purple squirrel. You'll likely have to BS about something just to get your foot in the door.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
And what whould the OP's credit report tell you about his ADP experience? The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how little time is spent at interviews assessing the candidate's actual skills and competnece.
Credit gives a clue to a person's character. It is not a foolproof indicator, because some people are completely innocent victims of circumstances, which an honest person can usually explain to the hiring manager's satisfaction. Other people simply don't have good judgment on financial matters but are otherwise skilled workers. This can also be teased out in an interview. I do not expect young, inexperienced people to be perfect. But an applicant with excellent credit is much less likely to become a problem employee than one with poor credit.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Bosses BS employees ALL OF THE TIME, too. I had an interview today, BTW, and I couldn't believe the company owner BSing me about the position. So for those that want to BS their way to land a job: GO FOR IT.

-Cheers.
I'm not a holier-than-thou type of person im just saying personally I would never lie and have never had to lie to get a job. But once you start lying small you'll start lying big. Ive seen it too many times. To each his own I suppose.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
What will happen is that the OP will land the job and almost immediately be called to task on the lack of knowledge on the software. This will either require honesty at that point (which could lead to termination) or another lie to cover up the first one. OP if you are a fast learner, play off of that in the interview. I think those that are telling you to lie are getting some kick out of seeing you go in and get the boot. I for one, don't want to see this happen to anyone so some of us who have been in management and caught these lies are trying to give you real advice.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised. I'm a very fast learner.
Stuff that takes normal people weeks to a few months to learn, I get it down pat in just a few days. All of my bosses always marveled at how quickly I learned.
Ya, and software has always been "my thing". Wait till ADP shatters you. Almost 4 years in a parts department and I still bang my head on the desk with it - as do the guys who have been here many more years than I. We are constantly finding new things with it but the worst is the complete lack of consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment