Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The employees at Walmart can shop right in the store they work for and get what they need for less than $10.00 per item when it is on sale and with their employee discount. I have picked up the same shirts for $2.00 each and the pants for $4.00 each at Walmart and it isn't like they have to make a special trip to go shopping and use any extra gasoline.

They are fussing just to fuss.
Unfortunately we don't get an additional discount on sale items. But it's okay with me. Things are cheap enough it's no hardship.

I have no idea what the "fuss" is all about. It's not like they changed all the rules or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I was under the impression that the uniforms were going to be available at Walmart at a huge discount to employees plus their 10% discount. I had heard that the polo's would be available for around $3-$4 and pants at a similar price.

I could be wrong though. I worked at a grocery store and they supplied 1 shirt, but it had the company logo on it and I had to wear dress pants and dress shoes. Maybe I'm odd, but I have never worked for an employer that provided all of my clothing. Why is this a big deal? They want their employees to dress in a standard uniform.

So now 100-150k is the threshold for a living wage? Pretty impressive society you live in.]

Where do you guys get your info from? According to glassdoor the average cashier (the lowest paid position at Walmart) makes on average $8.55 an hour.

Salary: Wal Mart Cashier | Glassdoor
I think you heard wrong. If there WAS a "huge discount" there wouldn't be any 10% on top of that. The shirts, through the company are about $7. I got mine at Penney's for $5.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Many Walmart workers would have a hard time buying preppy new clothes just to wear to work. Why does this not surprise me about Walmart?

Also, the khaki pants, white collared shirt look is kind of tired and outdated.
They aren't that expensive. What would you suggest instead of the current 'uniform'?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I worked at a nice restaurant while in school and had to wear khakis, white longsleeve button down oxford shirt, striped club tie and white low cut shoes - no high top basket ball shoes, which aren't professional looking unless running up and down a court.

If you didn't have a tie the restaurant would "rent" you one for your shift for $5. Women wore a type of tie shaped scarf. I would receive enough in tips each night to guy a new set of clothes for every day but only had 3 sets. Everything had to be pressed so the seams were nice and sharp - meaning...one had to iron every day and use starch, either in the wash or spray. Uniform, no... dress code. If you weren't dressed correctly you didn't work your $$$ shift so everyone complied without complaint.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Unfortunately we don't get an additional discount on sale items. But it's okay with me. Things are cheap enough it's no hardship.

I have no idea what the "fuss" is all about. It's not like they changed all the rules or anything.

Because it's Wal Mart. Costco, BJ's, Safeway, Giant, Stop 'N' Shop, Macy's, Nordstrom's, the local 7-11 are ok, but its a violation of human rights to have a Wal Mart employee follow a dress code.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Some Walmart employees were recently angry about a new clothing mandate. Workers would have to wear khaki or black bottoms and navy blue or white collared shirts.

How Walmart's 'Dress Code' Costs Employees - Forbes
I thought this was the standard uniform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post

Try comparing using real world numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I maybe could have been clearer, but I mentioned "ignoring inflation" in the sentence before the one you quote. Adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage in 1980 was worth more than $8/hour would be now.

http://www.dol.gov/minwage/chart1.htm
Production and manufacturing costs have come way down since the 1980s. Prices, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's becoming more difficult for workers at the bottom to survive. This is just piling on their expenses.
Yes, it is. However they are not being required to wear any specific brand or clothing of any specific quality. If they do not already own items of these colors they could be had from a thrift store.

I worked at a Target during the 1990s; the uniform was simply khaki pants and a plain, red, shirt. My uniform came from a thrift store. No one noticed or cared.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think you heard wrong. If there WAS a "huge discount" there wouldn't be any 10% on top of that. The shirts, through the company are about $7. I got mine at Penney's for $5.
I meant huge discount to say going to another store. As in Walmart was actually selling the clothing they were requiring. Sorry I wasn't clear. $7 was a bit more than I had heard they were, but obviously you know more than me.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because it's Wal Mart. Costco, BJ's, Safeway, Giant, Stop 'N' Shop, Macy's, Nordstrom's, the local 7-11 are ok, but its a violation of human rights to have a Wal Mart employee follow a dress code.
Boy, isn't that the truth? lol It doesn't matter that all those big corporations follow, pretty much, the same standard rules and regs but Walmart always gets the most flack. I'm GLAD to see them enforcing the uniformity because seeing people who actually look like slobs at work DOES bother me.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I meant huge discount to say going to another store. As in Walmart was actually selling the clothing they were requiring. Sorry I wasn't clear. $7 was a bit more than I had heard they were, but obviously you know more than me.
The only reason I knew is because I asked two days ago. lol I was figuring out if 10% off of $7 would be better or just paying $5 per shirt. The latter won out. Actually I was hoping to get logo shirts but they didn't have any.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times
I'm not sure of the store discount (if any) WalMart employees receive, but the polos and khakis they sell can be very cheap and *extremely* cheap. I would guess an employee could get two pairs of khakis and two polos for, what, $40? I know that's not nothing, but it is a rather small price to pay in order to keep one's job.

When I worked at McDs in high school, they gave us polos and those horrendous pants to wear. One would think WalMart could do the same (or at least at cost).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment