Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM

17 posts, read 64,967 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Been in this job for 7 months. Prior to this I was a contractor overseas for several years and before that I was an Officer in the US Air Force. This is my first time working outside of the DoD arena.

I now make $82K a year in Atlanta, GA as an IT Project Manager. I'm a single male, 39, PMP certified, Masters Degree in MIS, ITILv3, 16 years of IT experience (PM, networks, Software Developement), etc. I receive decent benefits, get 15 days vacation a year, and I work from home 90% of the time. The company is great; great boss, awesome coworkers and consultants, best organization I have ever worked for.

The bad part is that I cannot move up with this company. It is small company (less than 100 people) I report directly to the CEO, and it is not organized in a way that I could ever be promoted . The job is not hard and it is usually pretty low stress.

Does $82K sound low to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
it's probably ok for your location and the fact that you get to work from home, get good benefits, etc.

of course the best way to find out is to interview and tell recruiters that you're happy where you are but open to exploring other opportunities and it would really only be worthwhile to leave if the offer is over $100k...and see what they say.

with that said, i know many project managers with your qualifications that make double what you make but they are not in ATL (so adjusting for local markets, etc...)

Old 09-09-2014, 01:28 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,127 times
This depends on what you're looking for in terms of pay vs benefits.

Question - are you working insane hours (i.e. 50+ hours a week)? If so, then I say yes.

If you work less than 50 hours a week, you've got an awesome work life balance - and I'd say no.

I'm currently a business analyst (in Dallas now but from Atlanta, and the markets are pretty comparable), and PM is the "next logical step" in my career - but I don't want to be a PM for many reasons, but the primary one is because most of the PM's I know work insanely long and/or crazy hours.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
What do the salary charts say? 82K in Atlanta is probably fine, but it sounds like you have a nice working environment, which is priceless!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:53 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplegold View Post
Greetings,

Been in this job for 7 months. Prior to this I was a contractor overseas for several years and before that I was an Officer in the US Air Force. This is my first time working outside of the DoD arena.

I now make $82K a year in Atlanta, GA as an IT Project Manager. I'm a single male, 39, PMP certified, Masters Degree in MIS, ITILv3, 16 years of IT experience (PM, networks, Software Developement), etc. I receive decent benefits, get 15 days vacation a year, and I work from home 90% of the time. The company is great; great boss, awesome coworkers and consultants, best organization I have ever worked for.

The bad part is that I cannot move up with this company. It is small company (less than 100 people) I report directly to the CEO, and it is not organized in a way that I could ever be promoted . The job is not hard and it is usually pretty low stress.

Seems reasonable to me for Atlanta.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
I bought my Apple computer from a former IT project manager with a masters degree in computer science now working as a sales associate in an US Apple store. You should consider yourself lucky you found this job.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,561 times
OP, the salary combined with your stated benefits PLUS working from home makes the $82K salary sound very reasonable.

How many hours per week are you actually working?

Also, is the company positioned strategically to expand within its market? Promotion might not be an opportunity now but it is not uncommon for your position to rise in value within the company as the company expands.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
It is a pretty reasonable salary for a stay-at-home project manager. Since you are working from home, I am going to assume that your normal week is 40 to 45 hours. I haven't worked with a lot of different companies but a stay-at-home project manager with reasonable hours is pretty rare, IMO. So, while 82k isn't a ton for a project manager in a metro area with 4 to 5 million people (I don't live in Atlanta but I don't think of it as a cheap, small city), it doesn't sound like they are burdening you with the usual hours and work requirements of the typical IT manager. I think it sounds pretty good.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 PM

143 posts, read 221,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplegold View Post
Greetings,

I think you have it pretty good considering you get to stay at home. I would take a pay cut to get an offer like that.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:10 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
I think you have it pretty good considering you get to stay at home. I would take a pay cut to get an offer like that.
I wonder if there is an overwhelming amount of people that would prefer to work at home that frequent forums.

I feel I would go insane if I had to work at home more than once a week. I need the interaction of an office and the ability to bounce ideas off people in a face-to-face format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment