Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 2,170 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I'm interviewing for a great job at the end of the week and have a question I haven't found an answer to in searching. I live 1300 miles away from my very young son. Ideally I'd go there for a week or so every other month (he is here about as often) and I'm not sure how to make this happen. Most advice I've seen online advocates waiting for an offer but they are referring to one time vacation plans for the most part. Any idea when to find out if a recurring absence can be accommodated?

This is in excess of the vacation time. I'm willing to take unpaid leave but remote work probably isn't a possibility. I know that the institution is able to make this work if they choose to do so, just not sure how best to put them in a willing mood.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Bring it up at the time of offer. Earlier than that will cost you the job. Waiting until after you're hired will leave a bad taste in their mouth where you are concerned and they may find a reason to get rid of you.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglog View Post
Hi All. I'm interviewing for a great job at the end of the week and have a question I haven't found an answer to in searching. I live 1300 miles away from my very young son. Ideally I'd go there for a week or so every other month (he is here about as often) and I'm not sure how to make this happen. Most advice I've seen online advocates waiting for an offer but they are referring to one time vacation plans for the most part. Any idea when to find out if a recurring absence can be accommodated?

This is in excess of the vacation time. I'm willing to take unpaid leave but remote work probably isn't a possibility. I know that the institution is able to make this work if they choose to do so, just not sure how best to put them in a willing mood.

Thanks!
It is best to be upfront with them from the start so they can make the decision if this is something that is acceptable to them.
Good luck with the interview.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Sorry, I am going to be frank here. When you start a new job(and especially in this economy) you have to be a "problem free" employee. Employers don't want to hear scenarios like this from someone new.

MPowering has a good point to bring it up now, but don't be surprised if the offer is retracted.

If you want to see your son more, than look for jobs that are closer to him instead of living 1,300 miles away.

You need to decide which is more important, a "great" job or being in your son's life on a regular basis.

You can ask, but be prepared that the answer could be no and the offer retracted.

And if your current position allows it than keep it.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 PM

310 posts, read 686,015 times
Quote:
Leave without pay is not as straight forward as you may think. If you exceed 10 LwoP days pay fiscal year then it will impact your retirement, vesting in any retirement plans, and a whole bunch of other stuff that may not be advantageous to you.

From where I am looking you are screwed either way. If you bring it up ahead of time then you won't get the job. If you bring it up at the offer then they will most likely rescind the offer. If you bring it up after the fact then you will likely be cut lose at the next best opportunity.

Companies hire people to create value for the shareholders/owners. Companies don't hire people so people can be absent on a regular basis.

Unless you have a stellar skill set that is so difficult to find that you are worth the trouble you will either not get the job or you will lose the job over your frequent absence requirement. That's the reality of it.

seain dublin gave good advice. Move closer to your son or decide that your own life is more important to you (which is OK too). Visit every few months, use Skype inbetween, etc. etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks all - a few clarifications:

This is a part time job at a public library. I've worked with various staff there in other areas in the community and am confident they are willing to work with me. I do not know the interviewer aside from what I've been able to read about them. The position is advertised as flexible with the option to pick up extra hours for others doing something similar.

Unfortunately moving to son is not as good an option as it seems - Ex is relocating at an undetermined time and he will be better off just about anywhere. After that is settled I will focus on getting closer.

So this really is a question of when to bring this up. I'll certainly keep my current work portfolio - just want to get out in the community for a few hours a week if I can make this or something similar happen.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks all - a few clarifications:

This is a part time job at a public library.
How much money can you possibly be making at that job?
Is there really no way to earn the same amount by doing some contract work from home which would allow for a far more flexible schedule?

What kind of work is this?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 PM

I own a business that pays the bills and is as flexible as I want it to be. It's very isolating. I don't need to work at the library, I want to. I have good reason to believe they are willing and able to accommodate my schedule. So when is the opportune time to bring it up?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 PM

Is the employment part-time regular or is it part-time temporary? Meaning are you receiving benefits or not?
If you are receiving benefits then I would personally bring it up ASAP but only because you said that you didn't need the work. I think that disclosing such availability issues early is the ethical thing to do.

If you are not receiving benefits then I'd bring it up during the offer as part of the offer negotiation. Since you are classified as temporary part-time there shouldn't be a huge issue with absences as the hours can probably be given to another temp.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
How much money can you possibly be making at that job?
Is there really no way to earn the same amount by doing some contract work from home which would allow for a far more flexible schedule?

What kind of work is this?

That's a good question. It sounds like a library asst. position, checking out books.

The thing is, they may not want to hire someone even part time who wants so much time off.

I know someone who works at my local library, people get into the job by starting "subbing" at the various branches when someone calls in sick, goes on vacation, etc.

She told me they hire people permanently who are available when needed.

I would imagine the OP has a library with a similar system.

Starting off any job(even part time) with a request like that could knock you out of the running.

OP, unless it is a position that is very specialized and very few people can do(and that is not the case here) you have to remember that the employer wants people with the most availability. They may say OK if you said I can't work Tuesday evenings because I have a class, but this is more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment