Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Unpaid internships are growing, not shrinking.

The Growing Culture of Unpaid Internships - US News

The Growing Culture of Unpaid Internships - US News

And here's another source that indicates unpaid internships can, in fact, be a waste of time and detrimental to one's career.

That unpaid internship may have been a waste of time
I think your source on the growing unpaid internship may be a little dated due to the fact that since August 2011, there have been a number of high profile cases since then where unpaid interns have been suing their employers citing unfair labor practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Whether the internship is paid or not isn't the issue. They came on board for college credits (I'm assuming) and know the deal when they start. This behavior is horrible.

I've always made sure interns in my department are paid but I had similar issues that started a few years ago. Now we just lay it all out during the interview and tell them what the expectations are and what happens if policy isn't followed. That seems to help weed out those who know they're not going to last.

With all the people who have posted here saying they're looking for an internship, even unpaid, just to get their foot in the door or get some experience, we shouldn't be so naive as to think nobody but slugs would ever accept such a position.

Since you are PAYING THEM, then yes, you SHOULD expect them to do as you ask without any problems.

When you don't, then you get what you get. *shrugs shoulders*

Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Anyone who accepts an unpaid internship is, in my mean-spirited opinion, a bad unit of labor, and shouldn't be in the labor market to begin with. I am strongly suspicious of the critical-thinking skills of anyone who accepts a position at a wage rate of $0.00 an hour -- the opportunity costs of such an arrangement are immense. One would be better off spending that time doing a whole array of different things, the least of which simply being partaking in leisure.
I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want to come across as judgmental. To put a finer point on it, the person who does unpaid work comes across as desperate and pitiful. What's sad is that their parents are probably financing their gig, because they likely have to live at home as a young adult in order to work for free. Businesses know that desperate parents who want little Johnny or Janie to succeed, will be willing to give the adult kid money and a place to live while they do the free work.

I would have huge question marks about someone with an "unpaid internship" on their resume, especially if they had worked for longer than six months at it. If they worked for well over a year without pay, I would think they were a buffoon and definitely not someone I'd want making crucial decisions in the workplace.

I mean, I once did an unpaid gig but it was only for TWO WEEKS and it was part of my training program as well.

Instead of an unpaid internship, they could get experience doing volunteer work for a non-profit charity and they could still put it down on their resume as job experience - and contribute something of real value to society at the same time.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:57 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I think your source on the growing unpaid internship may be a little dated due to the fact that since August 2011, there have been a number of high profile cases since then where unpaid interns have been suing their employers citing unfair labor practices.
And I've been asking for these cases and haven't seen them. Where are they? Did the employee actually win the case? If so, that's relevant. If the employee did not win, its not that relevant. Employees can sue their employer for any reason.
And I'd also like to see data on how unpaid internships are shrinking because I haven't seen that, I've only seen information that they are growing like crazy.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

Exactly. It has done a complete reversal the last couple of years. Legal departments have widely advised against them over the last couple of years.

Quote:
And I've been asking for these cases and haven't seen them. Where are they? Did the employee actually win the case? If so, that's relevant. If the employee did not win, its not that relevant. Employees can sue their employer for any reason.
And I'd also like to see data on how unpaid internships are shrinking because I haven't seen that, I've only seen information that they are growing like crazy.

Google the "Black Swan" legal case, it is the most recent big ruling against unpaid internships.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
After dealing with a string of interns with horrible work ethics, I'm just curious if anyone else has been having the same issue.

I work for a large and well known global company. We do not pay our interns but offer college credits and allow them to pick their own hours (typically 20-30 hours/week). I've worked two unpaid internships myself and I know how much it sucks to not get any reimbursement, but that didn't stop me from working hard to gain experience and positive references.

However, the past few interns I co-supervised were absolutely lazy and terrible. It's not just me, my other teammates had the same problems. I've also talked to colleagues in separate departments who also shared their stories of awful interns.

Here is a list of behavior my colleagues and I have actually dealt with: interns showing up 2-3 hours after the agreed start time with no notice, leaving early without checking in first, watching videos on their computers instead of finishing pressing projects, napping in the company kitchen area, long lunches with fellow interns (even after showing up late), replying to large group emails with unnecessary or inappropriate comments, bringing friends into the office without asking permission, claiming to have worked on a project all day but the document somehow didn't get saved so they can't send it to you (this happened 3 times).

I am understanding when an intern does a project wrong because that means I didn't clearly explain the instructions. But the behavior I'm seeing is so ludicrous - this should be plain common sense. The worst part is we sit down with the interns and point out their unprofessional behavior and it still continues!

Does anyone else have similar stories?
They are not being paid that's the problem.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Companies that don't pay interns are despicable.

I will take the over that you probably are breaking the law, since intern work (erhhhh.... slave labor) is highly regulated. Regulated to the point that you can receive no economic benefit from their free labor.

It is an 18th century concept in the 21st century!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want to come across as judgmental. To put a finer point on it, the person who does unpaid work comes across as desperate and pitiful. What's sad is that their parents are probably financing their gig, because they likely have to live at home as a young adult in order to work for free. Businesses know that desperate parents who want little Johnny or Janie to succeed, will be willing to give the adult kid money and a place to live while they do the free work.
Huh? I can tell you nearly half of the work in the northeast in government is largely performed for free. Countless board and commissions have unpaid labor. It is hardly desperate or pitiful as frankly it builds a portfolio. The town moderator in my town was moderator from age 21 to 81.

It isn't all about the money. Because public records are public it validates the work being performed rather then experience at some corporation which will say whatever it wants to.

In the private sector yes you have to pay for your intern or at the very least pay for any form of credits because if you offer credits that does imply that you are paying for them. furthermore the legal status of interns is what is really at question here. To argue that someone cannot qualify for minimum wage means what exactly? If there is an accident does the insurance claims at company xyz cover said person? If not why not?

As for living at home frankly much of the planet lives in multigenerational housing and frankly since most living in cities they are never truly "alone" for starters. Is anyone in NYC, Chicago, LA etc *really* alone if they can throw a rock at someone at ten feet at any point? If you really want to live alone you have to move out to a remote part of the country and that nullifies any point of doing so.

People can legally work for free but that is volunteering. That also can come with a cost as well as there has to be background checks, credit checks etc depending on the work being performed. If the OP is not keeping records at all then they are dooming themselves for failure if it comes up.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
What kind of company hires interns and asks them to work 20-30 hours a work for free? Screw the college credits. No reputable "Global company" does that. Your company sucks OP and I don't blame the interns for slacking off. Why should anyone work that many hours for free? Jesus Christ these people and their demands. I hope this thread was a joke, because it sure sounds like one.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
If they are unpaid than I thought they could not be doing anything that was not directly linked to them learning the job? meaning no working on pressing projects or working on important documents just because the company needs them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment