Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:55 PM

212 posts, read 1,001,512 times

Advertisements

After dealing with a string of interns with horrible work ethics, I'm just curious if anyone else has been having the same issue.

I work for a large and well known global company. We do not pay our interns but offer college credits and allow them to pick their own hours (typically 20-30 hours/week). I've worked two unpaid internships myself and I know how much it sucks to not get any reimbursement, but that didn't stop me from working hard to gain experience and positive references.

However, the past few interns I co-supervised were absolutely lazy and terrible. It's not just me, my other teammates had the same problems. I've also talked to colleagues in separate departments who also shared their stories of awful interns.

Here is a list of behavior my colleagues and I have actually dealt with: interns showing up 2-3 hours after the agreed start time with no notice, leaving early without checking in first, watching videos on their computers instead of finishing pressing projects, napping in the company kitchen area, long lunches with fellow interns (even after showing up late), replying to large group emails with unnecessary or inappropriate comments, bringing friends into the office without asking permission, claiming to have worked on a project all day but the document somehow didn't get saved so they can't send it to you (this happened 3 times).

I am understanding when an intern does a project wrong because that means I didn't clearly explain the instructions. But the behavior I'm seeing is so ludicrous - this should be plain common sense. The worst part is we sit down with the interns and point out their unprofessional behavior and it still continues!

Does anyone else have similar stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,920,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La'Quesha View Post
I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 PM

31,926 posts, read 14,913,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
After dealing with a string of interns with horrible work ethics, I'm just curious if anyone else has been having the same issue.

I work for a large and well known global company. We do not pay our interns but offer college credits and allow them to pick their own hours (typically 20-30 hours/week). I've worked two unpaid internships myself and I know how much it sucks to not get any reimbursement, but that didn't stop me from working hard to gain experience and positive references.

However, the past few interns I co-supervised were absolutely lazy and terrible. It's not just me, my other teammates had the same problems. I've also talked to colleagues in separate departments who also shared their stories of awful interns.

Here is a list of behavior my colleagues and I have actually dealt with: interns showing up 2-3 hours after the agreed start time with no notice, leaving early without checking in first, watching videos on their computers instead of finishing pressing projects, napping in the company kitchen area, long lunches with fellow interns (even after showing up late), replying to large group emails with unnecessary or inappropriate comments, bringing friends into the office without asking permission, claiming to have worked on a project all day but the document somehow didn't get saved so they can't send it to you (this happened 3 times).

I am understanding when an intern does a project wrong because that means I didn't clearly explain the instructions. But the behavior I'm seeing is so ludicrous - this should be plain common sense. The worst part is we sit down with the interns and point out their unprofessional behavior and it still continues!

Does anyone else have similar stories?
And that is the problem. Your interns are not paid but are required to work a 40 hour week. How are they supposed to live on no income. Why aren't you interns paid

Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,920,135 times
OP, Hire employees to do the work. Pay them. Problem solved.

Next.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 PM

2,225 posts, read 2,388,744 times
Yeah, interns need to at least be paid minimum wage... these companies are just using unpaid interns. I probably wouldn't be motivated to work very hard if I wasn't getting paid anything.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 AM

174 posts, read 331,494 times
I wouldn't give a rat's ass either if I were unpaid. While some of the attitudes you have described in your OP is unacceptable, all of this behaviour stems from the fact that they are unpaid. You would get much better interns if you paid at least the minimum wage.

So I guess it's finally the employer's turn to get the raw end of the deal.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,308,825 times
Pay them. Problem solved.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 AM

820 posts, read 1,206,218 times
I have only worked paid internships, why would I waste my time with an unpaid one when I could gain my own experience? Your company is fine with them doing work but not paying for it?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:03 AM

435 posts, read 633,846 times
They are lazy because they aren't getting paid.
PAY them and then you might see them become more productive. Your business can afford to pay at least minimum wage. And if they can't afford to pay minimum wage to interns, what does this say about the business? Its not very successful.

I don't agree with, or respect, any company that exploits people and does not pay them. But at the same time, I have to wonder about the sanity of anyone who would do free work. I would never do an unpaid internship - I would wait tables or work at a fast food place if I had to instead. Because I'd get a guaranteed paycheck.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM

2,870 posts, read 2,111,388 times
maybe all the good interns landed paid positions and you're left with the dregs. pay them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment