Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
If you are a women, just find a guy with a great career and marry him. Problem solved.
There are currently many women trying to do this. Guys that are smart enough to have a great career are smart enough to watch out for women like this and spot them from a mile away. They will date you and fool around with you, but they immediately disqualify you as marriage material. Who wants to marry a lazy and useless woman trying to get a free ride through life anyways? What happens if he loses his job? She will be gone in an instant looking for another free ride. She will likely cheat too because she is just trying to find a sucker to use versus trying to find someone where there is mutual love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
There are currently many women trying to do this. Guys that are smart enough to have a great career are smart enough to watch out for women like this and spot them from a mile away. They will date you and fool around with you, but they immediately disqualify you as marriage material. Who wants to marry a lazy and useless woman trying to get a free ride through life anyways? What happens if he loses his job? She will be gone in an instant looking for another free ride. She will likely cheat too because she is just trying to find a sucker to use versus trying to find someone where there is mutual love.
Plus, the relationship could turn into an abusive one if the male role has too much power. It's not my grandfather's nor even my dad's generation anymore. Men attach too many strings. No thanks; I value my freedom and happiness. The military is probably a better option than this. I know enough stay-at-home moms to know that is not the lifestyle for me.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You know I often do not agree with many of the ways millennials handle themselves, and the way they think, then I read posts like these and realize just how much us older generations have really let them down.

Many of them have not been allowed to fail throughout school, and then when they struggle in the real world they think they are the only ones, many truly believe they are the 1st generation to struggle especially early in life.
I'm not really sure what you mean. When I was going to high school, public education was still in transition; we didn't suffer much from No Child Left Behind, and there wasn't much of a push to make sure every student "got it." Students most certainly did fail classes if they did not know the material, and there was no night school or credit recovery option like there is today. Oddly, I think some of my high school courses were more difficult than my college pre-requisite courses. One thing that stood out to me about college was how easy it was. I hit the ground running and started an accelerated program during the summer. After I saw how good my grades were, I decided that it was indeed the place for me. My marks in high school, though, almost lead me to believe that I wasn't college material.

There were other reasons for doing poorly in high school, though. For one thing, I had to put up with the constant harassment from bullies. I was too shy to tell anyone I had an embarrassing illness that made me miss some of my classes and get marked down for attendance and participation. I had to put up with teachers who wanted everything done a certain way, even if I could not at all do my work the way they wanted. I also had to put up with parents who insisted I did not need glasses or contact lenses, so I missed most of the lessons due to being too shy to ask my teachers for accommodations. I suffered debilitating shyness that made me a lot more awkward than most of the girls. My days were so long that I didn't get enough sleep. I had violent nightmares and panic attacks. High school was like a bad dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
They have never been taught that sometimes you can make all the right decisions, put in all the work plus some that needs done, and it still does not work out.

Someone needs to teach them that sometimes life just sucks.

struggling early in life is not a terrible thing, as my grandfather told me when I was struggling in my younger days, it is the struggle that will bring out your character and help you build the confidence and knowledge to do better next time. For just about everybody there are good and bad times, it is how you handle the bad that makes all the difference. I know people that did not find their careers until their mid-late 30s and have done very well in life, I also know people who were very successful early in life and struggled later in life. It sucks, but you life is not even close to half over at 28 years old, you have a long life and long career ahead of you, figure out what you are good at, and find a way to do it. If you want a job working TESL there are options laid out in this thread for you, but if it is something else, than figure out how to get it done and get to work, quit worrying about how old you are and where you thought you would be by now, it is a waste of time and energy.
I guess I should start seeing failure as necessary for future success, but I wonder how much I need to fail. I'm supporting myself; moving back in with my dad or other relatives is not really an option. Even friends would expect me to have a job to help with expenses. Homelessness isn't fun; I've tried couch surfing and have found that people are quite rude to you. These experiences have helped me have a little more compassion and perhaps humility, but I still feel like I'm only good at going to school.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Well, staying in school forever isn't working out, is it? You will wind up broke and living with your parents because you have no job to repay all those debts you are incurring while staying comfortable in school. Go get a job.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Will that help me with the social aspect of this job? Where can I find good improv classes?
Improve and other "no pressure" group activities can help you break down this wall you seem to have. I really hate to tell people to drop grad programs but again, staying in the books is safe. All it does is prolong the problem and cause more debt.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 AM

219 posts, read 527,467 times
If you're willing to move to DC you can work for my enployer granted you have a clean record. It's $27-28/hour plus $4/hr going towards health insurance or a 401k (not matched). There's also the opportunity to make $250-$1500 per quarter in bonus money depending on clearance level. There are also opportunities to do esol volunteer work and possibly find a paying esol job. We have a large immigrant population and I used to volunteer with them. Message me if you--or anyone else--want more info.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
kmb501, have you looked at any of the links posted about other jobs that you can do - possibly part-time while you are in school - with an education degree?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I just don't understand how a new teacher could possibly be having such a hard time. The demand for teachers seems to be endless.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I guess I should start seeing failure as necessary for future success, but I wonder how much I need to fail. I'm supporting myself; moving back in with my dad or other relatives is not really an option. Even friends would expect me to have a job to help with expenses. Homelessness isn't fun; I've tried couch surfing and have found that people are quite rude to you. These experiences have helped me have a little more compassion and perhaps humility, but I still feel like I'm only good at going to school.
I feel the same. I've been through a lot in my life so I reach a point where enough is enough. Don't I have enough character by now? Also how can I learn from the failure if I get no feedback? Yeah yeah people on here say move or volunteer but how do I know I'm doing right (that it's not only those two things holding me back) when I'm applying for certain jobs? The perfectionist in me is going to think I did something wrong in the applications.
I'm not supporting myself but at this age I should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment