Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I worked at a job I sat in front of a computer all day entering numbers. Bored out of my mind. Hated it.
I would take that job in a heartbeat over something like

Fast Food
Labor
Retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
The only job I can say I hated is because of the crooked boss and stupid supervisor 7 years ago. It had nothing to do with the actual job just the fact that I was working for a fraudulent boss and ghetto supervisor who had no clue what he was doing

Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
When I've hated a job it was because of workplace bullies, control-freaks, and domineering tyrants in charge. Right now I have a job I really like, because I just go in, do my job, and I'm left alone in peace. No office politics, no BS, no bullies, I just go about my work in peace. My dream job
Good on you.

Anyways I worked a landscaping job while in college and it paid like $4/hr or something. The work was back breaking and the supervisors were terrible. I almost hated this job but quit before I reached that level.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Working for for Enterprise Rent A Car. And not necessarily the worst job ever, but awful considering you need a 4 year degree to work there, it may be the worst job that requires a degree.. They work you to the bone and pay you peanuts.

I wanted out after 2 months, but the workday is so long, you barely have anytime to look for a new job, and if they suspect you're looking, they will quickly fire you so that you are not toxic to other fed up employees. So you're literally stuck there until you hit that 6 month mark so you can at least collect unemployment.

The trick.......they normally hire folks fresh out of college who have struggled to find work in their major, or just have no clue what they want to do. It was a really post college job, but Ive come to appreciate every position that came after.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:23 PM

285 posts, read 534,090 times
I'm still young, but I've never had a job I've even slightly disliked. I don't put up with crap though, so if I did encounter a negative environment or position I hated, I would just leave and find something else rather than subject myself. I take a lot of care in applying and when I interview, I try to get a genuine feel for the culture and vibe of the organization. If it's not positive or somewhere I want to be, I don't pursue it further. So far its worked well for me and I've gained a lot of positive relationships.. I realize not everyone may have that luxury though.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
Pretty much hated every job I've ever had, including this one. Well maybe hate is too strong, but I certainly would rather be doing anything else than working and find it difficult to get up on weekdays. But if you ask me to wake up at 6AM for a hiking trip, I'm up in a snap
Maybe being a forest ranger or something of that type would be right up your alley!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 AM

391 posts, read 290,189 times
My last job... those people were toxic. I lied to myself and others for years and said I could work anyplace and it would not matter the people around me.

After two years of working with people who were nasty to each other (and funny part, they all treated me okay), I was done.

Even if you are not involved the stress levels in that office would rub off on you.

It was craziness at its finest.

I'm in an office now that I respect. We all don't love each other, but we have respect for each other. We have disagreements and some people might not be my first pick, but we work through issues. We work together and bond when we need to get something done.

Not perfect, but perfect enough that I purchased a snack for everyone recently and we are professional enough that we all sat around and ate together. There was a lot of laughter and not a whole lot of talk about work. It was nice.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I hated my job the first day I started. 20 years later I'm still doing it. When I think about the paycheck what I "think" about the job becomes irrelevant.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:43 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I've never had a job I hated, but had some management that made me hate coming to work. I love what I do and over the years have had some good bosses and some bad ones. But a couple were so terrible that I don't have words to describe it. The kind where you get physically sick on Sunday afternoon because you know Monday is coming. My current boss isn't evil, but also not outstanding. Just kind of blandly mediocre but I'll take that any day over the pervious one.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
If I ever hated any past employment, it was never about the actual duties of the job. It would be about a terrible manager, or the sick company culture, or uncomfortable, unpleasant working conditions or inadequate or antiquated working tools. These are the things they never tell you about in the interview, but you find out after you start. You eventually acclimate to adverse conditions, or you don't and leave. Usually, the job duties have been accurately described, so I was confident about being able to do the job.

Jobs I've loved the most were mentally-challenging, in a very professional environment, with an employer that cares about the welfare of it's employees. But, I've noticed after working for many years, this is an increasingly-rare combination. Sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment