Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

I believe there is, and I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing. If you find that you are bored in your current job and you just aren't motivated by the industry or field then you need to think about doing a total career change.

If you are failing at the job then yes, stop now and look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:48 PM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Asking this question implies that we are still in a normal economy. We are not.

The six figure jobs one could work into with the right degree and lots of work and butt-kissing are rapidly disappearing. These days, getting a full-time job, rather than some percentage thereof is a great accomplishment.

And, no, I don't want to hear about how new doctors and lawyers are making it, because a majority are wallowing in student debt and under-employment.

There are a number of graduates under age thirty who are clueless about the reality of today's economy. They get their info from TV and bad stats. They major in things like "mass communications" and wonder why they have a part-time job at Target and are swamped with c.c. and student loan debt. That wasn't how it was supposed to be! they wail.

Guess what? The rules have changed. This isn't your parent's economy. It's the economy of 1929 and we're in Germany.

Suck it up. Get three jobs. Eliminate the debt, and practice learning a trade that can't be off-shored. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Once WWIII starts, there will be more government office and logistics jobs. Gotta support the war, ya know. Buy bonds! (sarcasm)

Make it in a career? Bhahahahahahaha! Maybe in the military. Or building bombs.

If you haven't made it by now, you aren't going to, but it doesn't matter. Soon, if you can get three meals a day and put a little gas in your car, you'll be among the "haves" in this country.
I work for a software company that makes software for big financial institutions. It is mind-boggling to me how many jobs go unfilled because of people simply not knowing about them, and how poorly colleges train for the financial field.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:03 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I work for a software company that makes software for big financial institutions. It is mind-boggling to me how many jobs go unfilled because of people simply not knowing about them, and how poorly colleges train for the financial field.
And if those companies had money, they would be training their own coders and partnering with the colleges, as (name slips my mind) just tried to do with Ivy Tech over by you. But the truth is a lot of those jobs don't exist, except on paper. It boggles my mind how some of these companies are meeting payroll.

Not all. But I'm watching Chase starting to implode from a safe distance away. Wells Fargo is next.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Well post 2008 frankly there are less people that want to work in finance. Who bailed who out again

You can blame colleges all you want but frankly how many companies really have training plans these days? Between outsourcing and automation and now retirements it is a skeleton crew.

If your product is so specific the utility of it frankly is limited in scope. There are two major medical software companies in the US. If you work for either one you have nowhere else to go except the other or to a hospital that might use what you learned. To learn either one is next to impossible unless you already work in the medical industry or those companies. I've seen the same with software geared to non profits and companies.

If it isn't a off the shelf product it is much harder to justify especially when open source exists.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 AM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
As institutions of higher learning, colleges were not originally intended to provide job training. Companies were responsible for their own personnel in the past. Somehow, this responsibility has been increasingly pushed toward schools over the last few decades.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think after you're out of school for a year or two without working in your field, the difficulty of finding something in your field increases with each year that goes by.

It's hard enough for recent grads to get jobs because entry level positions require experience, so add years to the mix and it's going to be even tougher.

Having said that, I believe it's possible to find someone in a small company who would be willing to give that person a break. It would take time and hustle, but I have to believe it could happen.

I agree with this. Also as stated earlier once you hit that dreaded "long term unemployed" you are almost a pariah to most employers. Be prepared to explain any gaps and "how can i get a job if everyone wants experience, yet how can i get experience if no one will hire me in the first place" excuse does not fly.

Here is the main issue I find:

1) You where told stories or you know people who have unrelated degrees and are working in completely unrelated fields and are making decent/good money. You have the cousin, the uncle, the older friend etc... who graduated with an Anthropology degree and somehow got a job working in Accounts payable. Now you graduate with the Anthropology degree, you apply for an entry level Accounts payable position and you find out that you cannot even get an interview. So what happened? What is the key difference now that years ago your cousin could land a good job with an unrelated degree, yet you cannot do the same? This probably explains why now at least at my former school that the most popular major was some discipline of business (Accounting, supply chain, finance etc...).

So now you with the Anthropology degree you are left applying to the retail/minimum wage stuff and hoping that experience gained will be enough to land that "real job". All the while bearing in mind that most "entry level" jobs want 2-3 years experience and prefer a degree in X.

Now I do not want to say it is all doom and gloom and if you did not major in a "real" subject then you are screwed. Just bear in mind the job hunt will probably be harder

Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I suppose it all depends on how driven you are. Ideally you should get excellent grades in high school, get fully paid scholarship for a STEM degree, network and intern and land a job straight out of college.

Getting a 2 year degree in psychology from community college and slacking off like so many of my friends do just isn't going to cut in in this cut-throat job market.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
We get a lot of posts on this board where the person is out of college or high school awhile and has just puttered around from one minimum wage job to the next, often with stints of unemployment. Many of these people are getting older, mid-late 20s, and have likely "aged out" of traditional first jobs like fast food and college internships, yet don't have the skills or experience to compete with their peers in the labor market.

Would you say there is a point of no return where turning around a failed career is essentially hopeless?
Nope. I work with a guy that failed out of college at 18, worked as a meat cutter in a grocery store for 14 years and then decided to go back to school. Got his BA and MBA and now works in a corporate setting making 6 figures.

I don't think there is a point where you can't turn it around.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Nope. I work with a guy that failed out of college at 18, worked as a meat cutter in a grocery store for 14 years and then decided to go back to school. Got his BA and MBA and now works in a corporate setting making 6 figures.

I don't think there is a point where you can't turn it around.

If you reach a point where you can't afford to go back to school, that's when you probably can't turn it around.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Are you wanting to be a software engineer or what exactly are you wanting to do? What is your failed career exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment