Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 04:13 AM

85 posts, read 120,982 times

Advertisements

My first post in C-D! I've lurked the forums for a few months, but every time I use Google, I almost always end up here eventually lol. Figured I should finally make an account.

Background about me:

I'm a 24 year old woman. I go to a state university in Southern California. This is my seventh and last year (!!!) in college. I used to be a mathematics major, but decided it wasn't for me just before taking advanced calculus. I originally wanted to become a high school math teacher. My current overall GPA is 2.6. It's that low because I took high-level math courses (and repeated them, I was very stubborn) for five whole years. I know I definitely don't have the GPA to make it in public accounting, that's for sure.

I'm a Business Administration major with a Concentration in Accounting. Besides taking classes full-time, I work part-time as an accounting assistant for a mid-sized local law firm. I've been working there for about five months now (working in A/R, A/P, and starting audit training on Monday). I also worked for two years as an accounting clerk for a car wash business from 2009 - 2011, so by the time I graduate in May, I will have three years experience in accounting. This is assuming I'm still working at the law firm by then, of course.

I also have two years experience working with Microsoft Excel (coinciding with my two years for the car wash), and by the time I graduate, that'll make it three years. I'm taking my third class in Information Systems (taking three IS courses is required for Accounting majors at my college), and I've found I enjoy IS immensely. I really do like accounting as well, but I'm leaning towards working in private/non-profit/government accounting.

I even use Excel in my personal life. I keep track of all of my daily expenses and calculate the total amount for that month. When I have enough data, I make line and bar graphs to see how my personal spending has been for 3 months, 6 months, and the year. I also look at and analyze the general behavior of my line and bar graphs. I've been doing this for... two or three years now? It's very handy to compile all of that information.

Yeah, I know, that's not normal. But I think it's fun.

Overall, by the time May comes around, I will have 6 years of working experience in general, with specific accounting/IS experience mentioned above. I've been working since I was 19, and I don't have any unemployment gaps as of now. When I graduate, I will also be CPA eligible. I plan on taking the CMA as well. As for certs in IS, I'm still researching on what to take. I plan on talking to my current and previous IS professors and asking for their opinions sometime this week or next week.

In terms of networking and contacts, my younger sister is a professional athlete, my older sister works for a Korean bank with offices around the country, and my stepmother works for a major airline. All in all, they know people. For privacy reasons, I'd prefer not to state who my younger sister is.

I can't join Beta Alpha Psi at my college because of my GPA, and I can never make it to any Accounting Society events because the times and days always clash with the times and days I have classes and work. So I have bad luck there. But I am planning to reach out to my professors.

I would prefer moving out of state (very preferably up north in OR/WA since my early childhood was spent in the Beaverton area and I have some relatives/friends there), but if I have to, I wouldn't mind staying in CA.

Do I have enough experience? Will I be considered good enough? From what I've read on the forums and read in the news, it seems that entry-level jobs demand a few years' worth of experience and you have to be a CPA/be eligible and you need to know someone and all that.

I have 22k in student loans. That's not a whole lot, but still. I would hate to be unemployed and not be able to pay that money back.

Am I doing enough???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 04:27 AM

154 posts, read 307,216 times
You need to be actively networking, not relying on family connections. I don't care who your sister is; two sisters and one mother as your entire "professional network" is insufficient. You need to be networking with peers, recent graduates, senior associates and managers of firms for whom you would like to work, etc. The firms I have spoken to have advised me that recruiting for spring 2016 will begin in the fall/winter of 2015. Go to career fairs, go on informational interviews. Put yourself out there.

Make sure you include that you will graduate from undergrad CPA-eligible in your resume. If you're interested in taking a review class, get started now, and use your contacts there (many of the students will be working full-time for national, regional, and local firms while taking the review classes) to get a few additional introductions / contacts.

Additionally, re. moving - are you sure you will be eligible to sit for the CPA in the states you listed (OR, WA)? I think CA has pretty simple educational requirements compared to most states, so definitely double and triple check that. See if you can find a firm directory in those states and reach out -- set up a trip to your area of interest and schedule as many informational interviews as you can.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
You need to be actively networking, not relying on family connections. I don't care who your sister is; two sisters and one mother as your entire "professional network" is insufficient. You need to be networking with peers, recent graduates, senior associates and managers of firms for whom you would like to work, etc. The firms I have spoken to have advised me that recruiting for spring 2016 will begin in the fall/winter of 2015. Go to career fairs, go on informational interviews. Put yourself out there.

Make sure you include that you will graduate from undergrad CPA-eligible in your resume. If you're interested in taking a review class, get started now, and use your contacts there (many of the students will be working full-time for national, regional, and local firms while taking the review classes) to get a few additional introductions / contacts.

Additionally, re. moving - are you sure you will be eligible to sit for the CPA in the states you listed (OR, WA)? I think CA has pretty simple educational requirements compared to most states, so definitely double and triple check that. See if you can find a firm directory in those states and reach out -- set up a trip to your area of interest and schedule as many informational interviews as you can.

Good luck!
I see what you're saying about the networking. I'm just not sure how to go about that? I have a more personal connection with people my relatives know and who know me, so I thought that would make a more lasting impression? I forgot to mention my coworkers and my bosses as well, but I'm sure you probably were talking about them too.

The accounting career fairs/recruiting events are all during the times I work or have class. For example, the accounting expo is next Wednesday during the hours I work (8 - 5 pm). I don't know if I can justify skipping class. I know my professors will not accept recruiting season as an excuse to miss class, and I certainly don't think my bosses will let me have a day off to attend such events. But you're definitely right.

I'll research about taking a review class. Hopefully, I can take it online or in the evenings after work and classes are done.

I'm still researching and comparing CA/WA/OR CPA requirements, but it seems so far California is actually tougher compared to WA and OR in terms of the educational requirements and the public accounting working experience requirements.

Thank you for the advice and brutal honesty! Truly helpful.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 PM

154 posts, read 307,216 times
Well, yeah -- your mom and sister and, say, 10 colleagues/bosses know you better than folks you have informational interviews / coffee / etc with will, but would you rather have 12 people who REALLY love you keeping an eye out for you and pushing your resume along, or would you rather have 100 people who kinda-sorta-know you doing the same? You never know where a job lead will come from; it's a numbers game. The other thing is, personally, as a professional, I disregard applicants who are referred by their mom or sister or other relative. I don't trust an individual's mom/sister/aunt/cousin to be objective about said individual's abilities. That might be unfair, but I bet I'm not the only person who thinks this way.

Oh, and taking an exam review class online is not going to allow for any networking. You might get a couple of people in the class who are interested in networking, but again -- it's a numbers game. If you're physically in class with other people, you can talk to them. You can make eye contact, read body language. Trying to network in an online class is akin to trying to network via cold calling or cold e-mailing.

I take days / hours off for networking events when necessary. I am a nontraditional student, graduating in 2016 and working FT, and while I love my job, I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I were more loyal to my job than to my own future. KWIM? If I had an exam scheduled the same day as a networking event, I'd probably have to skip the event. But if it was just a regular class and my professor allowed one free absence (as most profs do), I'd use that. That's just me. If you're not comfortable with that, then contact your local CPA society and see whether they can help you find a mentor. Search for firms online and cold call, and ask for an informational interview.

Good luck!!

PS - I apologize if I come across as harsh or blunt. It's just that I see SO MUCH of myself in you -- myself 6 months ago, a year ago, 4 years ago, 7 years ago. I passed up A LOT of opportunities to please my past employers, and really, I've gotten very little for all of my sacrifices and loyalty. But in the past 6 months, I've made a commitment to take more risks (career-wise), say YES (YES to networking events, YES to coffee, YES to joining various CPA societies, and so on, even when I'm drop-dead tired at the end of a 14+ hour day), and put my career progression first, and the results have been unbelievably amazing so far.... and I am kicking myself, wishing I started doing this 7+ years ago. So, I apologize blunt-ness is not my intention!

Last edited by patsfanboston; 09-13-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 04:29 PM

344 posts, read 415,653 times
This may not be of much value because of how long ago it was but I will throw it out there for you. I graduated in 1990 with a BS in BA with a major in Accounting. I was also CPA eligible and 27 years old with no previous accounting work related experience but a continuous work history since 15 years of age. This was in Richmond, VA. Because of a relationship I was in at the time I decided I would remain in Richmond and through the normal on campus interview process obtained 2 fair offers for entry level accounting jobs and started working at one of them the Monday after my last class was completed. Six months later the relationship ended and I decided to move to Atlanta where I had family I could stay with, the country was in a recession, there was no internet, and by using the help wanted ads in the back of the newspaper I was able to line up several interviews in short order, received several offers and took a job with the company I still work for. My point is I think you will look OK on paper and should do well in the entry level area of the market in any large city. (Portland, where I happen to be now may not be that city, we were hit especially hard by the great recession). Nobody ever asked me what my GPA was. Recalculate your GPA and take out the stuff not required for your current degree and use that number if asked. Have an explanation ready that you recalculated it to remove the math classes from a road you started down but lost enthusiasm for. Good luck! The reward for a major in Accounting is a job that requires lots and lots of hours of work! I hope you like coffee!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
Well, yeah -- your mom and sister and, say, 10 colleagues/bosses know you better than folks you have informational interviews / coffee / etc with will, but would you rather have 12 people who REALLY love you keeping an eye out for you and pushing your resume along, or would you rather have 100 people who kinda-sorta-know you doing the same? You never know where a job lead will come from; it's a numbers game. The other thing is, personally, as a professional, I disregard applicants who are referred by their mom or sister or other relative. I don't trust an individual's mom/sister/aunt/cousin to be objective about said individual's abilities. That might be unfair, but I bet I'm not the only person who thinks this way.

Oh, and taking an exam review class online is not going to allow for any networking. You might get a couple of people in the class who are interested in networking, but again -- it's a numbers game. If you're physically in class with other people, you can talk to them. You can make eye contact, read body language. Trying to network in an online class is akin to trying to network via cold calling or cold e-mailing.

I take days / hours off for networking events when necessary. I am a nontraditional student, graduating in 2016 and working FT, and while I love my job, I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I were more loyal to my job than to my own future. KWIM? If I had an exam scheduled the same day as a networking event, I'd probably have to skip the event. But if it was just a regular class and my professor allowed one free absence (as most profs do), I'd use that. That's just me. If you're not comfortable with that, then contact your local CPA society and see whether they can help you find a mentor. Search for firms online and cold call, and ask for an informational interview.

Good luck!!

PS - I apologize if I come across as harsh or blunt. It's just that I see SO MUCH of myself in you -- myself 6 months ago, a year ago, 4 years ago, 7 years ago. I passed up A LOT of opportunities to please my past employers, and really, I've gotten very little for all of my sacrifices and loyalty. But in the past 6 months, I've made a commitment to take more risks (career-wise), say YES (YES to networking events, YES to coffee, YES to joining various CPA societies, and so on, even when I'm drop-dead tired at the end of a 14+ hour day), and put my career progression first, and the results have been unbelievably amazing so far.... and I am kicking myself, wishing I started doing this 7+ years ago. So, I apologize blunt-ness is not my intention!
No, not at all! It's so refreshing to get an advice from an everyday working person instead of my school's career center. It's all just "DO LINKEDIN and PUBLIC ACCOUNTING!!!" and nothing else. There's really nothing about thinking ahead of your career path, you know? It's pretty much just "Get into public accounting and the rest will take care of itself". No one talks about taking care of your career/yourself, only how to start it.

So really, thank you. I'd rather someone be blunt and honest about what I should be doing and thinking about instead of sugar coating words, like my college does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
This may not be of much value because of how long ago it was but I will throw it out there for you. I graduated in 1990 with a BS in BA with a major in Accounting. I was also CPA eligible and 27 years old with no previous accounting work related experience but a continuous work history since 15 years of age. This was in Richmond, VA. Because of a relationship I was in at the time I decided I would remain in Richmond and through the normal on campus interview process obtained 2 fair offers for entry level accounting jobs and started working at one of them the Monday after my last class was completed. Six months later the relationship ended and I decided to move to Atlanta where I had family I could stay with, the country was in a recession, there was no internet, and by using the help wanted ads in the back of the newspaper I was able to line up several interviews in short order, received several offers and took a job with the company I still work for. My point is I think you will look OK on paper and should do well in the entry level area of the market in any large city. (Portland, where I happen to be now may not be that city, we were hit especially hard by the great recession). Nobody ever asked me what my GPA was. Recalculate your GPA and take out the stuff not required for your current degree and use that number if asked. Have an explanation ready that you recalculated it to remove the math classes from a road you started down but lost enthusiasm for. Good luck! The reward for a major in Accounting is a job that requires lots and lots of hours of work! I hope you like coffee!
It may be because I'm just an accounting assistant, but the day flies by when I'm working. My bosses have to convince me to leave the office in time before they lock the doors at the end of the day.

lol I'm trying not to drink too much coffee. Thank you about the GPA advice though, will definitely try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment