Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:47 PM

388 posts, read 535,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungYeezy View Post
You provided no context for this information, so I assumed you just didn't have faith in one of your daughters. Don't guilt trip me when I was only acting on what you provided.
Agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM

388 posts, read 535,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La'Quesha View Post
That's exactly where you screwed up. Maybe next time you'll keep your assumptions to yourself.
On an anonymous message board full of strangers trading thoughts and feedback, assumptions are and will ALWAYS present. Don't kid yourself.

It's up to the poster to include any or all relevant and supporting information in order to provide a more accurate scenario/depiction.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Kudos, OP, for proactively taking responsibility for successfully guiding your kids. That interest will guide you towards helping both of them, no matter how different their ceilings may appear as of now.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Kudos, OP, for proactively taking responsibility for successfully guiding your kids. That interest will guide you towards helping both of them, no matter how different their ceilings may appear as of now.
Thank you.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have a cousin who didn't go to college, worked for a hair salon for a while, and now has her own shop.

She's pretty middle class.

Obviously cutting hair might not be the answer, but there are other avenues besides college that can lead to a middle class lifestyle (or even wealthy if you run a successful business).

its real easy to share whats on the surface....why don't you share the full story (What year did she own the shop, how long did she own the shop, how long was she working at previous shop, how did she get the money...trust fund, loan, husband/boyfriend)

On outside things may look great.....who knows her struggles/sacrifices it took for her to own the shop

its just too easy to tell us the good

Old 09-14-2014, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 10,024 times
Dont assume the "iffy" one isnt college material. If you had asked my parents up until I was in my senior year high school they would have said the same thing. But in a matter of a year I changed quite drastically, ended up gong to very prestigious top college and completed an undergrad, then in my adulthood ended up completing 2 more degrees, and have a really great career. If you had told my parents or even my teachers the likelihood of that occurring they would have said there was no way that would be my future.

And there are people I grew up with who seemed on the track for top colleges, top grades, top students, that ended up doing a complete 180 and didnt finish any school, did real poorly as adults and ended up struggling with life and work.

So as you can see, never assume you can see the path someone may or may not take growing up. Life is funny that way. People change, attitudes and behaviors change.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Actually...only 3% of graduates have debt of $100,000, and they usually went to med school or law school.

It's good news, but for some very strange reason, a lot of people would rather not believe it.

Average student loan debt is around the amount of a used car - 20-30k or so.
The poster quoted Pennsylvania not national averages. National averages includes that as well as other states with much lower options for school.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
More propaganda by the media machine. I want schools to start teaching self sustainability, teach people how to think for themselves and how to make a living on their own. Schools being K12. Teach them proper social skills and how to sell themselves. Do you want me to go to company a - z website and pull job requirements? There is a lot of jobs dropping the degree requirement because it really is asinine.

Get a degree and work for a big corporation. That's all this is saying.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
More propaganda by the media machine. I want schools to start teaching self sustainability, teach people how to think for themselves and how to make a living on their own. Schools being K12. Teach them proper social skills and how to sell themselves. Do you want me to go to company a - z website and pull job requirements? There is a lot of jobs dropping the degree requirement because it really is asinine.

Get a degree and work for a big corporation. That's all this is saying.
I would give you rep if I could, I do notice how hard people are pushing everybody to go to college so that they can be taught to be good little corporate employees. Our high schools need an over haul, and badly, teach people at least the basics on surviving in the real world instead of getting them ready for more education.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I would give you rep if I could, I do notice how hard people are pushing everybody to go to college so that they can be taught to be good little corporate employees. Our high schools need an over haul, and badly, teach people at least the basics on surviving in the real world instead of getting them ready for more education.
You did, it's just city-data is broke and the people programming this website don't know how to do it right. C-D is the only website I think of being held by virtual duct tape and bailing wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment