Originally Posted by windchime
Has anyone left the career of teaching? How long did you teach for? What was your reason for leaving and what did you do instead of teaching?
I was a high school math teacher. I was there for 18 years. I left for several reasons. I will be honest here so if you are reading this and don't like honesty don't read it. Speaking from MY experience:
1) NCLB act is just plain stupid. There will ALWAYS be some that are not capable of learning something. I have a knack for math and english. I just can't comprehend some of the sciences.
2) Unfortunately SOME of the kids and their parents just don't care.
3) I hated that I couldn't fail a student that didn't do any (I mean NOTHING) work or tests. If I could have graded them for sleeping they would have gotten an A
4) I got tired of being a babysitter and/or a parent.
5) I got tired of being a referee.
6) I got tired of parents that though that "Johnny" was perfect and could do no wrong. (Johnny sold pot in the bathroom.)
7) I got tired of teaching with younger teachers that were no where near as educated as some in my generation.
8) Just plain worn out from little pay (42000 for a degree and 18 years) and no recognition.
9) No respect from the kids and their parents.
10) IEPs and 504s........... enough said?
I could go on but, you get the drift.