Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,893,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I heard someone else say it better and more accurately when he said, "the customer is not always right, but he is always the customer."
That is exactly what I told my employees when I was a manager and it's the simple truth. Working with the public you have to have a thick skin and a good sense of humor to survive. Most customers are really pretty good and the ones that aren't can be a surprise/shock but you learn to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,722,303 times
I think it came about once companies noticed they had competition from other businesses and they used it as a means to separate themselves from everyone else.

I agree that the business should have some say in how it operates their business, and most will do just that. Example, kick out drunkards and rude customers. Say someone came into your store swearing at you, I doubt anyone would bend-over backwards for that person.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:15 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,286,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I don't understand how are culture is founded on freedom but when it comes to work we are suppose to bend over to customers or bosses even when they are wrong. It just brings stress to the employee and creates a negative environment. Why did American companies adopted this if its employees suffer the most and customers know that they can take advantage of the situation?
Wow..I hope you don't ever decide to start a business sheesh

Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM

639 posts, read 1,961,725 times
The problem is it trains customers to throw a fit to get special treatment. Scream and cuss, and you are rewarded with a gift card, or being able to cut the long line. And when other customers see these people getting special treatment, they start getting mad too. It's this time of year, Sept-Jan, when the customers are the most angry. I got yelled at yesterday by 2 customers for no reason. A manager overheard one incident and told me there was nothing I could have done. The other, I managed to turn around and the customer left very happy (but I hadn't done what she accused me of in the first place ).

Many, many people threaten to never shop there again, and it is almost always an empty threat. If we had more realistic policies towards customers, we would still retain 99% of their business without having to deal with most of the bad behavior.

Another thing is these policies favor giant corporations. They can afford to replace every dropped ice cream cone, or to let people return anything, anytime, without a receipt. Small companies can't compete with that.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:41 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
The problem is it trains customers to throw a fit to get special treatment. Scream and cuss, and you are rewarded with a gift card, or being able to cut the long line. And when other customers see these people getting special treatment, they start getting mad too. It's this time of year, Sept-Jan, when the customers are the most angry. I got yelled at yesterday by 2 customers for no reason. A manager overheard one incident and told me there was nothing I could have done. The other, I managed to turn around and the customer left very happy (but I hadn't done what she accused me of in the first place ).

Many, many people threaten to never shop there again, and it is almost always an empty threat. If we had more realistic policies towards customers, we would still retain 99% of their business without having to deal with most of the bad behavior.

Another thing is these policies favor giant corporations. They can afford to replace every dropped ice cream cone, or to let people return anything, anytime, without a receipt. Small companies can't compete with that.
Agree entirely with this post. +1

Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 AM

13,625 posts, read 9,679,486 times
Our society is based on the ethic and idiom of commerce. Every relationship is ultimately commercial, every relationship is based on reciprocity of exchange and the angling for obtaining something for one's investment. Bourgeois politeness isn’t about being a lady or a gentleman, but about endearing oneself to one's interlocutor, to secure the deal, to solicit favor, to earn good-graces and status. In a centralized economy where retail establishments are limited, goods are in short supply, and there is no profit-motive, employees can and do ignore customers, treating them curtly and dismissively. In a monopoly situation in a market-economy, where again the customer has paltry options, much the same happens; witness for example the cable company or the local electric utility. But even in an idyllic and open free-market with good competition and good options, imagine what happens to customers with no money and no capacity to make a purchase. Would they be treated well, or peremptorily shooed out of the store?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM
MJ7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Vnp9AUuIs

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM

7,919 posts, read 7,794,116 times
"The problem is it trains customers to throw a fit to get special treatment. "

that's at least part of it. Where I was if a complaint was valid they'd get $100 gift certificate. BUT a complaint could be enough to cause a bonus to be denied. In that case it can cause management to bend rules and shell out their own personal finance to hush them up. Picture standardized test scores/rearwards but for companies.

Some of it is outright cultish. I worked with some that had experience at circuit city. Supposedly their awards night had employees go to some Opera house where it was filled with actors/actresses as an audience applauding those getting rewards.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM

1,274 posts, read 977,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I don't understand how are culture is founded on freedom but when it comes to work we are suppose to bend over to customers or bosses even when they are wrong. It just brings stress to the employee and creates a negative environment. Why did American companies adopted this if its employees suffer the most and customers know that they can take advantage of the situation?
Simply because when they stop buying from you, your cash flows go down and you're out of business... So you do not need to bend over customers but you would need to find reasons to not do and still expect their cash flows.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,653,072 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment