Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 PM

97 posts, read 152,438 times

Advertisements

The main reason why people get useless degrees is because the curriculum is easy and basically a joke. The fact of the matter is that not everyone has the intellectual capability and commitment to get a degree in engineering, accounting, or computer science.

Common graduate programs that people with useless degrees tend to purse is JD, PsyD, MBA, Master in useless subject.

If you have a useless degree and don't want to do sales, what are your options at a good paying white collar job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
You know what they say

"Life isn't fair"

However I will agree that too many people pursue worthless degrees and act shocked when the real world let's them know that the skills they spent $50k a year to obtain is nowhere near marketable.

The only feasible option is to transition into a career field that not only is in-demand by employers, but one where college can often be substituted for certifications or work experience. IT is one example. Skilled trades is another, but I won't recommend it since it's not white collar.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
There must be a million threads on STEM degrees vs. 'useless' liberal arts, psychology, degrees.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
There are no useless degrees.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
A bachelors is the new HS diploma today. People flock out to the colleges to get soft degrees just so they have something to check off on the job application.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A bachelors is the new HS diploma today. People flock out to the colleges to get soft degrees just so they have something to check off on the job application.
Nonsense. This is not true for all bachelors degrees. Sure, if you get a bachelors degree from a diploma mill like Penn State University, that pumps out thousands of uneducated graduates every year, sure. However, bachelors degree from a decent university program will take you much farther than a HS diploma.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
I had to take some non-stem classes as part of the distribution requirements of my mathematics degree. The quality of the students in the non-stem classes and the ones in my degree-related classes was night and day. Some things I noticed: The non-stem students rarely showed up to class on-time, if ever at all. They moaned and complained whenever faced with a larger than expected workload. They chatted and interrupted the professor in the middle of lecture. The worst part was the instructors seemed to encourage it (I'll never forget the anthropology professor who spent fifteen minutes ranting about how capitalism was terrible and that we shouldn't aspire to have corporate jobs). For the record, I never saw any of these types of behaviors exhibited by the students in the mathematics curriculum.

So not only were these non-stem disciplines providing their students with useless degrees, they were also nurturing and implanting horrible behavioral traits. Congratulations student: You have graduated with an impractical degree and a behavioral disposition of such a rotten nature so as to be wholly incompatible with the workplace.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I had to take some non-stem classes as part of the distribution requirements of my mathematics degree. The quality of the students in the non-stem classes and the ones in my degree-related classes was night and day. Some things I noticed: The non-stem students rarely showed up to class on-time, if ever at all. They moaned and complained whenever faced with a larger than expected workload. They chatted and interrupted the professor in the middle of lecture. The worst part was the instructors seemed to encourage it (I'll never forget the anthropology professor who spent fifteen minutes ranting about how capitalism was terrible and that we shouldn't aspire to have corporate jobs). For the record, I never saw any of these types of behaviors exhibited by the students in the mathematics curriculum.

So not only were these non-stem disciplines providing their students with useless degrees, they were also nurturing and implanting horrible behavioral traits. Congratulations student: You have graduated with an impractical degree and a behavioral disposition of such a rotten nature so as to be wholly incompatible with the workplace.
ok..... it was the same in my chemistry and biology classes. 20 somethings not knowing when to shut the f up.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Not everyone is smart enough, eh...?

You know, they did this study where they had these people take IQ tests (for the study)...and the people pretty much did as predicted. IQ group of 79-ish did 79-ish, 99 did 99-ish, and high group did high.

Then they told them that the better they did, they would get some treat or reward...I forget what it was...

Anyway, suddenly, the 79 group scored in the 90s.

Which tells you something about IQ tests and motivation and what really creates/perpetuates ability.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 AM

26 posts, read 40,918 times
I tried having a major in Accounting when I was in college and after two courses that were so boring and incredibly complex, I dropped my plan for a degree in Accounting. I had also looked into a degree in one of the STEM areas but just looking at the text books in the bookstore put me to sleep. I could not picture myself reading those books for 8 hours a day so I could get a marketable major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment