Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 AM

576 posts, read 988,954 times

Advertisements

I work for a huge F500 company. We do an EOS annually.

This year, I've never seen this happen before, the results of the survey showed some discontent in a number of areas.

Management then held meetings with all of us worker drones, to determine and drill down on what precisely, of the issues, that scored poorly, what are the precise issues, and then an action plan to address some of those issues.

Has anybody ever seen this before? Does it matter in the end?

When you work for a huge company, sometimes it feels like there are thousands of left hands that don't know what the thousands of right hands are doing.

One of the items they scored poorly on, there are decisions made by higher ups that effect the daily processes of us worker drones. Mostly there is never any explanation, and mostly, these decisions, don't make a lot of sense, and cause problems. There is never any follow through as to the why's, and what can be done to change it, and so forth.

That, was one of the issues covered, and an action plan said to be put into place, as to follow through.

Anybody ever seen this before?

It almost makes me "hopeful" and I sure wouldn't want my hopes to be dashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,977,124 times
They did this at my last job. In fact, I think they do it every year. And no, it made no difference whatsoever. The results were even made public and mentioned in the newspaper, but it changed nothing. Just lip service.

The entertaining part is watching the people responsible act surprised at the results and pretend to give a crap.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,802,611 times
My former employer, an F500 company, had lousy BES results in 2011 and 2012. In each of those years, senior management dismissed the areas of weakness as simply being "beyond their control". Then in 2013, they changed the test provider. The substance of the questions did not change, only in some cases the way the questions were asked. Again in 2013, the results were lousy but then management said it was "tough to draw conclusions" since the test had only just been changed - like the employees were not smart enough to see through the results.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,835,048 times
I work in senior leadership for an F100. I can tell you that our annual survey is taken very seriously.

Is that the same everywhere? No, but your situation does sound hopeful.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,061 posts, read 80,100,596 times
We are only about 2,000 employees, but had one of those surveys that revealed a lot of problems in communication between departments. Many steps were taken to work on it, and 3 years later another survey indicate the same major issue, though not quite as bad. I would think that in any organization some problems are going to exist and be hard to eliminate, more so for bigger companies.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,468,871 times
If your management was not taking it seriously, they would have deleted the results and not given it a second thought. The fact that they're digging deeper shows they are taking it very seriously.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM

576 posts, read 988,954 times
I've seen them, one time in the six years I've been there, report the results, but no further solicitation of opinion was sought, nor was there any discussion of implementing anything to address anything mentioned.

This time, there were several meetings, where the rank and file got to speak up a little more (surveys can be so vague), and elaborate on what were the specific issues. What might the rank and file like to see improved, and how.

I found it interesting, if not a little bit hopeful.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,885,062 times
Saw it at a large international F500 size corp. Pure lip service, despite execs crowing that it mattered.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:03 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,817,158 times
We do those where I work. Nobody believes they are anonymous since we do them on our work computers and we are each assigned a special code to take the surveys, so most people just give "5"s for everything.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,885,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
We do those where I work. Nobody believes they are anonymous since we do them on our work computers and we are each assigned a special code to take the surveys, so most people just give "5"s for everything.

The Hussein election M.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment