Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:25 PM

659 posts, read 940,658 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is why my professor left IBM and decided to teach business at my college lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Please, no one who works at IBM is going to go hungry at night over a temporary 10% pay cut. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that some people will not be able to survive half a year with 10% less pay and that they will quit instead.

They should have kept up with their training, now they are paying the price. Seems fine by me. If you make it you get your old pay back, if you can't hack it you are out. Performance based compensation. If anything we need more of that.
It really affects whether quality candidates will apply in the future or not.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
the quality employees are not the ones getting the slight cut, the people getting the cut cannot pass their tests and have fallen behind on technology, that is not a quality employee.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM

310 posts, read 686,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
There is no dead wood at IBM anymore.
You have to at least make reasonable statements when trying to defend your position. IBM as a whole employs 400,000+ people. There is dead wood.

You can walk into any professional setting anywhere in the world and you will find dead wood if there the workforce is large enough. It's simple statistics. Any large enough group of people will have underperformers who for one reason or another haven't been separated yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
That's one way to look at it for sure.
Another way is that those who are top performers are happy that finally someone does something about the people who are sloths.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
You have no idea what is going on at IBM. If you did you would realize exactly what a load that statement is. There is no dead wood at IBM anymore. They've been hacking and slashing for over a decade. Trust me, if these people were dead wood they would have been out the door years ago. This is a company that has been pulling a smoke and mirrors game with Wall Street for years and it is now starting to bite them. They finally came to the realization that they can't cut more people and they can't sell off divisions without seriously compromising their remaining business(not that it already hasn't been). This is nothing more than a desperate attempt to by IBM to buy themselves another good quarter or two before the IT hits the fan.

(No, I do not work for IBM and I never have. I do however work very closely with them, often on a daily basis)

You are correct, I don't know what's going on at IBM, but per the article YOU posted (did you read it?) the employees selected were no longer current in their feild. In a technolodgy company that's a BIG problem!

IBM offered them a 20% reduction in work time and a 10% reduction in pay for a specified period of time to get their skills up to speed. This sounds a lot like a bad performance rating, with a chance for the employee to correct the deficiency.

Still don't see IBM as the villian here. A job (especially at a fortune 500) is earned and retained by performance. It's not a life time award/reward.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
[quote=RarelyRelocating;36523320]You have to at least make reasonable statements when trying to defend your position. IBM as a whole employs 400,000+ people. There is dead wood.

You can walk into any professional setting anywhere in the world and you will find dead wood if there the workforce is large enough. It's simple statistics. Any large enough group of people will have underperformers who for one reason or another haven't been separated yet.
/QUOTE]

400k world-wide. Guess what, IBM isn't cutting in India, China, and Brazil. The US once had over 250k employees. That numbers is now likely down below 85k. State-side they've been cutting 10-15% a year for over a decade.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
[quote=Velvet Jones;36523464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
400k world-wide. Guess what, IBM isn't cutting in India, China, and Brazil. The US once had over 250k employees. That numbers is now likely down below 85k. State-side they've been cutting 10-15% a year for over a decade.
So IBM is expanding employment in growing product markets, and maintaining or contracting employment in mature/declining product markets.

Seems reasonable to me, but I just have an MBA and have managed large organizations for the last 25 years. Maybe things have changed since I moved into consulting 2 years ago.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM

310 posts, read 686,015 times
Quote:
Just to confirm, your argument is that there is no dead wood among 80k people (give or take a few k)?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,036 times
I'll try to be as impartial as possible:

- There was still deadwood at IBM when I left, in 2009. Talking to my friends and ex-colleagues in the company today, some deadwood does exist, although in far smaller numbers than before. Most of the deadwood that my friends know about happens to be in management; lots of technical managers in IBM wouldn't be able to code their way out of a paper bag.

- IBM has been laying off people in China, India and Brazil too.

- The education requirement/pay cut is perfectly reasonable, if fairly applied. There are no details yet, but if management unilaterally decides that John Doe needs to pick up some skills in CAMSS (or SCAMS) without John's input or some kind of objective assessment, then it is not reasonable. It'd be like me saying to RarelyRelocating "Sir, your skills in written Sanskrit are deficient, you need to beef them up and BTW we'll cut your pay by 10% while you do so." But what if your job does not require you to write Sanskrit? So everything hinges on how the deficiency is identified. Knowing IBM, first-line managers will be given a list of employee names and told to "have the talk" with those folks (that was how it was done when I was in IBM management). In the next few days I'll try to have lunch with my IBM ex-colleagues and let you know how the measure is implemented. Stay tuned.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
[quote=Tuck's Dad;36523671]
Quote:

So IBM is expanding employment in growing product markets, and maintaining or contracting employment in mature/declining product markets.

Seems reasonable to me, but I just have an MBA and have managed large organizations for the last 25 years. Maybe things have changed since I moved into consulting 2 years ago.
It isn't a secret. IBM is on the skids and has been for years (especially since 2000). At one time they were THE place to work, which is no longer true. But now it is a company to avoid. Smoke and mirrors are all thats keeping it going.

People defending its practices think of it as the company of old, it isn't that and hasn't been for many years. It is dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment