Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had an interview with the county I live in for the position of temporary election clerk (it has the potential to go to permanent... it wasn't through an agency, but the county itself) and the interview went REALLY well. The woman that interviewed me didn't give me a card with contact information, but I want to send her (and the two other women that interviewed me) a thank you card. I have a blank thank you card with cherry blossoms on the front (it's a very simple card) and I was going to write:

Dear X,

Thank you for inviting me in for an interview on Monday, September 15 and taking the time to interview me. I look forward to hearing from you about the position of the temporary election clerk.

Sincerely,
Jessica

Would that be okay? Would a card be professional? Does the note sound okay as well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
blank thank you card with cherry blossoms on the front = say what?? If you want to be taken seriously i would choose another card. Why don't you send a thank you email?

You might want to re-state your interest in the role and how you are the perfect candidate for it. Whatever, you do DON"T STOP INTERVIEWING. Until you get the job contract, you don't have it.

Dear X,

Thank you taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me. I genuinely enjoyed our discussion about the role. Our conversation confirmed my interest in becoming part of the X team.

I sincerely believe that my blank years of X ranging from X would enable me to make a smooth transition and add real value to the X team. (in this paragraph, state the skills and experience you have that would relate to the job that you are applying for)

I look forward to hearing from you about the position of the temporary election clerk.

Sincerely,
Jessica

Old 09-16-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
blank thank you card with cherry blossoms on the front = say what?? If you want to be taken seriously i would choose another card. Why don't you send a thank you email?

You might want to re-state your interest in the role and how you are the perfect candidate for it. Whatever, you do DON"T STOP INTERVIEWING. Until you get the job contract, you don't have it.

Dear X,

Thank you taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me. I genuinely enjoyed our discussion about the role. Our conversation confirmed my interest in becoming part of the X team.

I sincerely believe that my blank years of X ranging from X would enable me to make a smooth transition and add real value to the X team. (in this paragraph, state the skills and experience you have that would relate to the job that you are applying for)

I look forward to hearing from you about the position of the temporary election clerk.

Sincerely,
Jessica
I don't have an e-mail address for the county. When I applied, it was through an application and they called me; they'll call me about the job too. I do know their address, that's why I planned on sending something. Maybe I will just type the letter instead of a card.

Thanks for responding.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
First rule of interviewing, ask for contact information so you can follow up with any questions.

That said, call back the person who scheduled the interview and ask for the email addresses. Look on the county website and see if the contact information is listed.

When was this interview? Thank you cards are outdated. Today potential employers are looking for an email. If you send a card, it will take longer, possibly putting you out of the running. If you truly don't have another option, try Google on what to write, what you have in your initial post isn't nearly enough.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most public agencies have their e-mails on their website, but even if the interviewer is not listed, you can see the pattern of how they do their addresses, for example: last name first initial @ county.gov and figure it out. I would consider a thank you without the name to be worse than none.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
First rule of interviewing, ask for contact information so you can follow up with any questions.

That said, call back the person who scheduled the interview and ask for the email addresses. Look on the county website and see if the contact information is listed.

When was this interview? Thank you cards are outdated. Today potential employers are looking for an email. If you send a card, it will take longer, possibly putting you out of the running. If you truly don't have another option, try Google on what to write, what you have in your initial post isn't nearly enough.

This. You ALWAYS ask for either a business card or an email address.

No, you can't send a card with cherry blossoms on it, you're not thanking her for hosting a baby shower.

OP, not to sound harsh, but I am going to guess that your name indicates the year you were born? 1989.

At 25 you should know this stuff.

I would also leave out the comment about it being temporary, and just say elections clerk.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

My dad works for the county, so if it's not on the site... I know what his e-mail address ends with and I know the person's first name (I would just need her last... the e-mail is set up as first initial, last name, then the county address). The interview was yesterday. I just finished work, so I will look now.

I only have had two part time jobs, the one I'm still employed with and will be employed with. With the job I have now, I've been there 8 years and I sent a thank you card back in 2006. It was enough. The 2nd job I had from 2011-2014, I didn't send anything and still got the job.

Edit: I did find her, but she doesn't have a personal email. It's a general voting e-mail. Since I was interviewed by three people, I'm going to send a thank you to that general e-mail.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
My dad works for the county, so if it's not on the site... I know what his e-mail address ends with and I know the person's first name (I would just need her last... the e-mail is set up as first initial, last name, then the county address). The interview was yesterday. I just finished work, so I will look now.

I only have had two part time jobs, the one I'm still employed with and will be employed with. With the job I have now, I've been there 8 years and I sent a thank you card back in 2006. It was enough. The 2nd job I had from 2011-2014, I didn't send anything and still got the job.

Edit: I did find her, but she doesn't have a personal email. It's a general voting e-mail. Since I was interviewed by three people, I'm going to send a thank you to that general e-mail.
NO, do not do this. Really, really you need to take a course on how to find a job or read up on it. Again, call the office, speak to who scheduled the interview and ask for the email addresses.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM

I found the e-mail address. I did a search on her name. I am going to be sending this e-mail to her work e-mail address:

Dear X,

Thank you taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me yesterday. I genuinely enjoyed our discussion about the role for the election clerk position. Our conversation confirmed my interest in becoming part of the Voter Services team.

I sincerely believe that my two and a half years of experience for West Chester University ranging from data entry to helping older faculty members would enable me to make a smooth transition and add real value to Voter Services. In those two and a half years, I've planned classes and helped plan the yearly conference between the schools in PASSHE (Pennsylvania Association for State Schools and Higher Education). My personality also helped in providing one-on-one training for faculty and staff as well as group trainings. My keen eye for detail has helped me with carefully entering names in the databases and to help edit documents. The eight years I have with Upper Merion Township Library with patience, helping patrons and organization further enhances what I learned with my time with West Chester University.

Sincerely,
Jessica Marie

Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I found the e-mail address. I did a search on her name. I am going to be sending this e-mail to her work e-mail address:

Dear X,

Thank you taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me yesterday. I genuinely enjoyed our discussion about the role for the election clerk position. Our conversation confirmed my interest in becoming part of the Voter Services team.

I sincerely believe that my two and a half years of experience for West Chester University ranging from data entry to helping older faculty members would enable me to make a smooth transition and add real value to Voter Services. In those two and a half years, I've planned classes and helped plan the yearly conference between the schools in PASSHE (Pennsylvania Association for State Schools and Higher Education). My personality also helped in providing one-on-one training for faculty and staff as well as group trainings. My keen eye for detail has helped me with carefully entering names in the databases and to help edit documents. The eight years I have with Upper Merion Township Library with patience, helping patrons and organization further enhances what I learned with my time with West Chester University.

Sincerely,
Jessica Marie
You don't need to re-state your resume. If it's an email, just say thank you for the opportunity. I liked you, I look forward to hearing from you further.

Short, sweet, simple. If she wants your resume, she has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment