Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
From reading the OP's words it would seem that no amount of advice was helping. The OP seemed to want to know what would happen. All the OP has to do is try it to find out. The way I am reading this thread is that the OP has been warned it is a scam but can not grasp the idea that a swindle is about to take place. The only way to find out what will happen is to jump in and see. It would appear that no amount of help will deter the OP from trying. You can only offer so much before a thread like this turns into a small form of amusement for the remainder of us. Sarcasm is part of the amusement and is a good tool to explain a situation.

"Don't do it this is a scam" was offered by those reading the posts.

After that it should be, go for it but you were warned.
It would seem you did not read her posts very carefully. She is quite aware that a "swindle would take place" if she "jumped in to see." OP does not need to be persuaded from trying. Nothing in her posts said she intended to try.

In her first post she said she knew it was too good to be true, and merely asked what they could do with a person's bank account number (and in subsequent posts it was pointed out that anyone you write a check to has that same bank account info).

In her second post she said she knew it was a scam and that she already flagged the ad!!

I still don't understand why everyone treated her like some fool who was falling for a scam. She merely wanted to know if anyone knew what this particular scam was----for if all it takes is the bank account number, then anyone who has ever written a check should be getting scammed right and left, considering how many people have access to that check as it goes through the payment process.

Only one person gave any kind of reasonable answer, which was that someone could use the numbers and print counterfeit checks. (But again, that would be a hazard with writing anyone a check)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It would seem you did not read her posts very carefully. She is quite aware that a "swindle would take place" if she "jumped in to see." OP does not need to be persuaded from trying. Nothing in her posts said she intended to try.

In her first post she said she knew it was too good to be true, and merely asked what they could do with a person's bank account number (and in subsequent posts it was pointed out that anyone you write a check to has that same bank account info).

In her second post she said she knew it was a scam and that she already flagged the ad!!

I still don't understand why everyone treated her like some fool who was falling for a scam. She merely wanted to know if anyone knew what this particular scam was----for if all it takes is the bank account number, then anyone who has ever written a check should be getting scammed right and left, considering how many people have access to that check as it goes through the payment process.

Only one person gave any kind of reasonable answer, which was that someone could use the numbers and print counterfeit checks. (But again, that would be a hazard with writing anyone a check)
Everyone is saying it and yet you choose to single me out.

I find it interesting that the OP has questions about this scam. What I see from the OP's words are "What is the worse thing that can happen to me if I try this scam out?"

Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Everyone is saying it and yet you choose to single me out.

I find it interesting that the OP has questions about this scam. What I see from the OP's words are "What is the worse thing that can happen to me if I try this scam out?"
Sorry, didn't mean to single anyone out. I didn't go back and see who I had previously responded to. I guess I just didn't interpret OP's question the way most others did. And I still don't see how you interpreted anything in this thread to indicate she wanted to "try this scam out," especially after I just restated what she said in her first two posts. Maybe there was something else that came up later, I don't know.

Anyway.....

I stuck around and kept reiterating my question (which I think was OP's question as well) because I had never thought about someone being able to clean out my bank account with just the info printed on a check. I don't write many checks these days, and this thread has me thinking perhaps I should use only cashiers checks or money orders just to be on the safe side.

And I stuck around because I found it frustrating that so many people could attack OP but offer nothing of value in what her question seemed to actually be.....or at least what MY question was. I (foolishly) thought if I kept rewording the concern, someone might give a useful reply, because I did actually want to understand what someone can do with just the numbers printed on my check.

Still waiting.....

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to single anyone out. I didn't go back and see who I had previously responded to. I guess I just didn't interpret OP's question the way most others did. And I still don't see how you interpreted anything in this thread to indicate she wanted to "try this scam out," especially after I just restated what she said in her first two posts. Maybe there was something else that came up later, I don't know.

Anyway.....

I stuck around and kept reiterating my question (which I think was OP's question as well) because I had never thought about someone being able to clean out my bank account with just the info printed on a check. I don't write many checks these days, and this thread has me thinking perhaps I should use only cashiers checks or money orders just to be on the safe side.

And I stuck around because I found it frustrating that so many people could attack OP but offer nothing of value in what her question seemed to actually be.....or at least what MY question was. I (foolishly) thought if I kept rewording the concern, someone might give a useful reply, because I did actually want to understand what someone can do with just the numbers printed on my check.

Still waiting.....
I have been silently waiting right along with you Kayanne.

Sometimes you really do have to use a check and I too am wondering what someone could do with the information on my check.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
Beware of craigslist ad for husky puppy (beautiful pictures of 13 wk blue eyed husky puppy).
I contacted ad and "shelby clark" responded. She said she recently relocated to cameroon for her job and had to find a home for her 13 wk husky puppy. The only charge (rehoming fee) would be $155.00 to
change the name on the puppy's ownership papers. She would pay for the shipping of the puppy.
Red flags appeared when she asked a mountain of questions, yet trying to sound like this would be a
chance of a lifetime for her "baby".

Toooo good to be true! Shelbyclark [email="79@gmail.com"]79@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment