Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Anything could happen. She could fall on the stairs and severely break her leg putting her in the hospital for a few days and causing her to miss work & school for three weeks (happened to a coworker). She could be getting more paper out of a cupboard and have something fall and hit her in the face and break off/chip her front teeth (causing a thousand of dollars of dental work) (happened to a different coworker). She could get a paper cut which becomes dangerously infected resulting in a several visits to a hand surgeon (happened to my husband as a TA in college). All were covered by workers compensation. She could slip on a freshly waxed floor, she could get carpel tunnel syndrome, she could have any number of things happen to her.

Are these likely? Probably, not. Are these possible? Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planning View Post
In all of those examples though, we wouldn't want her to think someone else should pay for her mistake. If she trips or is clumsy, it's her fault.

Carpel tunnel syndrome doesn't happen until older right? We type a ton and haven't had any issues and we're much older than her.
Hmmm, I am thinking of my coworker who chipped his front teeth when something fell off the shelf and hit him in the face. Without workers compensation he would have had to pay the $1,000, out of his own pocket, to get his teeth fixed for a freak accident which was certainly not his fault or his mistake.

So, Planning, if a "freak accident" like this happened to your daughter you would want her to pay the $1,000 herself because "we wouldn't want her to think someone else should pay for her mistake. If she trips or is clumsy, it's her fault"? I bet that my coworker that fell on the stairs and was the hospital for a few days, probably ended up with at least $5,000 to $6,000 in medical bills which were totally paid by workman's compensation. Do you really think that your daughter should be responsible for a bill like that because she was "clumsy" and "it's her fault"?

As you know, if someone has an on the job injury, sometimes your health insurance will not cover it because it is the responsibility of the employer's workman's compensation insurance.

So, as a parent you are willing to let your daughter pay her own medical and dental bills that are caused by accidents on the job? ????

BTW, carpel tunnel, and other problems, can happen to all ages, even things such as having your chair at the wrong height for the computer or typing at an incorrect angle or other poor work habits can cause problems.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-26-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 12:01 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
Quote:

One concern is that your daughter may become so attracted to the extra cash that she wants to work more and more hours and starts to neglect her studies, family and friends. I have seen that happen again and again with teenagers.
My older brother did this and ended up not going to college and ran into a ceiling where he could not be promoted further past operational management without a degree at a large corporation.

But my parents overreacted by not letting me work at all through high school and saying that if I got a menial job during college they would cut me off financially so I was extremely unprepared for internship interviews so don't go to the other extreme. It worked out for me in the end, fortunately.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 AM

130 posts, read 123,309 times
Quote:
Obviously, the battles were initiated by the employer and needed to be fought by the employee (my teenage child).

When my son started his job he said that he was not available to work after 10:30 PM, however, the employee asked him on numerous occasions to stay for stocking shelves which ended at 1 AM or 2 AM(which would hard for a teen who frequently had a few hours of homework to do after work & had to get up at 6 AM to get to school on time). Another example was during final exam time many teens will call in sick, or quit, so the employer would demand that the teens who did show up would work double or extra shifts or not be allowed to leave at the end of their shift.

Planning, as an adult with at least 13 years of work experience yourself I am surprised that you not know this.

If he said he can't work after 1030 PM, why would he ever stay past 11?

Also, why can't the employer just note when teens have final exams and not schedule them to work those shifts? Or why can't the teen be honest about his situation instead of calling in sick?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I am thinking of my coworker who chipped his front teeth when something fell off the shelf and hit him in the face. Without workers compensation he would have had to pay the $1,000, out of his own pocket, to get his teeth fixed for a freak accident which was certainly not his fault or his mistake.

So, Planning, if a "freak accident" like this happened to your daughter you would want her to pay the $1,000 herself because "we wouldn't want her to think someone else should pay for her mistake. If she trips or is clumsy, it's her fault"? I bet that my coworker that fell on the stairs and was the hospital for a few days, probably ended up with at least $5,000 to $6,000 in medical bills which were totally paid by workman's compensation. Do you really think that your daughter should be responsible for a bill like that because she was "clumsy" and "it's her fault"?

As you know, if someone has an on the job injury, sometimes your health insurance will not cover it because it is the responsibility of the employer's workman's compensation insurance.

So, as a parent you are willing to let your daughter pay her own medical and dental bills that are caused by accidents on the job? ????

BTW, carpel tunnel, and other problems, can happen to all ages, even things such as having your chair at the wrong height for the computer or typing at an incorrect angle or other poor work habits can cause problems.

Well who else's fault is someone tripping or being clumsy besides yourself? You can't blame another person for something you did.

But yeah, I would want her to pay for it if it happened. $1,000 is not a lot of money and it's unlikely to happen anyway.

Maybe those things could happen at all ages, but are we going to tell kids not to go to school because the computer lab chair might be at the wrong height or angle?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
My older brother did this and ended up not going to college and ran into a ceiling where he could not be promoted further past operational management without a degree at a large corporation.

But my parents overreacted by not letting me work at all through high school and saying that if I got a menial job during college they would cut me off financially so I was extremely unprepared for internship interviews so don't go to the other extreme. It worked out for me in the end, fortunately.

What type of job was it?

If he was there for a long time, I thought they would just train him in what he needs to know if they really liked him. Most degrees are not actually necessary. They just exist as a way to whittle down the field, but if he was already there, that should mean they already like him.

How did it work out for you?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:26 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
At the age of 13 I doubt she can legally work unless it is agriculture related and possibly a family related farm/agriculture business.

You really want to make sure of the guidelines before you allow her to work at all at her age.
This. I worked at 13, but it was at my mom's business and I was paid under the table at $5/hour (I don't know what minimum wage was in 2002). I only worked 8-10 hours a week. I did do this during the school year and was fine.

I also babysat for family and friends of family. I believe in most states, 14 is the legal age to start working in non-family (and farm) businesses and she'll need papers. Of course, you'll need to check in your area and go from there.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Obviously, the battles were initiated by the employer and needed to be fought by the employee (my teenage child).

When my son started his job he said that he was not available to work after 10:30 PM, however, the employee asked him on numerous occasions to stay for stocking shelves which ended at 1 AM or 2 AM(which would hard for a teen who frequently had a few hours of homework to do after work & had to get up at 6 AM to get to school on time). Another example was during final exam time many teens will call in sick, or quit, so the employer would demand that the teens who did show up would work double or extra shifts or not be allowed to leave at the end of their shift.

Planning, as an adult with at least 13 years of work experience yourself I am surprised that you not know this.
Quote:
If he said he can't work after 1030 PM, why would he ever stay past 11?
Because, the employer is the boss and they frequently use the magic words. "Do this or you are fired" or "Stay late or you are fired" or " Work this shift or you are fired".

BTW, my son never worked past 10:30, even when they threatened to fire him. He was an exemplary employee and they did not want to lose him. Other teens that refused to work longer were fired.

As you know from your jobs if you get fired it makes it difficult to get a new job. In some small communities a former boss can even blackball you and make it extremely hard to find employment.

Quote:

Also, why can't the employer just note when teens have final exams and not schedule them to work those shifts? Or why can't the teen be honest about his situation instead of calling in sick?
If you have a business where there are a lot of teenage employees they may have the same finals schedule. Perhaps, a McDonalds with five teens working the evening shift. What happens when two or three or four employees ask off for the same night? Close the restaurant?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Well who else's fault is someone tripping or being clumsy besides yourself? You can't blame another person for something you did.

But yeah, I would want her to pay for it if it happened. $1,000 is not a lot of money and it's unlikely to happen anyway.
"$1,000 is not a lot of money" ????? Perhaps, you are extremely wealthy but most people are not.

Hmmm, at my house my $1,000 in wages would be used to pay my electric bill, garbage collection bill, water bill, homeowners association bill, and my escrow for property taxes that month. If I used $1,000 of my wages to pay a bill that was the responsibility of the employer where would I get the money to pay those bills that are my responsibility?

And, I better have a lot more income left over to pay my mortgage, my car insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, credit card bills, dentist bills, co-pays on medical bills and to buy food for my family.

Quote:
When my last child was 13 years old I was 49 years old and I had worked part time for 8 years in various jobs while in HS and college and fulltime for 25 years. After 33 years of job experience I am (as are most adults) fairly knowledgeable about a lot of job related issues. Even if you were only 18 years old when you had your daughter you are now 31 years old, and I am guessing that either you or your spouse or both probably have 13 years of work experience. Most adults with 13 plus years of employment have a basic knowledge of many employment issues.
(snip)
BTW, most workmen's compensation claims are not because "you are clumsy" but because of something unsafe that happened at work or something that was out of the control of the employee.

OP, as an adult with at least 13 years and possible as much as 33 or more years of job experience your knowledge of common employment issues, such as workmen's compensation seems to be extremely limited. If you gave more details about the types of industries where you were employed and your job background posters would be able to help you much better, or at least better understand why you are asking the very basic, simplistic questions that you are asking.

Frankly, an adult that has such limited knowledge of the world of business probably should be asking more questions on their job, asking questions of their coworkers & friends and learning a lot more about basic employment issues before they allow their 13 year old child to get a job.

How can you possibly protect your child if there are problems with her employer and she asks you for your advice and guidance in how she should deal with those problems?

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-27-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Good for her! I would probably be OK with 8 hours during the week and 8 hours on weekends. Provided her grades stay up. If the grades go down the job goes away. I would probably insist she save some of her money too. Not all but some!

It's easy work and not tiring. Should be a good experience!

Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
This is a bogus thread that needs to be shut down. The OP doesn't have a 13 year old daughter. I can tell that from the style in her writing, her mannerisms, and how she avoids everyone who has suggested that she doesn't have a daughter.

I can't tell for sure if she is the 13 year old or not - but likely.

This response is not how parents talk

How parents talk is

The other thing is planning has never stated what the opposition to the job is. She doesn't need the approval of the group of people on city-data.com. The 13 year old simply needs her parents to approve, work out a method to get to/from the job, and the approval of the employer. If all are in agreement, there is no purpose in continuing an argument on this site.

Finally, if the thread continues, we need more information. A state where the job is located. Reasons why someone is opposed to the 13 year old working. What kind of data entry job it is. Something that will further the discussion. Right now we have a hypothetical job, and a person who argues with every post and just comes back with more questions.

Please, either let the thread die or provide more information and say who you really are.
TiredTired is spot on with his/her observation. This thread is bogus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment