Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

There are two different issues. First is the notion that you are the almost perfect candidate for the job and are being overlooked by the company, which has happened two whole times, and you cannot understand why, and the second issue of not being called because companies are running ads and then pretending they cannot find any qualified Americans and therefore, must resort to HB1 workers.

No company is looking for the perfect candidate and then not hiring unless they're trying to b.s. the system because they want to hire HB1's. This very well could be the case since you're in I.T.

If that isn't what's going on, either you're being filtered out by application software or the company is getting your application but they have someone more qualified they're interested in.

In the event the software is knocking you out, why not try see if you can get the name of the hiring manager and email your resume directly to him / her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
So I'm seeing an alarming trend that I hope you guys can explain. There's a couple of jobs I've applied for in IT and not even gotten a call about that I'd say I was mostly (3/4) a fit for. I'm beginning to learn that if you aren't a perfect fit it doesn't seem you even get to be in the running which is really kind of shocking to me. I see these same jobs continuing to be posted on the job boards by multiple recruiters for two months now!

So are employers really so picky these days that they won't even call someone for a phone interview who fits most of their requirements and just leave a job open? So their work just doesn't get done?

I'm reading about the Purple Squirrel and becoming more depressed Urban Dictionary: Purple Squirrel
Why is this shocking? If you meet 75% of the requirements, you are still missing a quarter of what they are looking for. Some companies would rather leave a position unfilled for many months than hire someone who doesn't fit their need exactly. It is expensive to hire, re-locate, provide corporate training etc. etc. Why shouldn't a company look for and be picky about who they choose to spend that money on? The damage to be undone by hiring the wrong person is sometimes more than the damage of leaving the position open until the correct person is found.

It's my loss if I don't fill all the requirements. It doesn't mean a company is unfair because it chooses to leave a position open rather than hire me because I think 75% of skills should earn me the job. I hear the frustration though. So many are desperate for work, but the company is not wrong for identifying a specific need and waiting patiently to fill it.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I cannot interview anyone that doesn't meet the minimum requirements, HR will see to that, it's their job. Even so, we always get at least 10-20 that do, and I don't like to interview that many so I will select the best 10-12 of those. As has happened once, if none of them turn out to be suitable after the interviews and work sample project, (if I do one) we'll announce it again, but those interviewed are still considered in the running. I will always ask HR to call them and tell each person that we are extending it and will take more time for a decision. In that particular case, the second round netted only two that I would consider for the job and the best one accepted our offer. We will not hire someone that's not suitable just to get someone at the desk, it's been done before and caused nothing but problems. We do extensive formal training, but the person has to have the basic skills required to do the work. As the hiring manager for this unique position I had to do that work and my own until I hired her, so it was long hours and weekends for 2 months but worth it in the end to get the right person.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Yeah its called HR recruiters are a joke. Some of the most idiotic people I have ever run into are the ones looking for candidates. HR reps barely know the job requirements themselves they are just trying to fill a quota. You want a job network. Skip all the HR imbeciles and BS.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Just because a job is advertised, doesn't mean that it's really open. ALot of times they have to do make it seem like it was/is an open Competition meanwhile it's already filled internally or by someone close to those on the inside

Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,875 times
I frequently meet 100% of the requirements and most or all of the preferred qualifications and hear nothing. There are so many factors at play, it is hard to narrow it down. I think just about every point made here is a distinct possibility. If it's just a couple of applications, it probably isn't abnormal that you don't hear back on any. I hear back at a rate of somewhere between 3/10 and 4/10.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Just because a job is advertised, doesn't mean that it's really open. ALot of times they have to do make it seem like it was/is an open Competition meanwhile it's already filled internally or by someone close to those on the inside
I don't know why this idea keeps coming up. There is no law requiring employers to make openings open to the public, if they want to promote someone from within or hire the CEO's sister-in-law's daughter they can just do it. There is no reason to waste time and money advertising a job that doesn't exist.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM

210 posts, read 246,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
That's a well known trend. Jobs don't get filled because qualified applicants get filtered out by software. Then employers lobby the government to allow more H1B visas because of the "tech shortage". Funny how foreign workers don't have to face the Human Resources Terminator algorithms.
lol love the picture.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
At many places I've worked we'd rather keep a position open/unfilled than hire a subpar candidate. It's better for the company.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
I know there are some companies that are always "hiring", meaning they will put up a very desirable position to attract candidates and interview them even though there really isn't a specific opening. I guess the goal is to see what is out there and perhaps hire the best ones. It's kind of like browsing a store when you really don't need anything and only purchasing when something amazing comes along. I went to an IT interview in March that took 4 hours. I talked to 8 people. The last person I talked to basically gave me the idea they didn't have a specific opening but she wanted to know what other areas I was interested in not related to the job description. I didn't get the position. Right now I see that position still listed, renewed on job boards every month. Perhaps they are looking for a purple squirrel but my guess is, they are just screening candidates to add to their database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment