Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:51 AM

603 posts, read 846,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If asked about it, seeing as the interviewer may very well ask, then tell the truth. It shouldn't be something that you bring to light when asked why you want to leave your current employer.
Got it. So I'll just bring up that I want full time work along with more responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
I'd certainly say that when you took the job it was represented that maintenance was a priority for the location but you have found, after living and working there, that while management understands this should be the case, the owners do not provide the necessary funding. This may also help you to avoid falling into the same type situation going forward.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I would do the same. Never talk bad about your current or previous employer or working environment. Just say it's part time and no benefits.
This^^^ That's enough of a reason to swap jobs. There's no reason to mention the living conditions. Everyone understands full-time/benefits is a good reason to look elswhere. And you wouldn't be telling a lie.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Also, my current job is part time with no benefits, while the job I'm going for is full time.
This is all you need to say. You prefer the security and long-term prospects of a full time time job.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I actually like my bosses, so I don't have anything negative to say about them. I work for a property management company, and I've never met the owner of the building, though most people like him from what I've been told. I just worried that only having this current job for 2 months isn't enough experience.

The job I'm going for includes managing 70 units, compared to the 25 I do right now, and it has more duties.

So I should definitely leave out the part about the living conditions?
Yeah, I would leave out anything negative regarding the current employer/work conditions, etc. Just makes you look more professional.

And I don't think it is too soon. In the past I was the type of person who would stay and stay and be loyal. I've changed in my old age (57). I took a job at the beginning of this year and within a few weeks I knew it wasn't going to be a good fit for me. I wasn't going to make as much money as I wanted to make and I didn't agree with the manager's management style. It wasn't affecting ME yet, but I saw how and heard how it affected others in the department and I didn't want to be a part of it. My 20 or 30 year old self would have stayed anyway for 10 or 20 years. But my 56 year old self decided I wasn't going to waste more time there, and I quit. Within a couple of months I found another job paying twice as much, much less crap to deal with, and a manager who knows how to manage. My only regret is that I wasted several weeks of my time at the first place. I really wish I'd quit sooner!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I would do the same. Never talk bad about your current or previous employer or working environment. Just say it's part time and no benefits.
Ditto this. When you say negative things about a past or current employer, the prospective employer will wonder if you will tell other people negative things about them if and when you leave.

It's definitely early on to be interviewing for other positions, and yes you might look like a job hopper. But you've got nothing to lose by trying, so go for it!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Always tell the truth, even if you think it wouldn't sound good. It shows honesty and character. Not all managers will want to hear the truth, but the good ones and the ones you'd want to work for will.

Try not to speak negatively of your current boss, that doesn't mean you can't tell them of the living conditions.
I will say this is not a bad strategy to weed out crappy employers. It might take you longer to find a good one with this method, so for now since you are in a hurry to get out of there I would stick to the part time/benefits, which is technically part of the reason.

Once you have a good job that is tolerable, you can take your time interviewing for a good one while you tell the truth.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I always felt someone should be at a job atleast a year before transitioning but that is based on how long the previous job was. OP if your last job was less than a year then I would say try to stick it out for 2 years or more unless you have a strong network and can easily get another job.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 PM

269 posts, read 370,921 times
If you're not happy in a job, always start looking. You need to not dread going into work every day. This coming from someone whose last two jobs have been 4 months and 8 months. Been in my current job for 6 months now and not looking to leave anytime soon.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
If you're not happy in a job, always start looking. You need to not dread going into work every day. This coming from someone whose last two jobs have been 4 months and 8 months. Been in my current job for 6 months now and not looking to leave anytime soon.
But the OP said he only been there 2 months so unless he can interview after business hours it would be no way to take off so early in his employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment