Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have lived in Ottawa for 8 years and although it can be a nice city, 6 months of winter sucks! Does this look like fun?

OttawaStart Blog: Ottawa photo of the day: Commuters help push an OC Transpo bus out of the snow

I am currently completing my Masters in Engineering specializing in electronics/unmanned systems and have 1.5 years of experience working as a site instrumentation engineer.
I am looking for a change in scenery, preferably with a warm, low humidity (Mediterranean) climate, in a relatively safe and diverse city. I also appreciate green, sustainable, outdoor living.
If anyone has any tips or advice to help me on my way I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 04:13 PM

310 posts, read 684,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTheMonkey View Post
The most obvious issue is that you will need work authorization to work in the US, or any other countries. How do you plan to achieve that?

Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,088 times
Quote:
The most obvious issue is that you will need work authorization to work in the US, or any other countries. How do you plan to achieve that?
In the US, I would need to get a job offer and then show my offer to the US border agency to get issued a TN visa, typically given on the spot for approx $50 and is good for 3 years. Many countries have the same sort of system for what they deem "in demand" or "professional" occupations.
Also, I am born in Europe and should be able to get EU citizenship if necessary (which I am working on now).

Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 PM

310 posts, read 684,470 times
Your Masters will count for one year of work experience, so for practical purposes you can apply for jobs which have a 2 year experience requirement. Those will be entry level positions regardless though.

Pick an area where you want to live, set up an Indeed.com job alert for engineering jobs in that/those state/states, and start applying. The visa sponsorship thing will be a disadvantage but it is what it is, don't let that get you down. Be prepared to send in hundreds of apps. Lots of places look at someone from another country as too much trouble and they rather hire someone local. You may want to consider moving to your target area first and then apply for jobs, if you can afford to do that.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,832,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTheMonkey View Post
Hello,
I have lived in Ottawa for 8 years and although it can be a nice city, 6 months of winter sucks! Does this look like fun?

OttawaStart Blog: Ottawa photo of the day: Commuters help push an OC Transpo bus out of the snow

I am currently completing my Masters in Engineering specializing in electronics/unmanned systems and have 1.5 years of experience working as a site instrumentation engineer.
I am looking for a change in scenery, preferably with a warm, low humidity (Mediterranean) climate, in a relatively safe and diverse city. I also appreciate green, sustainable, outdoor living.

Thanks!
Look for jobs in California, Virginia (Richmond, Northern Virginia), North Carolina (raleigh-chapel hill-durham triangle area, charlotte). I have worked mostly on east coast & love the climate here. Snows sometime but not as bad as the north. Atlanta, GA is also good but the traffic is horrible. They do have a lot of EE jobs though. Houston, TX probably has the most EE jobs but I haven't heard good things about living there because it has very high crime rate, hot, humid weather & the traffic is a nightmare. The only places I would live in Texas are Dallas or Austin.

EE companies who are involved in manufacturing prefer smaller towns as the cost of property is low. Do some research on how far it is from a bigger town as living in a small city can get boring over time. If you are even an hour away from a mid-size town you can have a good social life, entertainment & other job opportunities. All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment