Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM

850 posts, read 901,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It would make much more sense to join the military and try to get a military police MOS. You do your four years, get the free training and get paid for it.
I agree that is better option for becoming a police officer than racking up student loans for a criminal justice degree. I just looked up the starting salaries of new Atlanta police officers on their recruiting site. https://www.joinatlantapd.org/salaryandbenefits.htm. Apparently, high school graduates start off making 39K. 40k for associates and 42K for a bachelors. So I guess that criminal justice degree helps you make an extra 3,000 a year. Was it work the 4 years of schooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM

156 posts, read 317,998 times
Quote:
It would make much more sense to join the military and try to get a military police MOS. You do your four years, get the free training and get paid for it.
I don't think that's necessarily true, because A. Military law is completely different from civilian law B. Being in the military police is different from being a civilian police officer and C. You still have to go through academy training regardless of your background.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true, because A. Military law is completely different from civilian law B. Being in the military police is different from being a civilian police officer and C. You still have to go through academy training regardless of your background.
On the other hand you are a veteran which would give you a leg up due to hiring quotas. You may not have civilian law enforcement experience but you have a hell of a lot more experience than someone sitting in a college classroom for the past four years. You are also PAID to get the experience whereas a college student PAYS. Being in the military requires you keep up physical conditioning; college? "World of warcraft" and doritos will make it tough to handle the physical fitness requirements at the academy....

I am not "digging" only on criminal justice majors. I think there are a lot of college majors that are a waste of time & money career wise. Kids really need to THINK about it. Is a degree going to help me get the job I want? Can I afford the degree? Is there a better way to go about getting the degree?

The days of going to college in order to "enlighten" yourself are over. Go to school & pay 30,000 a year for an "Art" degree? My niece did this and has never held a professional job in the field. (She did meet her husband who is a trust fund baby there so it's all good I suppose)

Old 06-29-2015, 05:30 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:

I am not "digging" only on criminal justice majors. I think there are a lot of college majors that are a waste of time & money career wise. Kids really need to THINK about it. Is a degree going to help me get the job I want? Can I afford the degree? Is there a better way to go about getting the degree?
I wouldn't say that any degree is useless it simply depends on how they use it. The thing is with a degree at least it's confirmed. One reason why I left the private sector is frankly the experience doesn't always add up. Non competitive agreements and proprietary information and terms lead to a lack of cooperation.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Many criminal jusitice majors end up working as police officers or as a secetary in a law firm. Neither of those jobs actually require a college degree. Police Officers only need a high school diploma in my area and training from a police academy. A bachelors in Psychology won't get you in a psychology profession. Most BA or BS psychology graduates are working in human resources, an administrative assistant, or as a retail store manager. A minimum of a masters in psychology is required to obtain a liscense as a psychologist. If college students motive is to get a decent or high paying job in their profession, they are going have to major in a very high demand field like engineering, computer science, or maybe nursing or accounting. Those last two I am starting to hear stories about nursing and accounting majors having a tough time finding work in their profession as well. If your only goal for going to college is getting a job you better major in a high demand field or do a lot of internships at big companies to build your resume up with lots of experience. In today's time it's not the piece of paper that is getting you hired, it's the experience you have and all the internships that you did that is compelling employers to give you a shot.
A New Study Predicts Which Industries Will Be Hiring in the Future - Businessweek

Quote:
If you’re an occupational therapist, podiatrist, or audiologist, getting a job in the next decade will be simplicity itself. You’ll have a much harder time, though, if you’re a movie projectionist, typist, food prep worker, or dancer.

That’s according to a study released today by the Conference Board, covering 464 occupations in the U.S. that range from sewage plant workers (in demand) to judicial law clerks (not in demand). It covers the period from 2012 to 2022. A summary of the report is available here. Reading the whole report will cost you $395 if you aren’t a Conference Board member.

The most surprising finding of the study is that STEM occupations—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics—don’t top the list of jobs that will face labor shortages, despite the drumbeat of warnings that the U.S. isn’t producing enough STEM grads. “Many of these fields rank surprisingly average in a national context” in terms of labor-shortage risk, said the report summary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment