Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times

Advertisements

This is exactly what those "buy here pay here" low end car lots are meant for. I'd never recommend that if there were other options, but this is one the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You don't mention how old your car is or how many miles it has on it.

Sorry this happened, but one of the first things you have to think of when changing jobs is the commute and when you're doing a long commute like this and relying on a car that is not used to doing this kind of driving is "will the car last?".

Many years ago I changed jobs and had an old car, but I moved so I was able to take a commuter rail to work. My only driving in regards to commute was the two miles to the train station. I knew the car wasn't going to last doing the almost 50 mile round trip daily.

I can't imagine taking a job 70 miles away and not being very sure that the car was going to last awhile, or moving very close to the job.

My own car is on its last legs. That's one of the reasons why I only looked for jobs (and informed head hunters to do the same) that were within 15 miles of my home and on the bus line. Today, I drive 1 mile to the bus stop, and bus in into the office. It takes me an hour as opposed to 30 minutes driving, but you do what you have to. I can also walk (and I have) to a closer bus stop. That bus takes 1.5 hours to get to my office.

It may sound mean and cruel, but the reality is that the logistics may just not work.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
Wow I never thought about the cash for clunkers in that light but you are spot on. My aunt said the cheap get me by in a pinch car is a thing of the past and cash for clunkers might have had a lot to do with that.

And my car did not actually blow up. The battery light went on and after an hour of driving the abs light came on too then the rpms went to 5 thousand and I just got the car home when that started. Also the radio started beeping. When I got it home I tried starting it again and it just clicked like the starter was out but when I tried an hour later it started up just fine but the battery light was still on. I am going to try to bring the car to auto part store for a free diagnostic test. I hope it is a cheap fix and not the alternator. I will repost this in the auto forum to see if this has happed to anyone else.

So wait...... it sounds like you have a charging system issue. This is going to come down (likely) to either the alternator or battery. So probably in the neighborhood of $150-400. Get it checked, and then do the work yourself. There is a Youtube video for everything and it takes nothing more than a few common hand tools to replace either one. So you don't need to pay for labor.

I'd make sure next time to specify what you mean by "blown up" because this sounds like a fairly easy (and relatively inexpensive) repair. I definitely wouldn't consider quitting my job over it. Heck, pull one from a junkyard if you have to and save more money.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM

495 posts, read 684,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So wait...... it sounds like you have a charging system issue. This is going to come down (likely) to either the alternator or battery. So probably in the neighborhood of $150-400. Get it checked, and then do the work yourself. There is a Youtube video for everything and it takes nothing more than a few common hand tools to replace either one. So you don't need to pay for labor.

I'd make sure next time to specify what you mean by "blown up" because this sounds like a fairly easy (and relatively inexpensive) repair. I definitely wouldn't consider quitting my job over it. Heck, pull one from a junkyard if you have to and save more money.
The reason why I am worried is I might not have a ride to work until I can afford to fix the car. But a relative has said I can use theirs for a few weeks. I was panicking yesterday because I was sure I could not get anyone to borrow a car to me. Things are a better today as I have this work week covered and I hope the fix is inexpensive. I will follow your advice on the do it yourself youtube videos.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
The reason why I am worried is I might not have a ride to work until I can afford to fix the car. But a relative has said I can use theirs for a few weeks. I was panicking yesterday because I was sure I could not get anyone to borrow a car to me. Things are a better today as I have this work week covered and I hope the fix is inexpensive. I will follow your advice on the do it yourself youtube videos.

Curious....where are you going to live after November? I would start looking at places closer to work.

I understand panicking when things go wrong - Glad you were able to get it worked out.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

My own car is on its last legs. That's one of the reasons why I only looked for jobs (and informed head hunters to do the same) that were within 15 miles of my home and on the bus line. Today, I drive 1 mile to the bus stop, and bus in into the office. It takes me an hour as opposed to 30 minutes driving, but you do what you have to. I can also walk (and I have) to a closer bus stop. That bus takes 1.5 hours to get to my office.

It may sound mean and cruel, but the reality is that the logistics may just not work.

You're doing it the smart way. I got two more years out of my car when I started just driving it to the train station for the commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

That's what it sounds like, the OP while understandably upset was overdramatic, sounded like they blew the transmission at first.

The car is fixable, but depending on how old it is and the mileage, it could have more problems with such a long drive.

Never answered the question as to how old or how many miles. That matters with a commute like this, even with a newer car that is an awful lot of miles to rack up.

I would look at moving much closer to work. Sounds like the OP needs to find a new place anyway after November.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Wait...you got a job making triple but you can't afford to repair your car?

Get the car into a shop. Get a loaner to use in the meantime to get to/from work. Or trade in the car and get a new used one with low car payments.

Don't panic and announce you'll have to quit your job. You have options.

That is a great idea except it does cost money which is I believe the whole problem.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Go to a dealer and get a used car with a loan

Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
No time to read everything but why would you want to commute 70 miles? Pitch a tent within bicycle riding distance of work and rough it for a couple of pay days. You should be able to save up a good down payment by then.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You don't mention how old your car is or how many miles it has on it.

Sorry this happened, but one of the first things you have to think of when changing jobs is the commute and when you're doing a long commute like this and relying on a car that is not used to doing this kind of driving is "will the car last?".

Many years ago I changed jobs and had an old car, but I moved so I was able to take a commuter rail to work. My only driving in regards to commute was the two miles to the train station. I knew the car wasn't going to last doing the almost 50 mile round trip daily.

I can't imagine taking a job 70 miles away and not being very sure that the car was going to last awhile, or moving very close to the job.
If you are fortunate enough to have a train that runs between your home and job, use it. Savings on wear and tear are worth it even if the train fare is substantially more than gasoline used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment