Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 AM

10 posts, read 11,462 times

Advertisements

I began working as a temporary worker a month ago at startup company #A. However, before this, I had a full-time offer with benefits from another startup company #B (in another state). When I interviewed with #A I was originally interviewing for a full-time position, that paid 47,000/yr. However, I was told that the company decided not to hire at the moment. In the meantime, I had an offer from #B for 44,000/yr plus out-of-state in expensive NYC, which I desperately accepted. A few days before I planned on packing my things, the hiring manager from #A called me saying he'd like me to come work as a temp, until he gets permission from the CEO to bring me on full-time. The pay was for 45,000/yr which I accepted without any hesitation.

I accepted the offer from #B and was too scared to tell them I was going to reject them so I gave them an excuse saying I had to go on an unexpected family vacation and won't be available for a few weeks and let them know to keep searching for someone else in the meantime - I hoped they'd forget about me since they receive a lot of applicants. During this time, I started with #B.

A person who works at #B has a brother who works at #A and I guess they somehow found out that I was the same person who accepted an offer at #A. This person told the boss and he had me come in for a chat. I told him that as a result of not receiving an initial offer, I went ahead and accepted the offer from #B, but because he had contacted me a few days later with the temp offer, I changed my mind and went with #A's offer. He even mentioned how I lied about going on vacation. He then questioned my loyalty and asked if I'd leave in a week or something to that effect. I told him that I knowingly burned a bridge and turned down a full-time offer to join him as a temp so he has nothing to worry about.

Now I'm in this weird situation where the boss thinks I'm an unethical lying sob. Does anyone know what I should do from here on out?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Perhaps you should tell the truth in the future when you interview for the position right after you leave the current
temporary job.
Personally I would not look for the temporary job to become permanent or last much longer.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 AM

235 posts, read 297,480 times
Sounds like you're toast in both places. I would recommend not lying in the future.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,252,134 times
Um....didn't you sort of post about this last month?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...g-manager.html

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
From now on, even though it is awkward, just TELL people when you are quitting because, while they will be temporarily annoyed, they will then immediately move on to fill the position.

Lying to avoid the confrontation only strings things out and leaves them in limbo. And, of course, makes people not trust you.

Don't lie. Do your job and keep your head down, but don't be surprised if he does not extend the job to permanent status.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,248,768 times
You took a temp job over a permanent job???

I would start looking elsewhere immediately.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,328,538 times
It was unwise to take a temp job over FTE. I don't care what company A tells you the stats are only 27% of Temp to hire jobs turn perm. Company A may very well be jerking you arround and enjoy having you without having to pay benefits or declare you headcount and just jerk you arround as long as you let them. You should continue looking for a real job with full effort while you are a temp and leave the second you get one and tell company A if you aren't important enough to give benefits and directly hire then you leaving should be no big deal.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,451,063 times
There's nothing you can do to salvage your reputation in either place. All you can do is learn from your mistake and be truthful in the future. Part of being a mature, responsible adult is doing things that are unpleasant. Telling them you're sorry, you've taken a local position was that thing.

I just have to add that telling a potential employer you had to go on an 'unexpected vacation' sounds very 'dog ate my homework'.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM

12,061 posts, read 23,092,364 times
The boss is questioning your loyalty and your ethics; don't be surprised when he doesn't offer you a FT position. You very well may have burned two bridges. Personally, I would have a follow up conversation in which I acknowledged my mistake and ask him what I needed to do to prove that I wanted to be part of his organization.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra998 View Post

Now I'm in this weird situation where the boss thinks I'm an unethical lying sob.
Actions speak louder than words, and yours spoke very loudly. You will probably be let go from both offers. Nobody wants to hire a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment