Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 AM

166 posts, read 243,162 times

Advertisements

OP, wherever you are always do your best. You never know. I would suggest two things: Let HR know about your desire to be full time. 2. Keep sending out resumes elsewhere thus keeping your options open.

I know someone who temped for over a year with a company. She started as a temp for 30 days. She was as frustrated as you are now. Yes, there were times she felt like quitting but I encouraged her to hang in there and to keep applying out in the meantime.

She was eventually brought on full time, and she is already moving up with the company.

Hang in there. Be patient. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,969,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
OP, wherever you are always do your best. You never know. I would suggest two things: Let HR know about your desire to be full time. 2. Keep sending out resumes elsewhere thus keeping your options open.

I know someone who temped for over a year with a company. She started as a temp for 30 days. She was as frustrated as you are now. Yes, there were times she felt like quitting but I encouraged her to hang in there and to keep applying out in the meantime.

She was eventually brought on full time, and she is already moving up with the company.

I have "Temped" for six, going on seven, years. I am not complaining - I make good money and I'm "retired" - with all of the benefits of retirement (except I'm working). But I can easily understand why somebody, without the retirement benefits, would want full time employment.

My feeling is that anybody, in this "temp" position that needs benefits, should ever stop looking for another job. If an employer lead you on, with a promise of hire in a short period of time, you should have been looking from the end of that time. Yes; you can let HR know that you are interested in a full time position - but they already know that! That is the game the company plays - they love to let employees think that they will be hired.

I do not believe that any employee should ever quit any job, even a Temp job, until they have start time for another job. A bird in the hand...... + employers are quicker to hire somebody with a proven work record.

By the way, I'm curious, does anybody know how much these temp agencies get paid? I presume that they are working on 5% or 10% of our salary - but I don't know.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,457,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I do know the boss from my previous company and he was the one who had them bring me on. All permanent employees start out as temp to hire at this place, like a lot of companies have done for a long time. The agency is an in-house agency, they only bring in people through this agency.

Your situation sounds more hopeful given the additional information you've provided. Keep us posted!

Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I do know the boss from my previous company and he was the one who had them bring me on. All permanent employees start out as temp to hire at this place, like a lot of companies have done for a long time. The agency is an in-house agency, they only bring in people through this agency.
Okay, cool. This is a bit different than an outside temp agency.

Why don't you just ask your supervisor or the temp recruiter who placed you on the assignment?

I hope you get the job. I really do.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
What makes me mad about this, is that once they finally do hire you on full-time, they'll probably then put you on probation for another 90 days, as far as benefits go. They let it linger on like this to delay paying benefits as long as possible.

This is why I think you need to nudge them by letting them think they may lose you, if you start having "doctor appointments" all of a sudden. That worked for me in the past. They are gambling that you will put up with their delay, and they also know that they have already invested a lot in training you.

Time to nudge them by making them think they may lose you, so they better make it official.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post

Temping at the same company for more than a year is ridiculous and illegal in some states.

While your friend got hired, that is not the norm.

Also temp agencies are known to make every position "temp to perm" to make it more appealing, when in fact the company has no intention of bringing anyone on full time.

Sounds like in this case the OP since the agency is "in house" may actually get hired, but many times "temp to perm" is just used to string people along.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,016,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Temping at the same company for more than a year is ridiculous and illegal in some states.

While your friend got hired, that is not the norm.

Also temp agencies are known to make every position "temp to perm" to make it more appealing, when in fact the company has no intention of bringing anyone on full time.

Sounds like in this case the OP since the agency is "in house" may actually get hired, but many times "temp to perm" is just used to string people along.

^^^^^^ This!! I remember some poster that is in management ripping me for saying basically this.

but it's true-they dangle the carrot. Also the poster that said they may put you in another 90 day probation to avoid benefits is spot on! I've that happen way too much.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,331,997 times
It is an absolute plague in my profession. We work with nasty, toxic carcinogenic chemicals for companies that won't even provide healthcare benefits.

Anyone who is in a temp or temp to hire job and not actively seeking employment on the side is a sucker.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is an absolute plague in my profession. We work with nasty, toxic carcinogenic chemicals for companies that won't even provide healthcare benefits.

Anyone who is in a temp or temp to hire job and not actively seeking employment on the side is a sucker.
Agreed. Even getting a temp assignment these days is like getting a permanent job. The stupid vetting for a temp position boggles the mind.

Might as well go through all of that for a permanent gig.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 23,283 times
Keep looking for full time employment until they make it official or if you land something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment