Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Library, teacher. Do you have a degree and if so, in what?
Librarian? No way. Most librarians I know (including me) sit in front of a computer all day. If you're a cataloger you're on a computer non-stop; if you're a collection development or reference librarian, you'll need the computer pretty much all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I work as a Media Tech, not a computer Tech. I get to do a variety of things each day like use a computer, but also respond to calls or requests for help in classrooms and a lab with software or media hardware. That way I am not sitting all the time. I think it is pretty ideal for my personality. I can't picture doing much else day to day.

I get to use my troubleshooting mechanical skills in figuring out and solving why the video projector, podium or microphone is not working and get it working. I don't have to talk much and I like that. In the lab I help with a software question but I get to walk over there and listen, talk a bit and help. I also can play with the equipment and test it and re-organize closets and cables if i am bored at the computer surfing the net. I am a "fireman" in a way waiting toll a problem occurs. Sometimes in my spare time if it is slow I can do a drawing or make a collage. I don't do too much of that though because it might get noticed I have free time.

The downside to many people is the pay but I don't want a high paying job. I prioritize happiness over money. some other jobs I have done or considered because I hate sitting all day are: cook, cashier, copier repair tech, telephone company install tech, medical equipment repair person.

I work for a college too so I get Spring break off (not all colleges do). I like that.

You would need a 2 year degree in communications to get this type job and some experience. The way to get experience is get a part time job at a college media department or a hotel AV job(grueling possibly).

Last edited by creepy; 09-29-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
"Hate to tell ya, but computers are used even in Amish places of business!"

That was not so helpful to the OP. Maybe stay on topic.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Well its not that I dont know how use a computer (Ive done freelance pc fixing) its just after staring at a screen for 8 hours it becomes.......tiresome. I also hate sitting still for long periods of time. I need to be active.
One of my coworkers stands all day. He just uses a platform to place his computer on so he can still work while he's standing up. Another coworker has this bicycle wheel thing under her desk so she can stay active as she pleases.

For me, I get up every few hours and take a walk. I never use my full hour during lunch anyway so I have some time to go outside. Catch a breather. Relax.

It doesn't really bother me too much to be on the computer all day. What is scary is that when I get home I'm also on a computer- watching Hulu, checking emails, research home buying, etc. It's a lot of hours per day :/

Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I sit at home all day in front of a computer as an app developer, but I take breaks and watch tv shows on it or surf the web or listen to music while I work. Having nobody to talk to - now that's the real boring part - not the part about having to sit in front of a screen all day.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:18 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
In general, not being versatile or flexible just means you won't be very good at most jobs.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Outside of IT, phone rooms, analysts, graphic design, and bookkeeping type stuff, very few jobs require you to sit at a computer all day. I am an accountant and I do not sit at a computer all day, in fact I spent less than half of my time in front of a computer, usually I spend more than half of each day meeting with clients and prospective clients, in meetings with staff, or traveling to clients offices or networking meetings.
I agree. Basically in any office job, the more you move up the career ladder the less time you spend in front of a computer "doing tasks" and the more time you spend meeting with people, making decisions, reviewing the work of subordinates (on printed paper if that's your preference), etc. Even programmers I know eventually move up into management and spend less time programming. I actually know a few programmers who took pay cuts and/or went into freelancing, because they wanted to spend more time on the computer and less in meetings!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM

46 posts, read 59,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I work as a Media Tech, not a computer Tech. I get to do a variety of things each day like use a computer, but also respond to calls or requests for help in classrooms and a lab with software or media hardware. That way I am not sitting all the time. I think it is pretty ideal for my personality. I can't picture doing much else day to day.

I get to use my troubleshooting mechanical skills in figuring out and solving why the video projector, podium or microphone is not working and get it working. I don't have to talk much and I like that. In the lab I help with a software question but I get to walk over there and listen, talk a bit and help. I also can play with the equipment and test it and re-organize closets and cables if i am bored at the computer surfing the net. I am a "fireman" in a way waiting toll a problem occurs. Sometimes in my spare time if it is slow I can do a drawing or make a collage. I don't do too much of that though because it might get noticed I have free time.

The downside to many people is the pay but I don't want a high paying job. I prioritize happiness over money. some other jobs I have done or considered because I hate sitting all day are: cook, cashier, copier repair tech, telephone company install tech, medical equipment repair person.

I work for a college too so I get Spring break off (not all colleges do). I like that.

You would need a 2 year degree in communications to get this type job and some experience. The way to get experience is get a part time job at a college media department or a hotel AV job(grueling possibly).
woah..please tell me more about this career path. sounds like the perfect blend of IT X Communications.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM

46 posts, read 59,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
One of my coworkers stands all day. He just uses a platform to place his computer on so he can still work while he's standing up. Another coworker has this bicycle wheel thing under her desk so she can stay active as she pleases.

For me, I get up every few hours and take a walk. I never use my full hour during lunch anyway so I have some time to go outside. Catch a breather. Relax.

It doesn't really bother me too much to be on the computer all day. What is scary is that when I get home I'm also on a computer- watching Hulu, checking emails, research home buying, etc. It's a lot of hours per day :/
Yeah, no disrespect but you don't have true ADD then. For us folks, even standing after 10 minutes we become restless/bored.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
If you're in a computer job, take breaks every 1.5 hours, or when you reach a natural breaking point in your work. When I get lunch, I get away from the desk and computer. Some people eat in front of the computer so they can say they're working during lunch and leave earlier otherwise. I print out stuff and read it to pass that off as working. Then there are some places that don't watch you like a hawk. If you want to leave half an hour early but are still getting your work done, knock yourself out.

If you're at a computer job where they give you grief about leaving your desk too often or for extended periods of time, it may be time to find new work anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment