Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,764,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Sucks for the next generation of 20's and 30's. My job just promoted a guy in his 60's over two perfectly capable guys in their early 30's.

Was a big kick in the balls for me and those other two guys.

Many of those in my job are about to collect double retirements. They will not leave which is stifling others potential.

Time to look for greener pastures. Who wants to wait 10..20 years to get a promotion.
That's a bit why I left the private sector. If the company wasn't expanding you pretty much had to wait for someone to quit, get fired or pass away. Very few got fired and when the economy dipped few quit so you are basically waiting for death. Actual new openings were rare because of the slowdown.

Meanwhile I saw so many retirements in the public sector I just had to go. Double dipping is also illegal so you have to pick one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,835,433 times
I thought the headlines are about people who gave up work long ago, especially after the economic collapse, and have no desire to reenter the labor force. Imagine how high unemployment would be had they not dropped out.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM

435 posts, read 633,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Sucks for the next generation of 20's and 30's. My job just promoted a guy in his 60's over two perfectly capable guys in their early 30's.

Was a big kick in the balls for me and those other two guys.

Many of those in my job are about to collect double retirements. They will not leave which is stifling others potential.

Time to look for greener pastures. Who wants to wait 10..20 years to get a promotion.
Older workers are NOT stifling the potential of younger workers. Casting blame on others is not the way to get ahead. A person in his 60s is just as entitled to work as a 30 year old.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,245,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Funny that you can evidence a personality trait because I used the word greedy. So let's play the same game, I assume you are a baby-boomer?

I don't have to explain where I come from to reinforce my statement. Everything was easy because the competence was not that hard when they were young, the income level was higher compared to today's wages and the education requirements to secure a job didn't ask for a Master's for an entry level vacancy.

Companies are dynamic organisms that need to regenerate. No one is indispensable.
The only people that I ever hear use the word are those that are themselves greedy. Lets see how that works.

Someone complaines because someone else has something that they worked for. A nice home, a beautiful car, maybe its because they can take a nice vacation now and then. The party using the word says that the accomplished person is greedy for having all that they have. The person using the word normally wants what the other party has earned and worked hard to get. What I seldom see is a plan for getting those things or what they themselves have done to get a better position in life, a nicer home, nicer car, or take trips themselves. Before throwing that word around please inform others to what you have done to earn a better job.

I was born in 1965 so I am not in the Baby Boom generation.

Most women when I was a kid stayed home to take care of the house. The reason is because many of the things that they have now did not exist. They used to have classes, even in the early 80's when I was in high school called Home Economics. Girls were taught to clean, cook, sew, and manage a home because the husband would be at work. When I was growing up few women worked. Men worked and women were housewives. The reason for this was it was hard to run a home. Few of the things that we have now were around back then.

It was a cheaper way to live, no cell phone bill, no cable bill, few electronics. Life was simpler. My mom has never driven a car and many women that I remember back then did not drive. One car families was a normal thing back when I was a kid.

Was it easier back then? Yes. Could most of us go back to that lifestyle? Probably not.

When I was a kid living in Southern California we had a garden to raise food, had ducks and chickens for food, canned our own food, my mom made a lot of our clothes, my dad built most of our furniture, if we wanted something we made it. Kids back then were always working on their bikes and later their cars. That easy life you are talking about took a lot of time out of our days to make it work. But you can feel free to join the old days if you like.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,650,502 times
I promise you that it is not a one for one replacement situation when a Boomer does retire. If they filled a key position that requires a body, it is quite likely the company is going to hire someone from the industry who is no hungry 30 year old. If they never made it to that level, their duties will just be spread across whoever can deal. Repeat ad nauseum until after several retirements/departures, performance suffers enough to bring someone in.

In my company, we have to lose 3 to hire 1. I was hired as site supervisor to replace the previous supervisor who was fired, AND her boss the manager who quit, and my first assigned objective was to reduce by staffing by 2 FTE!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Funny that you can evidence a personality trait because I used the word greedy. So let's play the same game, I assume you are a baby-boomer?

I don't have to explain where I come from to reinforce my statement. Everything was easy because the competence was not that hard when they were young, the income level was higher compared to today's wages and the education requirements to secure a job didn't ask for a Master's for an entry level vacancy.

Companies are dynamic organisms that need to regenerate. No one is indispensable.
By the way, you have yet to prove your point that things were easier back then.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Hmmm...

Are jobs plentiful where you all live? I thought that wasn't the case so much anymore.

Where I work, we changed the ordinance to stop retirees from holding part time positions. Why? Jobs were scarce enough....why would we pay someone a pension AND a part time paycheck? These part time positions could go to someone with no income coming in at all.

I could see if the retirees could barely support themselves. But if you can live comfortably on your retirement, why take away a paid position from someone else? How is that not greedy?

And doesn't volunteering prevent boredom as well as a paid position?
That is amazing that someone is legislating who can work. I thought that we had gotten away from that kind of thing.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
I love your enthusiasm, do you mind me asking what you do?
I work for a healthcare organization. When I started here it was a single hospital with a couple clinics. Now we have two hospitals and will be opening our 12th clinic soon. we also have multiple medical office buildings a 50,000 square foot data center, own 51% of an imaging company that has 4 local locations, and are in the last 18 months of completing a brand new 325,000 square foot 240 + bed replacement hospital. I work in the facilities and construction Department. I started as a locksmith for the hospital, learned both Maintenance and Plant Operations, became a project manager, department educator, and now oversee Space planning.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:50 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,206,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have no idea what she does with her money living alone with a paid-off house.
Hopefully enjoying life to the fullest.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Nobody can make it 30 years at a company anymore, because most companies go out of business before that time. There are also far more layoffs than in previous generations.
I have been at the hospital for closing in on 17 years and have no doubt that I can survive at least another 20 years here based on current financial and industry projections. Our new hospital will not even be completed for another year and a half and as far as I know it is not going anywhere. We are one of the top performing hospitals and healthcare organizations financially in the nation. My job may open up but only because i will have moved up or over to another position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment